Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balayage for really dark hair

• 24-02-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

Getting some balayage highlites put in my hair on Saturday in Zeba on South William St.! (hope they're good, the last time I did them was in Style Club but the stylist who did them has unforunately gone on Maternity leave - typical. She was brilliant). Had them done before a couple of months ao and they really need to be touched up.

I'm really dark and so is my hair so I'm looking for something quite subtle that won't go too light after a couple of washes (as I tend to look very washed out with light hair).

Anyone able to find any celeb pics of really dark hair with balayage/ombre? If so please let me know as I'm stumped to find the look I'm going for!

Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

ombre1.jpgombre2.jpg

ombre3.jpgombre4.jpg
    ombre5.jpgombre6.jpg

ombre7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I've never heard of this but the pictures look lovely! How do the hairdressers do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 scissors

hi, its a simple free style technique that allows stylist more freedom to colour hair to suit the hair cut and the clients face shape, it has been about a long time but getting more popular now clients are looking for easy to maintain highlights and more sunkissed affect....results are lovely but not alot of salons do it unfortunatly

Thanks! I'm in the uk and haven't heard of anyone over here talking about it. This brings me into dangerous territory of thinking 'hmm, wonder if I could do a DIY job on myself?' lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

I thought balayage was a more natural method of all-over highlight application? Not being smart, clueless with hair things, was reading something about it in a magazine recently (albeit for blondes). Are those pictures not examples of dip-dyeing? Which I think looks amazingly cool anyway. Whatever it is, result is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Anon85

Thanks so much, Tayla! Really appreciate it.

Camilla Alves (lady in the shades) is my favourite I think. They're all lovely. I'll be sure to take these with me to the salon tomorrow :-) Thinking I'll be going more copper than blonde at the ends. I'm not rock and roll enough to pull off Ashley Simpson's hair :-)

Anyone enquiring about where to get it done - Style Club on South William Street do it, it's where I had it done originally but I'm heading back to Zeba tomorrow (as I heard the colour tech there does it too). Bit of a shot in the dark but we'll see how I get on tomorrow.

It's an excellent method of highliting your hair as you can leave them gorw out for ages and they still look great. They're really low maintenence. I'll be avoiding the foil highlites as much as possible!

i love Jessica Biel's :)

unepetite wrote: »
    I thought balayage was a more natural method of all-over highlight application? Not being smart, clueless with hair things, was reading something about it in a magazine recently (albeit for blondes). Are those pictures not examples of dip-dyeing? Which I think looks amazingly cool anyway. Whatever it is, result is lovely.

Sorry for the confusion, Those pics are examples of ombre hair, the OP mentioned it in her post, It's a bit more extreme than the balayage which is much softer!

Anon85 wrote: »
    Thanks so much, Tayla! Really appreciate it.

Camilla Alves (lady in the shades) is my favourite I think. They're all lovely. I'll be sure to take these with me to the salon tomorrow :-) Thinking I'll be going more copper than blonde at the ends. I'm not rock and roll enough to pull off Ashley Simpson's hair :-)

Anyone enquiring about where to get it done - Style Club on South William Street do it, it's where I had it done originally but I'm heading back to Zeba tomorrow (as I heard the colour tech there does it too). Bit of a shot in the dark but we'll see how I get on tomorrow.

It's an excellent method of highliting your hair as you can leave them gorw out for ages and they still look great. They're really low maintenence. I'll be avoiding the foil highlites as much as possible!

Let me know how you get on, i've been looking at these kind of styles lately thinking about getting it done, I've been dying my hair black for years and I recently used colour b4 which was fab and dyed it auburn and missed the black too much so dyed it again after a week but if I got something like this it could be the best of both worlds for me keeping the black around my face but a lighter colour on the bottom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I love the exact colouring of Vanessa Hudgens. Is this something I can just walk into a salon and ask for? I have dark brown hair and dying to do something with it to brighten it up but hate the look of highlites. The balayage sounds perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

so, anon 85, how did you get on? ive been dying my hair for yrs but always a home job and im more than tired of the all over look, got highlights before xmas and wasnt too keen on it...felt very regular and made up or something but i love this balayge thing..think its exactly what im looking for. how did you get on with yours? any pics? would you mind telling me how much it cost as i cant find a price list on the site?

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I am NOT happy with the results if my hair :(

Unforutunately they look near enough the same as regular highlites. Saying that, it doesn't look bad it's just not what I wanted and certainly not what was in the photos. I'm very frustrated as I really wanted to avoid getting regular highlites done in my hair. She did the balayage technique as best as she could but I don't think she did it right. All in all I wouldn't recomment Zeba for balayage. I'm really dark and these highlites are just making me look washed out, I wanted more colour at the ends more so than the top and it seems to have gone the opposite way. It's just frustrating when you show a stylist pictures and explain exactly what you want them to do and they just don't do it! I don't want to go back to the same salon to fix it as I don't trust them so as a result I have now booked in with Dylan Bradshaw on South William St. (seem to be doing the rounds of the salons there) as I saw a sales assistant in one of the shops on Grafton street with perfect Ombre/Balayage hair! and when I asked her who did it she said DB so I'm going to the top colourist there to have a look at my hair and hopefully she'll be able to fix it and move it towards what was in the photos. It may be something that'll take more than one go unfortunately.

