Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging plasterboard - wich side out?

• 28-03-2007 12:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just spent a while hanging plasterboard in a room with the brown side out. I read in one book that if your skimming over it, you put the brown side out, but if your just taping and filling you hang the ivory side out. But then in another book I read it's always the ivory side out. Which is the correct way? And will I need to take it all down and hang it the other way?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

usually there is some writing or text on one side of the board and this side goes in to the wall. Im my experience it is the brown side to the wall but would depend on the manufacturer of the board. Is there writing facing you now? If so sorry but it think you gotta turn it...

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

ivory side all the way - hope you screwed it so you can switch around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

sorry man ivory side out.drywall screws ftw :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

no such luck. Nailed it all in :-( Time to order some new plasterboard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

Doesnt matter which side you use.

The skim actually sticks better to the brown side because its slightly rougher......but either way will do!

I work with stuff everyday!

Hope you didnt take it all down?

Giz a shout if you need a plasterer:D

• Advertisement

Hope you didnt take them down/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are you going to :
    1) skim it
    2) just tape & paint
    3) paper

If its 1 or 3 then the side doesnt really matter
    if its 2 then the ivory side is smoother and also lighter (for white walls etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are going to paper shouldn't you put a coat of paint on either raw plasterboard or skim, otherwise when you try to take the paper off you take off the surface of the plasterboard? Or have i been wasting my time?

looksee wrote:
    If you are going to paper shouldn't you put a coat of paint on either raw plasterboard or skim, otherwise when you try to take the paper off you take off the surface of the plasterboard? Or have i been wasting my time?

Hi Looksee,

Your intentions are spot on!

But there's no need to put paint on new plaster before wallpaper, but its not a bad idea to put paint on raw plasterboard.
    A sheen or mid-sheen paint would let you take the paper off easier!

Let me know if you have any kind of plastering problems, ie Walls, ceilings, insulation, external flashing and render.

Boards unofficial plastering expert:D

Plasto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭game4it70

dont paint p.board or plaster if papering.polybond is cheaper and more practical as paint will peel when stripping especialy if using a wallpaper strpper.
    regards a painter and decorator

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

didn't take it down. Thanks for your replies!! I was loosing some sleep there after hearing the first replies.

OK, so I'm going to hang some more plasterboard. What side would you recommend hanging out. I will be getting the whole lot skimmed.

PS. plasto, what are your rates, and where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

jdpl28 wrote:
    PS. plasto, what are your rates, and where are you based?

Reckon there'll be some off-line bargaining going on:D

Advertisement