Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customs form to post to the eu ???

• 16-10-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

ok so i heard about this and checked the an post website and a few forums
    aparently an post now want you to fill out a customs label for posting itemsto within the eu ?? im sure it doesnt apply to letters such as bday cards etc only to packages ? are they allowed to this as a eu member are we not able to travel within the eu visa free and post the same way no customs

(taken form an post,s website)
    Customs Declaration When sending goods abroad a completed customs declaration is required. An Post provide two customs forms the CP72 for parcels or items with a value in excess of €300. For all other items use the CN22.

1. Correct labelling

As well as an Airmail label if you are sending something abroad you will need to check that you have your customs labels completed properly. Customs labels are required even when posting something within the EU.
      so if im i sending for instance a few packages to the uk i have to fill out customs labels ,? is this a new eu lawas if a seller in the uk is posting me something i bought of ebay will they have to fill out a customs form to post to ireland ?

anyone have any help on this or had to fill out the customs label ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes you are allowed to travel freely within Europe. Some goods carry different exise rates within different jurisdictions examples would ne wine and cigarettes. If travelling you may carry some for personal consumption. However if going through the post you are considered an importer so have a limit of zero. Also some goods may be illegal or controlled in other jurisdictions so they need to know whY your sending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Any package been sent from Ireland to another country now needs a Customs Declaration - CN22 ( up to value € 300 )
    images-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Any package been sent from Ireland to another country now needs a Customs Declaration - CN22 ( up to value € 300 )

even UK? that would be a pain in the netheregion to have to do that for every item I send to the UK.

This is what they say on the anpost website :
    For international items the relevant customs declaration information must be appropriately completed and attached. For items under €300 or up to 2kg a CN22 label should be attached. For items over 2kg or €300 in value a CP72 label should be attached.

Both the CN22 and CP72 label are available at your local Post Office.

It refers to international items , which I presume includes UK .

link :
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/GeneralTemplates/ProductsAndServices.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b39B16E21-0AE5-4E34-9507-DF3E40967510%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fAnPost%2fMainContent%2fPersonal%2bCustomers%2fSending%2bMail%2fStandard%2fStandardPost%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#generalserviceinfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This is not being enforced as I have received parcels in the EU from Ireland only this week with no customs stickers.

• Advertisement

If you go to AnPost shop counter to buy stamps for posting package overseas , you will be asked to fill in the Customs Declaration CN22 .

Don't know how this is going to be enforced for packages posted directly through mailbox .

Maybe some Anpost employee can enlighten us .

I did ask at counter and was told that packages will not go through the letterbox , so customers will always end up at counter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Depends on where you go. Your post office may be enforcing it but many are not. Parcels are still getting through without them.

If anyone is posting a package to USA from Ireland , you can bet your bottom dollar that your package will get no further than Homeland Security .

That is of course if your package does not have a CN22 .

Maybe Ireland are not enforcing this , but many overseas Customs worldwide are .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This does not apply on intra-EU packages, they're effectively domestic.
    There is absolutely no legal requirement whatsoever for this. I've checked and no other EU post office is asking for this form to be filled out for EU destinations.

See Royal Mail's explanation for example : http://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/mail-advice/customs-information

You DO require CN22 filled out on non-EU packages e.g. to the USA.

Someone has gotten confused at An Post.

Clearly someone at An Post has decided to pretend that we're back in the 1960s and that the EU does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This was on politics.ie

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/172146-new-intra-eu-customs-checks-6.html

From anpost
    Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this issue, you are correct that Customs Clearance is not required for any items sent between EU member states. However, the use of the Customs Form for EU destinations is purely to facilitate the capture of information regarding the sender and the contents of the package in order to facilitate aviation security requirements. The customer may if they prefer alternatively provide this information on the cover of the item, in an envelope on the outside of the item or on an attached adhesive label. They do not have to supply any value details.

Items which could be Hazardous to aircraft, passengers or airline handling staff must not for example be included in any package sent to any international destination. There are also many different types of prohibited substances which may not be included. It is therefore crucial that both postal and airline staff be able to assess any potential danger to security and safety which could exist based on the contents of any package which has been posted to an international destination.

Hopefully this clarifies things for you.

Yours sincerely,

An Post Customer Services.

and...

Any information being requested by An Post in respect of any intra-EU postings is primarily for the purpose of enabling us to play our part in securing the safety and security of passenger aircraft and the aviation industry in general. We must use passenger aircraft for almost all of our international mail transportation.

You will appreciate that there are certain items (ink toner cartridges, aerosols, firearms for example) which cannot be shipped by mail on passenger aircraft or which are not allowed entry by mail into certain destination countries. We must therefore take precautions to ensure that such items are not included in international airmail, whether that is to non-EU destinations or within the EU.

Similar precautions must of course be taken by all An Post's competitors and all such competitors have similar prohibitions and restrictions in place.

I must stress again that this has nothing whatsoever to do with Customs and therefore the SI issued by Revenue does not impact.

We are currently looking at other options for simplifying the acceptance process at our retail counters and this involves alternatives to using the current documents. In the meantime, the customer is not compelled to use existing documents in order to include their name address and description of the contents. This information may be written directly onto the packaging or may of course also be included on any adhesive type sticker.

Regards

From EU
    Reply from the EU:

Thank you for your enquiry to the Your Europe Advice service.
    It appears that the Customs and Excise Regulations (Provision of Information relating to Persons, Conveyances and Goods) Regulations 2011 have been introduced pursuant to Article 97 of the Finance Act 2010. This section provides that such legislation can be introduced “for the purpose of the prevention, detection and investigation of offences under the Customs Acts”.
    It is noteworthy that there is no charge for completion of the form and that the form must be completed in respect of all parcels leaving Ireland. Therefore, there does not appear to be an obstacle to the free movement of goods contrary to Article 30 TFEU (prohibition on customs duties or charges having equivalent effect) nor Article 35 TFEU (prohibition on quantitative restrictions on exports and measures having equivalent effect). Even if this measure did constitute a barrier to the free movement of goods or persons or services, it could be capable of being justified on the basis of public security or indeed public policy, although these exceptions are very strictly contstrued.
    I trust that this information is of assistance to you.
    Yours sincerely,
    Your Europe Advice
    this is the regulation
    http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2011/B28636.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

All I know is that thanks to those post 9/11 knee jerk reactions, it's getting increasingly difficult to do business from Ireland.

I know two small online retailers who moved to the UK because they found Irish postal and courier services totally non-compeditive and that there were endless red-tape with packages being delayed / opened etc for no logical reason.

It's also virtually impossible to post anything out that contains liquid. So, if you're say trying to sell cosmetics, food or anything like that online, Ireland's not a very good place to base yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coercive monopoly

12/2014

this is a statement received from Anpost:

Customers are not required to complete a Customs CN22 Declaration form for any item being posted within the EU, however, customers are required to complete the Aviation Security Declaration (ASD) Form, as per our Terms and Conditions. Completion of the ASD Form allows An Post to determine that the item meets with Aviation Security requirements and to ensure that there are no prohibited items included. This avoids potential difficult security issues further down the line, including unnecessary return to the sender. This form also ensures that the sender’s address is included on the item (which is also a requirement).

Advertisement