Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobsbridge, Internships, and how the Scheme could be improved.

• 30-12-2011 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭

I am aware of a long established small company in a large town in South Tipperary who wishes to recruit two “Trainee Managers” under the FAS, Jobs bridge Internship scheme.

The company concerned already employs a total of ten people, six of whom have been working in the company for over thirty years; the four other workers have an average of ten years experience each in the same company.

The same company is well qualified through its staff, and its experience in the market place, employing modern business methods to offer very worthwhile opportunities to prospective job seekers.

The employer is aware for some time now that “certain out of pocket expenses are allowable, and suggested that interested applicants check with their local social protection office to see what “ out of pocket expenses will be allowed” these of course to be paid by the employer. The employer in question has placed the above information on it’s ad on the web site. Regrettably this info was deleted from it’s ad before publication.

Fas and Jobs bridge have a part to play along with employers to help the country recover from the economic crisis. The onus is on us all to pursue efficiencies and insist that the highest standards from those charged with the overseeing of these particular schemes.

P.S. The €50 payment by employers is far too small and I would like to see this increased.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Xenophile wrote: »

P.S. The €50 payment by employers is far too small and I would like to see this increased.

The employer doesn't pay the 50 - that is funded by the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The department of social protection is paying the extra €50.

From what I've seen of Jobsbridge the state would be better off without it. A large section of the jobs are essentially free work for employers. A lot of those positions could be economically sound paid positions if the state wasn't bending over backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

In any case I thought there was a rule prohibiting a company with only ten staff from taking on two interns? (Is it not one intern for every ten staff or something like that?). Open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shalashaska

Niles wrote: »
    In any case I thought there was a rule prohibiting a company with only ten staff from taking on two interns? (Is it not one intern for every ten staff or something like that?). Open to correction though.

You are correct, Niles.

I shall add my 2c about the Job Bridge scheme. I did a FÁS WPP (different name – same game) some months ago and I am still with them now as a paid employee, thus working out positively for me. Whilst the scheme is noble in its intentions to get fresh graduates the opportunity to get experience, it is clearly reducing the potential for paid job creation, especially at entry-level.

However, I think that the employer should have to pay a small supplement (€100-€150 per week) instead of the DSP giving out an extra €50 a week per intern from the ever-strained public purse.

OP: You seem to know a lot about this company :) (who seem genuine in their intentions of giving an opportunity to grads).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

You are correct, Niles.

I shall add my 2c about the Job Bridge scheme. I did a FÁS WPP (different name – same game) some months ago and I am still with them now as a paid employee, thus working out positively for me. Whilst the scheme is noble in its intentions to get fresh graduates the opportunity to get experience, it is clearly reducing the potential for paid job creation, especially at entry-level.

However, I think that the employer should have to pay a small supplement (€100-€150 per week) instead of the DSP giving out an extra €50 a week per intern from the ever-strained public purse.

OP: You seem to know a lot about this company :) (who seem genuine in their intentions of giving an opportunity to grads).

Thanks to the above posters for pointing out the correction in relation to the numbers required to take on two interns. Yes I do know quite a bit about this company and they are genuine about listing these opportunities which may result in at least one in full time position if a suitable applicant proves that he or she has management potential. Re the numbers........ When the owner/managing director is included, and that his sole employment the total number of employees comes to 11 which qualifies the company to take on 2 interns. Thanks again to the posters who pointed out this necessary correction.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Abolish the minimum wage and the jobbridge scheme. Let employers pay somebody 250 quid a week themselves if they are looking for internships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Abolish the minimum wage and the jobbridge scheme. Let employers pay somebody 250 quid a week themselves if they are looking for internships.
    90% of direct internships are unpaid

As Ive said before, the Jobsbridge scheme is pretty scammy and being taken advantage of

But if you make the effort to get out of it what you want, then it can work to your advantage

They need to be more strict with who they allow to take on interns though

They have internships for a bloody floor staff job in Spar! And not only do employers get a free full time member of staff, but by hiring an intern they will also get tax allowances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Ah the job bridge scam which is taking money from my private pension that I have no access till i retire in another 30 odd years to prop up private companies with free labour,As my all lad says a man willing to work for nothing will never be idle I recently. passed three exams wiitch gives me a professional qual yet when I looked for funding through the state agencies all i got was a pfo response.
    Yet. I just missed out on applying. for a full time position with my new quals this scam/scheme is replacing what should be full time jobs in certain industries with freebies. for certain employers.
    Even college grads for years started on a low salary in their first job before getting increments,imo the govt haven't a clue what to do and Im sure its the same in other countries there just hoping that the worlds. economy will pick up and some jobs might become available.

