Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this song not blow your mind?? (Fireflight)

• 20-02-2012 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Cause it blows mine.

Every so often there's this song that just totally takes this music to the next level IMO.

I've listened to fireflight on and off for a while.
    Unbreakable was really good.

But this song is ahead of it's time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

This song blows my mind not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't know what's more offensive, the obvious shill, or the bland boring music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Spagetti Hair

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't know what's more offensive, the obvious shill, or the bland boring music?

lolwut?

lolwut?

"Hey guys, check out this band that I'm totally not affiliated with in any way, and didn't sign up here just to promote, I'm just a genuine fan really, and this totally takes bland to a new level of beige IMO!!!"

:pac:

Oh I get it.

You think that by my being based in Europe and having absolutely nothing to do with the music industry, I'm somehow endeavoring to promote a US based music group by posting on a small Irish website?

Well, what can I say?

You got me!

I am so embarrassed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I wouldn't say small Irish Website... It's pretty much the largest of it's type in the country.

Re: the video. Nothing that hasn't been heard before tbh, bit generic but if that's whats in then so be it.

Btw if you want ahead of it's time:

Woah, what is that **** assaulting my eardrums.

I'll take generic any day ahead of that.

Yeah, typically I'm not a big rock music fan.
    When I was younger I used to play guitar so I'd listen to megadeth and metallica and stuff, but that's a fair few years ago now.

But bands like Fireflight and Flyleaf are decent enough as far as that genre goes.

I like the fast beat up tempo with a good melody.

That song just did it for me.
    I don't think Fireflight are that popular in Ireland though...

PS - I understand how bands like Tool etc appeal to minority audiences.

But just not my thing, is my point.

Although to give them their due, every so often them type do make a song or two that's mainstream acceptable.
    I guess they are pretty influential in their own right; so my hat comes off in that sense :confused:

But bands like Fireflight and Flyleaf are decent enough as far as that genre goes.

Big into your christian rock bands, are you?

maybe I was wrong, maybe you're not a shill, maybe you're here to proselytize?

All subjective really, but different horses for different courses I suppose.

One is art and well, one ain't.

As an aside the melody line (and just about everything else) is far superior in Parabola, than that generic tripe.

Then again, that sort of post grunge/MOR rock can be good when done well. Unfortunately, in the above case, it wasn't.

• Advertisement

Big into your christian rock bands, are you?

maybe I was wrong, maybe you're not a shill, maybe you're here to proselytize?

Yeah.

You got me again.

I guess I've been exposed now.

This is terrible...

*ashamedly goes back to soap boxing and bible thumping*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The thread title nails it for me. The song does not blow my mind.

But then again it should not matter a damn to the OP what anyone else thinks about the song if the song blows the OP's mind.

Okay then.

Expound, if you will, on what you do and don't like as regards the composition.

What I've heard so far is, "bland, generic, and most importantly - mainstream, which instantly makes it a no-go as far as my unique tastes are concerned".

What I like about it is, the in-your-face piercing sound of the vocals which complement perfectly the progressive melody of the instruments.
    I like watching the flair, heart and charisma the singer has as she commands the vocal pitches, which are also reflected in the melodic notes themselves.

In juxtaposition to the Tool song that was posted, which is down tone and morbid by intent, this song aims to stir an emotive, even an adrenal fueled feeling in the listener.
    In every-day lingo; it'd make you want to get up out of your chair.

As I said, not an all out rock music fan, but I appreciate a good song when I hear it.

Despite being a genre far removed, I'd have to class this song along with one of my other favorite "get up and go" numbers.

I'm sure the differences are apparent, but the similarities should be somewhat also, as regards my description for affinity of the OP piece.

What I like about it is, the in-your-face piercing sound of the vocals which complement perfectly the progressive melody of the instruments.
    I like watching the flair, heart and charisma the singer has as she commands the vocal pitches, which are also reflected in the melodic notes themselves.

Your post reads like a marketing blurb... it couldn't be any less in-your-face if it tried.

Your post reads like a marketing blurb... it couldn't be any less in-your-face if it tried.

Ramstein?

I think what would call "in your face", is more what I would define as "up your ass".

God damn that guys voice grates on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Okay then.

What I've heard so far is, "bland, generic, and most importantly - mainstream, which instantly makes it a no-go as far as my unique tastes are concerned".
    No-one said any thing about disliking the song in the OP because it was "mainstream", personally it does nothing for me, partly because it is a bit tired and unoriginal.
    Is mainstream determined by popularity? I'd say more people would know of Tool and Ramstein than Fireflight.

Ah! tony 2 tone, we're avatar twins! :eek:

we'll confuse people if we post after each other

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought it was a decent song myself *shrugs*. Nothing amazing though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Okay then.

In juxtaposition to the Tool song that was posted, which is down tone and morbid by intent, this song aims to stir an emotive, even an adrenal fueled feeling in the listener.

If you listen to what parabola is actually about you would find its not morbid at all.

And Rammstein ****in rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Okay then.

to turn off the fucking music.

Damn, just can't stop listening to it.

And unlike songs that when you listen to them they get old, this just seems to get better and better.

...again and again.

And again and again and again.

As regards the mainstream comment:

If you hear/see a man growling/roaring into a microphone, wearing only skin tight leather pants, has a skin head, and looks like he's into self harm by the shape his skin is in, you can pretty much take it that he's not trying to appeal to the mainstream.

When you see a charismatic female singing beautifully with a strong melodic backing...

...well.
    I think we all know where I'm going here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

As regards the mainstream comment:

If you hear/see a man growling/roaring into a microphone, wearing only skin tight leather pants, has a skin head, and looks like he's into self harm by the shape his skin is in, you can pretty much take it that he's not trying to appeal to the mainstream.

When you see a charismatic female singing beautifully with a strong melodic backing...

...well.
    I think we all know where I'm going here.

I really don't. Please enlighten me. We get it, you like this song.

Also, Parabol, down tone and morbid? Did you actually listen to it?

keith16 wrote: »
    I really don't. Please enlighten me. We get it, you like this song.

Also, Parabol, down tone and morbid? Did you actually listen to it?

I listen to a little bit.

The music video was beginning to freak me out though.

As far as the music itself went, all I picked up on was...

/bom-bom-bom *some growling here - kind of sounds like a dude try to wretch* bom-bom-bom

Sorry, but despite your opinion, that, does not = mainstream

I listen to a little bit.

The music video was beginning to freak me out though.

As far as the music itself went, all I picked up on was...

/bom-bom-bom *some growling here - kind of sounds like a dude try to wretch* bom-bom-bom

Sorry, but despite your opinion, that, does not = mainstream

You should listen to the whole thing before commenting on it. Parabol/Parabola is an amazing piece of work.

Something's very, very wrong with your ears.

and now, time for...

FIRESOUL UP IN THIS MOTHER****ER!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

ITT: Gigantic music snobs. Then again, this is the internet so what do you expect.

Advertisement