Quite upset as I'm quite the perfectionist when it comes to my hair and I feel I may just be doing more damage than good to it but I can't stand to look at the colour that's in it at the moment :(

Off-hand if ANYONE knows somewhere else they can recommend that does this technique please do let me know!

Will post pics up this weekend.

Wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 scissors

unepetite wrote: »
    your right it is a highlighting technique...not strictly for blondes ,but is defo a look suited to blonde tones ,for dark hair it would depend on hair condition and colour history the trick is to lightly touch root and then apply heavier towards the ends using a paddle ,this way hair is darker at root section but gets gradually lighter where the colour gets applied heavier , there is no heat from foils or wraps so colour lifts differently than normal techniques where foils etc are used..its lovely when done well

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

i showed this to my boyfriend and he said it looks like highlights grown out but i like this look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I've been working towards getting this done for awhile (had my hair bleached in panels after a hairdresser told me there was no way he could do it, waiting for them to grow out).
    I have a new hairdresser who says to get it done correctly, its a long trip to the salon as there needs to met careful application as the tones need to blend seamlessly. Can't wait to have this done gotta wait awhile though.

FYI I've now booked in with the Style Club to get this hair colour done...I'm getting something similar done - It's called American Tailoring - As far as I'm aware this is like balayage but with an all over colour included (so not just the highlites).

We'll see how it goes. Will post pics up after the weekend! Bit nervous. Don't think I could handle another botched hair do! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pat mc

hey anon!

just wondering how did your american tailoring work out on your hair in style house? were you happy with the result.
    I want to get ballyage done but a bit sceptical as I know it costs alot but obviosly want to get a job well done!

thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 urphless

Not sure if anyone's still interested in this post, but I had balayage done yesterday in Toni & Guy in Dundrum, and Lyndsay did a really lovely job, and really listened to what I wanted (I was going for something that wasn't too stark as my hair is quite dark naturally). Would really recommend the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I just heard about this whole thing. What prices is it costing? Have hair all natural colour brown and want to do Something Different with it. It does look really nice in the photos but celebrities hair generally looks better!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

Think this was on expose during the week from a place in Templeogue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

That Blake Lively look on Exposé during the week looked awful! :eek: Like a red haired Cruella DeVil. When they went back to Aisling, even she was trying to hold in the laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

have booked into toni and guy blackrock to get thisd one, only 60euro!? seems way too cheap I triple checed that it was defo the price for balayage and she assured me it was. I got a quote from toni and guy dundrum for 112e!!! Worth shopping around.

Has anyone any experience with T and G blackrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

I was recently getting meche highlights done in Fame Hair Salon on George's Street. The girl doing my hair-Anka- had the most amazing baylage highlights, she said everyone in the salon has been trained to do it by the owner. This is not on their price list so not sure of the cost but hey are one of the best value places for standard colour in Town, so should be promising!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Cork to get balayage done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PoisonIvy

have booked into toni and guy blackrock to get thisd one, only 60euro!? seems way too cheap I triple checed that it was defo the price for balayage and she assured me it was. I got a quote from toni and guy dundrum for 112e!!! Worth shopping around.

Let us know how you get on will you, trying to find somewhere to get this done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ellenm1714

anon 85, what was the name of the girl who went on maternity leave? i want to see if she is back to do my hair, thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

That is a really good price! Is that for a full head?! :eek:

I had a colour stripped, a colour and balayage for 170 recently but I think the balayage alone was upwards of 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ellenm1714

hi novella, will you let me know how toni and guy goes? im considering going but unsure what theyre like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jacsy

hi anon 85
    sorry i know ur post is old but how did you get on in the end getting ur hair fixed , did it come out the way u wanted ? and how much did it cost

i`m hoping to get it done for christmas but dont want to go somewhere like ur self that will get it wrong

perri winkles how was tony and guy , was it only 60e i`d of expected it to b more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 veronique2011

scissors wrote: »
    your right it is a highlighting technique...not strictly for blondes ,but is defo a look suited to blonde tones ,for dark hair it would depend on hair condition and colour history the trick is to lightly touch root and then apply heavier towards the ends using a paddle ,this way hair is darker at root section but gets gradually lighter where the colour gets applied heavier , there is no heat from foils or wraps so colour lifts differently than normal techniques where foils etc are used..its lovely when done well

Would love to try balayage I have blonde highlites but my hair is going grey at front and sides does anybody know if balayage would be high maintenance for grey hair !!! blonde is giving me a washed out look with the grey

Advertisement