I understand that there are a lot of people seeking work that are unhappy with the overall employment situation. I am sure there are many employers who are prepared to pay the maximum "out of pocket" expenses to a suitable candidate..............but really it is up to the applicant to go check what expenses they would be allowed................say for instance if they had to relocate or say travelling and other expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

if they really want to mimprove the chances of people getting benificial training from this scheme they should have the employer make a case, or at least some form of proposal to the local DSP to show what they will offer the intern.

at the end of the day the company has great benifit from hiring someone through this scheme and they should be made to show what they will give back, but companies like spar and tesco who look for floor staff for it should be told where to go, they will just get another batch in after the nine months.

i would also still love to see statistics on how many people from these schemes actually go on to gain full time employment in the given companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I've no problem with the scheme in principle, but it really needs to be tightened up. I'd agree that the likes of Spar, Tesco, Service stations etc, looking for interns is just taking the piss. I mean fair enough if was a trainee-managerial type role, but "learning" how to make coffee/fuel cars/work a till???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Putting the correct jobs in the correct sector on the search page would be a start. The amount of engineering jobs that should be in the production/ENGINEERING/science sector and not the building & construction sector is unacceptable.

allibastor wrote: »
    if they really want to mimprove the chances of people getting benificial training from this scheme they should have the employer make a case, or at least some form of proposal to the local DSP to show what they will offer the intern.

As I mentioned in my opening post employers are not allowed to state on the recruitment ad that candidates may qualify for out of pocket expenses. This is something that applicants must do for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

Xenophile wrote: »
    As I mentioned in my opening post employers are not allowed to state on the recruitment ad that candidates may qualify for out of pocket expenses. This is something that applicants must do for themselves.

The whole thing is run and set up very badly. There are vacancies now filled by internships this was not meant to be the case but it is true, greedy employers are bringing in money through the unfortunate people who have lost their jobs and they won't be kept in the job after they have completed it as I have already taken part in a WWP and there was a genuine vacancy my direct supervisor pleaded with the BOM to keep me and they proceeded to contact FAS to ask for another person and FAS Clonmel jumped to find someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Boofle

I am about to begin an internship in a company but this isn't a true 'internship'. . . I am going to be trained up and then the woman who is training me is going on maternity leave! I considered not taking the internship when I was introduced to the lady who I will be replacing and realised she was about 8 months pregnant!

I deliberated about whether or not to take up this 'internship' but I have decided that although the company is being ridiculously greedy and actually going against everything Jobbridge is supposed to be about - I will get 6 months experience out of it and I am going crazy not working. :eek:

I agree with other posters that the employers could at least pay the paltry €50 to the intern! And in any case €50 isn't going to go very far -once I have paid for transport to and from work, lunches, work clothes etc - just the regular costs of working.

Boofle wrote: »
    I am about to begin an internship in a company but this isn't a true 'internship'. . . I am going to be trained up and then the woman who is training me is going on maternity leave! I considered not taking the internship when I was introduced to the lady who I will be replacing and realised she was about 8 months pregnant!

I deliberated about whether or not to take up this 'internship' but I have decided that although the company is being ridiculously greedy and actually going against everything Jobbridge is supposed to be about - I will get 6 months experience out of it and I am going crazy not working. :eek:

I agree with other posters that the employers could at least pay the paltry €50 to the intern! And in any case €50 isn't going to go very far -once I have paid for transport to and from work, lunches, work clothes etc - just the regular costs of working.

