Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Sport coverage farce

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

All I'm seeing from this thread is a moan for the sake of it. In the times we are in you aren't limited by one outlet only. Thankfully we live in a time of choice and if an Irish stations soccer coverage is interrupted to concentrate on the second biggest game in the national sport's calender then so be it. It was an editorial decision taken to serve the greater interest. I don't see the harm in a few mins play by play studio commentary.
    You are posting online having a gripe when your efforts could have been concentrated on bringing up one of the multitude of streams available to watch any PL game on any given weekend. No interruptions for GAA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dear God, why are some people having a hard time getting this? Newtalk didn't even have the rights to do what they did (ball-by ball coverage) and they probably lost listeners to BBC 5Live who were covering the game, while GAA heads were already tuned to RTE radio (or watching the tv) for the Cork/Dublin game. So if it was an editorial decision it was'nt even thought through on its own terms.

Newstalk coverage of Bolton v Brum starts literally seconds before the first goal (technical difficulties it seems).

The crowd sound is "odd" doesn't feel like it matches the described action. I'm just able to hear the PA make muffled announcements that the commentators are not picking up on (a sub?) I also heard the "the fields of Athenry" tune I'm not aware of Bolton or Brum fans using it.

Bolton have just come within fingertips of a goal and the crowd sound didn't react.

Found a stream - whistles being blown on Newstalk when play is running in the game. other Whistles are "in sync"
    very odd. Still love to know if Bolton fans have Fields of Athenry as a tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Listening to it at the moment and everything sounds in sync to what's being described

Early on it was wrong, later on it was right, odd. I'm off the google Bolton Wanderers songs and Birmingham City songs...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

In general Newstalk sports coverage is excellent, especially the hilarious Off The Ball... If they slipped up today by missing bits of the GAA then it was an aberration.

If only they could liven Ken Early up. A little would do, over time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

SkidMark wrote: »

The Newstalk Premier League commentary last week (Liverpool v Arsenal) was awful - two lads watching Sky Sports with the sound on mute, didn't hear it yesterday.

HAve not heard any of the soccer yet this season on NEwstalk but it does at times seem that they do things this way, i.e. sitting around a tv with two mics and tell us what the see. I am sure Ken Early knows his stuff but when it comes to doing comentry, even discribing whats on tv he does it rather poorly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Bard wrote: »
    He won't discuss it because it's TV and not Radio and this is the radio forum.

Also, this really isn't the place for discussion on whether it's called "soccer" or "football".

The thread is about Newstalk's sports coverage. Kraggy et al, get over it and stay on topic please.

1. Different media, but the point is relevant. Rights are rights, no matter the type of media.

2. Mike65 brought that point up first, not me.

3. I was on topic. It's all relevant to the poster's comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

kraggy wrote: »
    1. Different media, but the point is relevant. Rights are rights, no matter the type of media.

That's all well and good but there's no point in steering the conversation towards discussion of a TV programme. This is the Radio forum. Discuss radio here.
    2. Mike65 brought that point up first, not me.
    Did you ever say "he started it?" to a parent after being told to stop doing something? The response is the same. I don't care who started it. Hence I didn't just say "Kraggy", I said "Kraggy et al".
    3. I was on topic. It's all relevant to the poster's comments.
    The topic (in a broader sense) is radio. Stay on topic.

Advertisement