Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Build 700-800

• 03-04-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? 700-800 (can go slightly over) Future proofing is a must for me, i really dont want to have to replace an entire pc because of 1 part

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (wow mainly but i dont want it to just be able to play wow)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No (old pc will either become a spare or set it up that i only have games & windows on new pc and internet etc on old pc sharing 1 screen)

5. Do you need a monitor? No (already have 24" Samsung 1080p)

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1920x1080 widescreen, its a new screen so no.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Not essential as have my old ones but would be nice to see what yee recommend, what are wireless card and card reader for?

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing?
    Week or two i would think, i can wait a short while if needed.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Cork County (i would love to build it myself but have no experience with it and would possibly take up an offer of help)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

You can check out my post, I was looking for something for €800: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056594060

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

i have been reading more or less every post for weeks:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I've got to go now, so I'm just marking this thread to get back to it later. What you'll probably want is an i5-2500k, Z68 Pro3 Gen3, HD 7870, Spinpoint F3 500GB, Bitfenix Shinobi USB3, SuperFlower Amazon 450/550W. Should be able to squeeze all that in hopefully.

thanks m8

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

so... no surprises here in base of this pc. i included 1TB hdd instead of 500gb, difference 20eu, but feck its 500gb extra!

dunno about gpu though. with 7850 you are near budget, but it wont be much future prove, if you add 30 quid extra you could pick up gtx 570, which is a monster in 1080p.

Item|Price
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€56.47
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€81.59
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€187.99
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9|€37.99
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€53.14
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€87.54
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€81.80
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850, 2048MB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7850, PCI- Express|€218.20
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€823.71

• Advertisement

thanks m8, future proofing is key really as this has to last. a 120gb ssd is another 100 or so aswell isnt it? would i notice a huge difference with a ssd and is it just boot times it is for or what?

i see the ram is ddr3 & the gfx card you listed is gddr5, whats the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

so... no surprises here in base of this pc. i included 1TB hdd instead of 500gb, difference 20eu, but feck its 500gb extra!

dunno about gpu though. with 7850 you are near budget, but it wont be much future prove, if you add 30 quid extra you could pick up gtx 570, which is a monster in 1080p.

Item|Price
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€56.47
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€81.59
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€187.99
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9|€37.99
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€53.14
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€87.54
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€81.80
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850, 2048MB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7850, PCI- Express|€218.20
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€823.71

That case is ugly. This is way better.:D:D:D http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-045-BX&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=1850

did you spill a large bottle of tipp-ex? :D

the white would clash big time with my current stuff aswell, it would be like having a zebra in the room

pcadvice wrote: »
    thanks m8, future proofing is key really as this has to last. a 120gb ssd is another 100 or so aswell isnt it? would i notice a huge difference with a ssd and is it just boot times it is for or what?

i see the ram is ddr3 & the gfx card you listed is gddr5, whats the difference?

ddr5 in GPU is pretty much standart and i would not even get deeper in to it. if you think there will be some clashing between ddr and ddr5, then dont worry, those have nothing to do with each other ( in the way you think ;) )

ssd - its a lovely thing, but its luxury. it will boot your windows in less then a minute, wheres hdd will boot it in 3 minutes. it will shave seconds of loading times. like i said, its lovely, but if you got a spare 80-100eu on one ( 64gb, 128 will set you back 140ish ) iwould sink it in to better GPU. in short: SSD is luxury, better GPU - more RAW power and performance.

ok thanks m8

• Advertisement

did you spill a large bottle of tipp-ex? :D

the white would clash big time with my current stuff aswell, it would be like having a zebra in the room

He he, I love the white. The Shinobi is a nice case at a nice price BTW:)

He he, I love the white. The Shinobi is a nice case at a nice price BTW:)

I got a 500R white case and it looks fantastic. It's like black/white with light blue LEDs in all fans.

I got a 500R white case and it looks fantastic. It's like black/white with light blue LEDs in all fans.

Nice case too. Show us some photos.

Nice case too. Show us some photos.

I will do few tonight, will need to upload. I am lazy bastard :D

would a ssd have any bearing on how quick you log out of 1 char and into another, zone into or out of things etc?

apart from the obvious price difference whats the difference between

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=52888&agid=1601 &
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50900&agid=1601

whats the difference between p67 & z68?

would i need an aftermarket cooler aswell? is this alone what makes the pc quieter?

what are wireless card and card reader for?

The Extreme3 has two PCI-E slots allowing you to run two graphics cards in crossfire/SLI if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

whats the difference between p67 & z68?

would i need an aftermarket cooler aswell? is this alone what makes the pc quieter?

what are wireless card and card reader for?
    Z68 supports integrated graphics, quicksync for video transcoding and SSD caching ..... p67 doesnt ... other than that they're the same as far as i know

It's not an aftermarket cooler alone that will quieten your computer but it does play a part. The case your using and its own fans also play a part. If you plan on doing much overclocking then yes it would be suggested to get one.

A wireless card is so that you can pick up wifi. A card reader is for reading data off portable flash cards like sd cards, mini sd etc

for gaming is 1 card better or 2 in general? do some games perform better with only 1 card?

It's long story about 2 vs 1.

You can buy 1 now and if your mobo supports 2, then you can buy second one down the line. Now keep in mind that 2xgpu does not mean 200% perfoamce increase. It's very rare when 2 Gpus scale perfectly.

For your first build I would just stuck with single gpu setup. Being newby it will be easyer for you to learn your system with just 1 gpu. You will have less headaches too, when you will know more about pcs, you can try 2 gpu setups. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's just you might now and then get in to problems with those setups, it can be hard and annoying for new comers to sort it out.

It's long story about 2 vs 1.

You can buy 1 now and if your mobo supports 2, then you can buy second one down the line. Now keep in mind that 2xgpu does not mean 200% perfoamce increase. It's very rare when 2 Gpus scale perfectly.

For your first build I would just stuck with single gpu setup. Being newby it will be easyer for you to learn your system with just 1 gpu. You will have less headaches too, when you will know more about pcs, you can try 2 gpu setups. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's just you might now and then get in to problems with those setups, it can be hard and annoying for new comers to sort it out.

Did you sell your 570?

• Advertisement

Did you sell your 570?

fella is coming on friday to pick it up, if it fails, then there are 2 more people in line to buy it. why?

should i be looking to get a Z77 motherboard now that they are out or should i stick with the suggested?

wondering what your opinions are on the following quotes from this post http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1115478-New-gfx-card

"The current Nvidia line is completely out of date and beaten by any 7xxx card from AMD -except- for the 680. So if you want something in the lesser cost range, go AMD."

"However, like I pointed out earlier, don't purchase anything else other than the 680 in the Nvidia line if you're looking for the best performance in any given budget."

"If you're an overclocker, the 7970 is the better card. An overclocked 7970 beats an overclocked 680 by a noticeable margin."

wondering what your opinions are on the following quotes from this post http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1115478-New-gfx-card

"The current Nvidia line is completely out of date and beaten by any 7xxx card from AMD -except- for the 680. So if you want something in the lesser cost range, go AMD."

"However, like I pointed out earlier, don't purchase anything else other than the 680 in the Nvidia line if you're looking for the best performance in any given budget."

"If you're an overclocker, the 7970 is the better card. An overclocked 7970 beats an overclocked 680 by a noticeable margin."

gtx 5 series are out of date, yes, but their priced droped too. if you go in to mid budget, then 7850 or 7870 is a good card, but if you get second hand gtx 570/580/560ti for a good price, then i dont see a problem. 670 was already announced, so in a few months time there should be some mid range stuff from nvidia too.

"If you're an overclocker, the 7970 is the better card. An overclocked 7970 beats an overclocked 680 by a noticeable margin." this is quite a bull**** statement.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1443/pg3/sapphire-hd-7970-overclock-edition-dual-x-graphics-card-review-test-system-and-methodology.html

this is a good 7970 with dual bios. even overclocked it is around stock gtx 680. it is not faster then 680. in fact, this is just bull**** fanboy rubbish, because in real world, there is no difference between 2 of these cards performance ways. both cards are great, but overpriced. Its just what ever you prefer: green or red.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I don't think that a 7750 or 7770 beats all of nVidia's 500 lineup!

gtx 5 series are out of date, yes, but their priced droped too. if you go in to mid budget, then 7850 or 7870 is a good card, but if you get second hand gtx 570/580/560ti for a good price, then i dont see a problem. 670 was already announced, so in a few months time there should be some mid range stuff from nvidia too.

"If you're an overclocker, the 7970 is the better card. An overclocked 7970 beats an overclocked 680 by a noticeable margin." this is quite a bull**** statement.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1443/pg3/sapphire-hd-7970-overclock-edition-dual-x-graphics-card-review-test-system-and-methodology.html

this is a good 7970 with dual bios. even overclocked it is around stock gtx 680. it is not faster then 680. in fact, this is just bull**** fanboy rubbish, because in real world, there is no difference between 2 of these cards performance ways. both cards are great, but overpriced. Its just what ever you prefer: green or red.

You are right and wrong in a way. :pac: The factory overclock on the Sapphire card brings up to about the level of the stock 680, however you can easily overclock the card more. That review only benched the factory overclock, whereas the [H] one here does a manual overclock on top of it:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/10/sapphire_hd_7970_oc_edition_video_card_review/1

1333919389dsIgHKgld7_7_5.jpg

As you can see, the factory overclock brings the 7970 up to the level of the 680, but a manual overclock surpasses it by a significant 20% in BF3. The other games benched show similar results. On an €800 build this is completely irrelevant however :D

deconduo wrote: »
    You are right and wrong in a way. :pac: The factory overclock on the Sapphire card brings up to about the level of the stock 680, however you can easily overclock the card more. That review only benched the factory overclock, whereas the [H] one here does a manual overclock on top of it:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/10/sapphire_hd_7970_oc_edition_video_card_review/1

As you can see, the factory overclock brings the 7970 up to the level of the 680, but a manual overclock surpasses it by a significant 20% in BF3. The other games benched show similar results. On an €800 build this is completely irrelevant however :D

right.... and what happends if you OC gtx 680 eh? :D i love how they only showed OCed 7970 vs stock 680!

anyway, both cards are good.

im holding out until IB cpu is released anyway but i still havent made my mind up on what card to get, i might go all out and get a 680 not sure yet:)

can someone please tell me how to stop receiving an email for each reply i get on a thread? i thought i had turned it off but i still get them, i dont need them as i check the forum anyway.

deconduo wrote: »

Just to add:
    http://m.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/04/nvidia_kepler_geforce_gtx_680_overclocking_review/5

It's overclocked 7970 vs gtx 680 and 680 is faster ;)

• Advertisement

ok i have now sorted the cash out to do this and i have an updated budget of €1100 approx to spend, what am i looking at with the updated budget?

Advertisement