When she goes on maternity leave is there someone there to mentor you? if not then they really need to be reported. I know your probably cracking up with having no work - and you will get 6 months experience but the whole concept is wrong, the idea behind it was from what I gather you get mentored right through and well and good if there is a chance to be taken on full time with a wage - but in your case like so many there is a vacancy. This is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Boofle

nowayjosie wrote: »
    When she goes on maternity leave is there someone there to mentor you? if not then they really need to be reported. I know your probably cracking up with having no work - and you will get 6 months experience but the whole concept is wrong, the idea behind it was from what I gather you get mentored right through and well and good if there is a chance to be taken on full time with a wage - but in your case like so many there is a vacancy. This is wrong.

There will be nobody mentoring me once she goes on maternity leave. The manager who was showing me around last week and explaining what the internship would entail told me that I would be sitting in a chair beside her desk for the next couple of weeks and once she is gone I will be moving into her chair!! He thought it was great altogether when he was pointing at the chair!

Yes, definitely the entire concept is entirely wrong; this is an actual vacancy that should have been advertised. But sure why would an employer bother paying someone for 6 months when he can just ring up FAS and get a free employee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've commented on other threads about Jobbridge. Personally, I think the Govt have dropped the ball on this one. In principle, I think Jobbridge could be an excellent opportunity to learn new skills and expand on existing ones.

But I think the system is WIDE open to abuse. I've seen internships for positions like Forecourt Attendants and Chambermaids in hotels which are clearly not. But there are also some great ones which DO stretch the individuals and have even led to permanent employment.

I've reported several ads which appear to abuse the system and am awaiting a response from Welfare. I've also raised the matter with my local TD's. I have to say only one has responded stating that she has raised the matter with Joan Burton. I have yet to receive a response to that too.

I feel several questions need to be answered:

• Was there a benchmarking exercise carried out to determine what the criteria should be for an internship?
    • What quality checks are carried out to ensure the system is not abused? (i.e. the position offered is indeed an internship with a real opportunity to learn and train, and not a ‘cheap labour’ role.)
    • What sanctions (if any) are taken against employers who are shown to abuse the system?
    • Could prospective interns be discriminated against on grounds of age for example?
    • How is the success of the employee measured? Is this recorded?
    • Are there any statistics showing the number/percentage of people who have been successful in obtaining permanent employment following the successful completion of an internship?

I have the awful feeling that I may never get a reply. But I am determined to keep raising the issue. This needs to be addressed in a respectful and constructive way rather than going on a rant which could be counterproductive.

I've commented on other threads about Jobbridge. Personally, I think the Govt have dropped the ball on this one. In principle, I think Jobbridge could be an excellent opportunity to learn new skills and expand on existing ones.

But I think the system is WIDE open to abuse. I've seen internships for positions like Forecourt Attendants and Chambermaids in hotels which are clearly not. But there are also some great ones which DO stretch the individuals and have even led to permanent employment.

I've reported several ads which appear to abuse the system and am awaiting a response from Welfare. I've also raised the matter with my local TD's. I have to say only one has responded stating that she has raised the matter with Joan Burton. I have yet to receive a response to that too.

• Was there a benchmarking exercise carried out to determine what the criteria should be for an internship?
    • What quality checks are carried out to ensure the system is not abused? (i.e. the position offered is indeed an internship with a real opportunity to learn and train, and not a ‘cheap labour’ role.)
    • What sanctions (if any) are taken against employers who are shown to abuse the system?
    • Could prospective interns be discriminated against on grounds of age for example?
    • Are there any statistics showing the number/percentage of people who have been successful in obtaining permanent employment following the successful completion of an internship?

I have the awful feeling that I may never get a reply. But I am determined to keep raising the issue. This needs to be addressed in a respectful and constructive way rather than going on a rant which could be counterproductive.

Are you based in Clonmel????

I have the awful feeling that I may never get a reply. But I am determined to keep raising the issue. This needs to be addressed in a respectful and constructive way rather than going on a rant which could be counterproductive.[/QUO

Are you based in Clonmel????????????????

