Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting new friends Galway...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Oops linky is on my facebook, but if you google or facebook galway band 'The Followers of Otis' it is on their page.... Hope that Plug is allowed!

EDIT: Found link: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=278367293556&ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Daaboo

Hi everyone,

We all know that tag rugby is brilliant for the social life. We need a people who would be interested in playing. We train twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays. Were a team of absolute beginners that met on boards. Post on the thread if you'd like to join us or just turn up to training.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795136

Daaboo!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

A woman from sligo i know who lives in galway now said to me that galway is notoriously difficult to make friends in.
    and an american girl i used to work with found it extremely difficult to make friends in galway, and all her friends ended up being english or welsh.

i too find it extremely difficult to make friends in this God-forsaken county.
    as the years go by it seems to be getting harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

hyperbaby wrote: »
    i too find it extremely difficult to make friends in this God-forsaken county.

There's a clue hidden in there somewhere...

My attempt at being facetious was a waste...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A strange rule of thumb (excuse the horrible saying) that a friend once said to me..
    "try chatting to people with funky hats, that don't smell bad.."

Always seems to work!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

inisboffin wrote: »
    A strange rule of thumb (excuse the horrible saying) that a friend once said to me..
    "try chatting to people with funky hats, that don't smell bad.."

Always seems to work!

Makes a lot of sense really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 miqui

Hi Paula,

hope you have been successful in meeting new people in Galway? I am in the same situation as you....if you fancy meeting up for coffee some saturday let me know. It would be good to meet:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Daaboo wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We all know that tag rugby is brilliant for the social life. We need a people who would be interested in playing. We train twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays. Were a team of absolute beginners that met on boards. Post on the thread if you'd like to join us or just turn up to training.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795136

Daaboo!
    Sounds good, i applied for a job in Galway and if i get it i would love to play :D

Good bit of interest in a 'ladies only do' in the near future...got a few PMs about...any one else keen?
    Also wondering if anyone had any suggestions as an alternative to a beers nights...I dunno, suggestions welcome..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

How about Bowling or a themed night? Spanish with tapas or something similar?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If I wasnt leaving Galway in a month I'd be up for meeting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

An alternative to just beer would be cool. I met a bunch of people travelling recently and we got pretty drunk. Now I have a bunch of email addresses for people I can't remember LOL

The only things I can think of at the moment are: coffee upstairs in Javas where there's a bit more space, .. crikey that's all I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Haven't been bowling in yonks - could be fun. (I'm a terrible bowler, though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Original Steyr

WELL..

If anybody is interested im going into town to watch Ireland play on Saturday against France, heading in with a few heads, anybody interested? Karl? Robbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Good bit of interest in a 'ladies only do' in the near future...got a few PMs about...any one else keen?
    Also wondering if anyone had any suggestions as an alternative to a beers nights...I dunno, suggestions welcome..

Hi would def be up for a ladies beers night soon ! Should be fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

I would be up for a beers night soon, when and where? will everyone be near enough strangers or some groups of mates? I quite fancy coming on my own so just wondering :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Daaboo

Big Haitian Fundraiser out in Corinthians this weekend on Saturday. €10 in, there are hundreds of people going, to watch the big game, the Corinthian game and the €10 includes a bus back to town after. Should be a great way to spend the day for anyone thats interested! :)

MagicM83 wrote: »
    I would be up for a beers night soon, when and where? will everyone be near enough strangers or some groups of mates? I quite fancy coming on my own so just wondering :-)

I went along to the last one in the Salthouse and it turned out to be a great night. Had great conversations, boardsies are a very friendly lot you'll find! So don't hesitate to come along on your own.

I would be going on my own as well so don't worry:)

• Advertisement

wher would the ladies beer nite be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Original Steyr

miqui wrote: »
    wher would the ladies beer nite be??

Wherever the Wimmins pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I might be up for Beers too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nimhbal

Hi guys
    Was really interested in this, am prob moving to Galway in August - ages away i know!! Panicking a bit as will know nobody and was wondering how to go bout meeting people!!Hope this will be happening then but prob will be up before then for a trip so might try it out:)

nimhbal wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Was really interested in this, am prob moving to Galway in August - ages away i know!! Panicking a bit as will know nobody and was wondering how to go bout meeting people!!Hope this will be happening then but prob will be up before then for a trip so might try it out:)

Don't worry, there's always boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nimhbal

Thankfully! Only someone told me bout it wld never have known!!Prob seems really early to be thinkin bout meet people as won't be there till august but still!!It'll stop me from panicking bout it:)

Thankfully! Only someone told me bout it wld never have known!!Prob seems really early to be thinkin bout meet people as won't be there till august but still!!It'll stop me from panicking bout it:)

Keep an eye on the galway city forum and you'll get an idea for what's going on, anyway, and chip in suggestions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Keep an eye on the galway city forum and you'll get an idea for what's going on, anyway, and chip in suggestions:)

And be warned.....at some point you're bound to hear 'Pics!' LOL :p

What age range are ye guys talking about with regards to meet up.
    people from their 20's and 30's?

• Advertisement

I moved to Galway from Dublin over 2 years ago and have found that getting involved in all kinds of different activites is much more accessible here, and that usually leads to friendships. There is a nice friendly running club in the city, and if you like water sports you could join the kayaking club or even try rowing. There's also a windsurfing school over in Rusheen Bay. PM me if you want any other info on these.
    And if you haven't done so already have a look at the bookclub forum too. They meet on Tuesday evenings. And we look forward to seeing you at the Boardsies beers nights !
    C.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement