Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got DayZ and joined the boards server... but i dont have a clue what im doing

• 12-07-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

played for 5 min there and i was scared ****less :o before being killed by a player. I was being chased by loads of zombies and i thought he'd protect me :o

im completely new to dayz/Arma. decided to take a small break from BF3, but this is completely different to the FPS im used to :(

I cant find a good tutorial about how to get started? its just people running from zombies :D

any anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://derekbrowne.ie/dayz/dayz.html

some tips and guides. run north and you can lose zombies by breaking their line of sight for a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

thanks. will read that. im watching some survival vids but everyone seems to have a gun? i dont know any controls either :o

ive never felt so clueless in a game since E.T.

why run north out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tea_Bag wrote: »

Safer sort of i suppose.

Once you get used to the controls, you can creep past zombies, but if they look at you they will aggro. Then you need to lose them quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Right ive come a long way in the game, but ive a few issues.

am i the only one who finds it impossible to play at night?
    I cant find a canteen or knife anywhere. i eventually just die of thirst. is it possible to drink fresh water by standing in the middle of the pond somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    thanks. will read that. im watching some survival vids but everyone seems to have a gun? i dont know any controls either :o

ive never felt so clueless in a game since E.T.

If you load up the main ARMA game there's a load of detailed training missions to teach you how to work the game. It's literally like going to ARMA school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Dontron

im still learning the game so im not an expert, but this is how im playing

1 go to dayzdb and use that map to get around (got a tablet smart phone or second monitor use it for your map)
    2 stay away from cities until you know what you are doing
    3 cities are full of snipers / ppl who shoot on sight
    4 go north raid farms and small settlements small towns
    5 get an axe hunting knife
    6 guns cause zombies to chase you
    7 read the dayz wiki
    8 food is scarce so become a hunter (food replenishes blood loss)
    9 get a tent and use the dayzdb map to plan which area you want set up in (im set up in the middle of fkn nowhere but im closeish to weapons and a supermarket)
    10 epi cures broken legs always have it on you check daydb or wiki to find it
    11 farm barn stairs are lethal be carfull
    12 Put all the essential items you need restart the game. If you get killed in your tent axe hunting knife compass alice packs food water epi then when you die you can run to your tent and restart no need to scavange as that takes ages
    13 if you dont play at night dont stock up on chemlights etc
    14 get glovepi and setup auto walk i will put up a thread about it
    15 if zombies are chasing you run up a steep hill it will give you time to turn and shoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You have no friends in DayZ. Everyone will shoot you, unless you group up with people. Crouch down (X) and walk slowly when near zombies.

Take note of where you spawn (It says it in the bottom right of the screen) and use this map to mobilize yourself to get gear: http://dayzdb.com/map#3.065.126

First thing you'll need to do is to get a drink (coke/pepsi), food (pasta, beans, etc..) and at least a handgun. Louder the gun, the more zombies you will pull. You'll also alert players in the area that you are around and might get shot. Best thing to do is to get used to the fact that you will die often, and try get to know the whole south of the map, including Cherno and Elektro (The two main cities in the south). Apartments in Cherno are good for getting gear, and the Fire Stations in Elektro are good.

This game is very difficult to play as an individual, so try find friends to join up with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Quick question on Day Z and I didnt wanna start a thread.

How do i enable voice comms in the game??

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Quick question on Day Z and I didnt wanna start a thread.

How do i enable voice comms in the game??

options > sounds >

press caps lock key ingame to talk.. you'll see a tiny microphone image appear on the middle leftish of the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

platinums wrote: »
    options > sounds >

press caps lock key ingame to talk.. you'll see a tiny microphone image appear on the middle leftish of the screen

Ah nice one pal,

Another question if I may,

Does everybody on the server hear what i'm saying or is it only a select group of peeps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Ah nice one pal,

Another question if I may,

Does everybody on the server hear what i'm saying or is it only a select group of peeps?

There used to be server wide comms, but they took it out.
    When you press the caps lock key, anyone within 80 metres can hear you , 20 metres for Direct text chat --->Heres the official Reference on the DayzMod site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i know the feeling i spent 2 hours running in the wilderness , before i realised i had ran off the map :eek: :mad:

thanks to ktulu for showing me around last night and getting me kitted out , apparently i was very lucky with the loot i came acros :confused::rolleyes: and apparently seeing 3 downed helicopters at the same town is unusual .

still havent a fecking clue whats going on but at least now i have guns ammo food and water , so it a start :D

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Wish I seen this thread before I started playing!

Thanks for all the relevant information and links, this should get me rocking now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Still dont know if I should pick this up or not.....in 2 minds some of the vids on U TUBE make it look terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

It's definitely worth the £24.99, I wouldn't even be into the whole "zombie apocalypse" but the whole survival thing is just awesome. Watching out for zombies and other players has had me with a few heart in my mouth moments lol

Advertisement