• Advertisement

Are you based in Clonmel????????????????

The username should give you a clue....;)

Oh ok - You would use user names as a clue as to where people are based! ok lets see now my user name is nowayjosie so I suppose you can tell where I'm from and the poster " Boofle" is from???? Co. Boofle?? Look never mind I'd an interest in your post up to now.

Oh ok - You would use user names as a clue as to where people are based! ok lets see now my user name is nowayjosie so I suppose you can tell where I'm from and the poster " Boofle" is from???? Co. Boofle?? Look never mind I'd an interest in your post up to now.

I'll break it down for you. A...Bajan...in...CORK.... Got it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

City or county??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I saw an internship for a "market research trainee" (ie Telesales) in Call Text Solutions in Rathmines today. I feel sorry for that individual. The company has a bad reputation for how it treats employees.

frag420 wrote: »
    City or county??:D

City, Boyyyy! :D

Ok brilliant - now what steps have you taken to find out some of the answers to the questions you have about this?????????

Ok brilliant - now what steps have you taken to find out some of the answers to the questions you have about this?????????

Why don't you READ and UNDERSTAND what I've previously written? Or is that too much trouble???

Why don't you READ and UNDERSTAND what I've previously written? Or is that too much trouble???

I have read your post - according to you - your still waiting on answers - SO I asked you what steps have you taken in getting these ignored questions answered? You also said "I have the awful feeling that I may never get a reply. But I am determined to keep raising the issue. This needs to be addressed in a respectful and constructive way rather than going on a rant which could be counterproductive" So I just wondered what steps you have taken to get this questions answered - I thought that was a valid question because I have a genuine interest in what you are saying and I agree with you. You were very rude to me in an earlier post - and I ignored it and continued to read the posts on this - including your post with interest - but I find you very rude to communicate. I apologise if I have annoyed you but to be honest I think you could take a leaf out of your own book as the saying goes "respectful and constructive" are two words you used - maybe you should apply them to how you communicate with people who have an interest in what you are saying. The best of luck in your search for answers - I think myself that people are being used and I hope people cop on to this and stop applying for these - as far as I am aware they are not compulsory, but I have heard they may be made compulsory in the future for the longterm unemployed.

• Advertisement

I have read your post - according to you - your still waiting on answers - SO I asked you what steps have you taken in getting these ignored questions answered? You also said "I have the awful feeling that I may never get a reply. But I am determined to keep raising the issue. This needs to be addressed in a respectful and constructive way rather than going on a rant which could be counterproductive" So I just wondered what steps you have taken to get this questions answered - I thought that was a valid question because I have a genuine interest in what you are saying and I agree with you. You were very rude to me in an earlier post - and I ignored it and continued to read the posts on this - including your post with interest - but I find you very rude to communicate. I apologise if I have annoyed you but to be honest I think you could take a leaf out of your own book as the saying goes "respectful and constructive" are two words you used - maybe you should apply them to how you communicate with people who have an interest in what you are saying. The best of luck in your search for answers - I think myself that people are being used and I hope people cop on to this and stop applying for these - as far as I am aware they are not compulsory, but I have heard they may be made compulsory in the future for the longterm unemployed.

Look. This is dragging what is a great thread off topic. And I'm getting a little bored with the childish comments. I WASN'T rude to you - did you notice the 'smiley'? YOU were very rude & sarcastic to ME. But - no matter. I will answer you.

FWIW. We seem to agree. Great. The more people complain and comment about this, the better. I agree that some employers are playing on people's desperation to work and are simply exploiting that to their advantage. DPS have a 20 working day lead time to answer complaints/comments which has not yet passed. That is why I stated I was still awaiting a response.

I have diaried my complaint out until next week, then I will contact Welfare again. I will also contact Michael Martin as he seems to be the only Cork TD attending the Dail ATM (from what I have seen on TV!) and he might be able to push for answers.

NWJ - Have YOU raised your concerns with your local TD's/Joan Burton? Like I say, the way forward is to make your concerns known to anyone who will listen, rather than having a pop at me...

Advertisement