Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your house was built on a cemetary - would you be worried?

• 24-02-2012 4:51am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was watching the 1980s horror film Poltergeist and the house in which the family that were terrorised by evil spirits was built on a burial ground.

If you found out that your beloved domicile was built over dead bodies, would it concern you? There apparently are stories of houses that were built over burial grounds that are haunted by ghosts/poltergeists and such.

Would it bother you? Would it worry you that a horde of rotting, skeletal corpses could smash up through your floor to take their vengeance out on you, your spouse, your 2.1 children and the family dog. What if the family gimp became possessed by evil spirits - would it put a dampner on your kinky sex sessions?

Does it keep you awake at night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

Parents house was built on something similar, I think it was to do with people who died in the workhouse! There was also a few nuns hanged on a tree up from the parents house.

In answer to your question... It scares the fnck out of me when I think about it but I grew up knowing so it has sunk in. Also I don't live with the parents anymore so that could be it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

An estimated 1.5 million people have been buried at Glasnevin cemetery.
    I haven't heard of any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It would bother me if I did a lot of gardening...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'd be more worried about the gardai finding out I built a cemetery beneath my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was watching the 1980s horror film Poltergeist and the house in which the family that were terrorised by evil spirits was built on a burial ground.

If you found out that your beloved domicile was built over dead bodies, would it concern you? There apparently are stories of houses that were built over burial grounds that are haunted by ghosts/poltergeists and such.

Would it bother you? Would it worry you that a horde of rotting, skeletal corpses could smash up through your floor to take their vengeance out on you, your spouse, your 2.1 children and the family dog. What if the family gimp became possessed by evil spirits - would it put a dampner on your kinky sex sessions?

Say whaaaaaat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

no, nice quiet neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A Catholics cemetery or Protestant one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

A Catholics cemetery or Protestant one?
    Catholic of course, sure the protestants don't have souls to turn into ghosts:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

There's a saying in another language that I know which translates into:
    "Be afraid of the alive, and not the dead" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭johnayo

Sure, isn't the wife under the patio. Shhhhhhh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good if you have a dog. Set it digging in the back and you wouldn't have to feed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

No, it wouldn't bother me, because I don't think zombie movies are actually documentaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

The-Rigger wrote: »

ah glasnevin cemetary.... i remember hearing that alot of people were dying to get in there... 1.5mil though it must be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They have these already all over Ireland. They are called Ghost Estates and it stems from the Celtic Tiger when land prices rose so high that people had to build anywhere they could get it, including some graveyards..

(Or such is my understanding)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Nope. I love those property programmes where they turn a church into a house and they have a cemetary in the garden. Always fancied living somewhere like that. Although I think I would have plenty of lights up the path!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Dovies wrote: »
    Nope. I love those property programmes where they turn a church into a house and they have a cemetary in the garden. Always fancied living somewhere like that.

Got 700k?

Come to Kilkenny home slice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

JupiterKid wrote: »

Lets be honest, there is probably ancient bodies buried in every bit of soil, all over Ireland.
    Bodies there for hundreds, if not thousands of years that long time ago has become one with the surrounding soil.

I would sleep soundly, hoping they too rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Now that most TV channels are broadcasting 24 hours, we're not left with white noise for the ghosts to come out through.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kane out of Poltergeist 2 is one scary b@stard

You're all gonna die in there! All of you! You are gonna die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

"you built my house on an indian burial ground, you son of a bitch, you bilt my house on an indian burial ground" That is what i screamed down the builders when l awoke to all my furniture floating in the living room. But it turned out they built it on a flood plain. You see there is always a rational explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It would be a grave situation.

I'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Problem is that as life shifted around the land, the dead get forgotten and covered over. It's almost impossible for one not to be living over a burial ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Lots of food for my pet worms, wouldn't have to go into town to buy that fancy shite anymore.

• It would bother me if I did a lot of gardening...
    What are you growing that needs you to dig down six feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What are you growing that needs you to dig down six feet!

Corpses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

The-Rigger wrote: »

There was a helicopter crash in glasnevin cemetery last week, so far they've found 10,000 bodies :D

• al28283 wrote: »
    There was a helicopter crash in glasnevin cemetery last week, so far they've found 10,000 bodies :D
    You should be asking, where did they bury the survivors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Catholic of course, sure the protestants don't have souls to turn into ghosts:rolleyes:
    Protestants were better fed though, so your garden would be a lot better if it was over a Protestant graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

only if it was a Pet Cemetery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

noticed a old man the other week in a dublin graveyard chipping away at a tomb stone when i asked him what he was doing,he said they got my name wrong

Advertisement