Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 15GB allowance each month much?

• 09-08-2010 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi,i am thinking of getting the plug in modem for my laptop from 02 and have no idea how much 15gb is in relation to usage... can anyone tell me what kinda limits this is? like is this just enough for checking mails and simple things like that? Any advice much appreciated..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

More than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

If your a torrent user it's quite little. For everything else it should do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You won't watch much video (RTE player, Youtube etc) with 15G. But then about 50% of time Mobile isn't good enough for decent quality video streaming.

15G is loads for just non-video web browsing and email for one person.

watty wrote: »
    You won't watch much video (RTE player, Youtube etc) with 15G. But then about 50% of time Mobile isn't good enough for decent quality video streaming.

15G is loads for just non-video web browsing and email for one person.

Surprisingly Imagine Wimax mobile broadband is for my friend. He gets 7.2mbs down and 1.2 up off peak and 5mbps down and 0.6 up at peak times :p Amazing for a mobile device :)

OSI wrote: »
    Completely different technology though

It's also quite impressive seeing as their bundles have a maximum upload speed of 512kb/s

Actually the mobile bundles only offer 256kb/s!! http://www.imagine.ie/wimax_gomobile.html
    Even more impressive. I think he may be just lucky though cus judging from other people's experiences here on boards not everyone has had a great service with them. + Imagine is cheeper then other mobile broadband services :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    Actually the mobile bundles only offer 256kb/s!! http://www.imagine.ie/wimax_gomobile.html
    Even more impressive. I think he may be just lucky though cus judging from other people's experiences here on boards not everyone has had a great service with them. + Imagine is cheeper then other mobile broadband services :)

Think 3 do the dongle for €9.99 pm as well but the thing is you are tied into a 12/18 month contract. Not sure about 3 but don't think wimax do a prepay or pay as you go service. This is great if the service is poor as you can leave at any time.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Think 3 do the dongle for €9.99 pm as well but the thing is you are tied into a 12/18 month contract. Not sure about 3 but don't think wimax do a prepay or pay as you go service. This is great if the service is poor as you can leave at any time.

Yup they do but I meant that it's cheaper then the competitors on the same package ( 15G allowance ) competitors charge 19.99 pm while imagine charge 15 euros but for that you get Wimax which is generally better then 3G and sometimes a whole hell of allot faster. e.g like my friend's case :D ( For 9.99 pm with three you only get 1G download allowance which is useless really )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

The alowance really depends on how you use it. I can use 15GB up easily in a week downloading stuff but my son who plays a lot of online games and is online for at least 4 hours everyday its more than enough. Only way you can test it is to use it, so why not get a modem with a pay as you go sim and top it up for a month then you'll know.

ttm wrote: »
    The alowance really depends on how you use it. I can use 15GB up easily in a week downloading stuff but my son who plays a lot of online games and is online for at least 4 hours everyday its more than enough. Only way you can test it is to use it, so why not get a modem with a pay as you go sim and top it up for a month then you'll know.

Good idea but a pay as you go sim doesn't give a 15GB limit it's only 5Gb or around that. 15G is only available on a contract :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    Good idea but a pay as you go sim doesn't give a 15GB limit it's only 5Gb or around that. 15G is only available on a contract :)

http://www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/prepay.htm

3Pay Broadband
    Package Data Allowance Price
    Broadband Day 1 day of access 500MB €5
    Broadband Week 1 week of access 2GB €10
    Broadband Month 1GB 30 days of access 1GB €15
    Broadband Month 7.5GB 30 days of access 7.5GB €25
    Broadband Month 20GB 30 days of access 20GB €35
    Out of Bundle charging Per MB of data 99c

I'm not a fan of 3 but you can get a modem on line from them for 20euro so for 55euro (or much less) you can check out if the system will work for you and save youself getting stuck with the all to often encountered poor 3 service and support if things don't work.

If it works and there is NO other option then go for the contract. Big problem is if it works OK it might get really bad months or even weeks down the road if more people start using the service in the same area.

Edit> I know the OP said 02 which is indeed ~20euro for 5GB Pay as you go, but if that only lasts a week or less then 15GB isn't going to last the month out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement