Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 28th April

• 14-02-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

images_04.jpg

Pretty expensive for a 10K. Did it last year in monsoon conditions, enjoyable but weird running a race at 9 o'clock on a Sunday night. Pretty cool seeing the hundreds of illuminous tops streaming up and down the quays.

Website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

I remember signing up for this last year around this time.

In my head I had images of running by loads of people in the boozers cheering me on, on a lovely early summer evening..and then going to meet my friends after for a few well deserved pints...

The reality was much different....

At one stage I had to stop for a pee (being penned in for ages before the start and running rain water will do that to you) and as I was mid flow the hurricane changed direction leading to me getting a face full of my own pi**!! :D .. that was the highlight!

I hope they get the weather this year because if they do it will be great..
    A bit on the pricey side however

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I remember enjoying it last year, despite [maybe because of..] the rain.

The start was a unmitigated disaster, lets hope they have learned from that!

I assume I will end up doing it again..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I remember enjoying it last year, despite [maybe because of..] the rain.

The start was a unmitigated disaster, lets hope they have learned from that!

I assume I will end up doing it again..

The k club 10k is the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Soaked to the skin but enjoyed it anyway, only started running last year, so I felt I earned my stripes going out on that manky night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Still use the top and drink bottle I got from this last year, price has gone up though I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Far too expensive for a 10K even if you do get to run around the closed off streets of Dublin. Did it last year and have to agree with tHE vAGGABOND, the start was a mess, the elite lads up the front were getting crowded out of it. Will be doing the K Club 10K and the RTE 5 mile the week after as much better value for your entry fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

checked my mail from last, 26E, so 5 quid increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Expensive race alright and boy was it was a "night to remember" last year :rolleyes: Whenever I have reservations about running in poor weather I think, hey, remember Samsung night, you got through that, and it doesn't seem so bad afterall!
    Fantastic running top given out last year. I've gotten so much wear out of it, it was worth the entry fee alone.
    Sorry to miss it this year as I have Wexford half the same day.
    Samsung is a great course for a pb imo. Would highly recommend it for someone doing their first 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Signed up for this last year but got injuried and couldn't do it. What i remember is when i went to pick up my goody bag on the Friday night and it was a mess. No signs up, no one knew where to go and having to queue in two separate lines in a small room.

And reading last year's comments on the start, it would have to improve alot before i would think of entering a race that had gone up in value without proving that it be far better run than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

chinguetti wrote: »
    And reading last year's comments on the start, it would have to improve alot before i would think of entering a race that had gone up in value price without proving that it be far better run than last year.

Fixed that for you Chinguetti!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Ososlo wrote: »
    Expensive race alright and boy was it was a "night to remember" last year :rolleyes: Whenever I have reservations about running in poor weather I think, hey, remember Samsung night, you got through that, and it doesn't seem so bad afterall!
    Fantastic running top given out last year. I've gotten so much wear out of it, it was worth the entry fee alone.
    Sorry to miss it this year as I have Wexford half the same day.
    Samsung is a great course for a pb imo. Would highly recommend it for someone doing their first 10k.
    Wexford is the week before I think? So you might still fit it in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Wexford is the week before I think? So you might still fit it in!
    Thanks Stephen! Got my dates wrong there. Cool :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I'm with chinguetti on this one. The price has increased from 26 to 31! (20% increase)
    Even though the top was very good quality last year, the mess at registration (I queued for over an hour - and that wasn't the longest wait), the debacle at the start and the price increase is just too much for me to even contemplate this one.

But if they said 20quid.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

statss wrote: »
    checked my mail from last, 26E, so 5 quid increase.

Cheeky buggers. If anything they should knock it down to 20quid. Did this last year and the marshalling was shocking. Course was very twisty turny and on lots of occasions when we got to one of those turns we weren't directed. Ended up having to shout at marshals as we approached from a good bit away to tell us which way to go. That shouldnt happen, one of those basic things thats essential to get right in a race. Did enniscorthy 10k last week and the marshalling was flawless. 15quid entry aswell, where we were fed like kings afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What was that about a free shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

Found organising very bad last year. From the reg to the start line, dodgy marshalling during the races. And apparently not many of the finish marshals hung around to direct the later finishers. Cool course and was great to see line of Tshirts on each side of the river and crossing the bridge, but will probably give it a miss this year and see if they've sorted themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KeenRunner

I did this 10k last year & really enjoyed it (apart from the horrific weather obviously!). Still wearing the race shirt too - Just wondering does anyone know the route for this year or where the start line will be? Think I'll be doing it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I've signed up for this, it's my first race so despite the bad reports from last year I'm looking forward to it. There's a few people that I work with doing it, so a nice bit of healthy competition:D Hopefully the weather will be a bit nicer this year.

As for the marshalling, assuming that last years was the first year I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and take it as teething problem's.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

Gillo wrote: »
    I've signed up for this, it's my first race so despite the bad reports from last year I'm looking forward to it. There's a few people that I work with doing it, so a nice bit of healthy competition:D Hopefully the weather will be a bit nicer this year.

As for the marshalling, assuming that last years was the first year I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and take it as teething problem's.

Last year I entered this and it was my first ever road race. I enjoyed it so much I ended up doing the marathon.

Dont be put off by some of the negative comments. Even though it was my first race but comparing it to the others I did in between I certainly cant remember any thing bad about the race? Actually though it went pretty smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I did this last year too.

It was my first every race and I enjoyed it despite the weather.

Start wasn't t hat bad for me just think it felt bad for most people as the weather was so bad.

Also, had no issues with marshalling.

I do have two issues.

The registration.

Having such limited hours to pick up pack caused lots of capicity problems and queuing for over an hour is a pain.

The price: €25.00 to €31.50 is totally unjustified in my opinion.

I understand they have to cover costs, but it's sponsored by Samsung and I think they are milking it as it sold out last year.

Not sure if I will go this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Dazed909

murpho999 wrote: »
    I did this last year too.

Having such limited hours to pick up pack caused lots of capicity problems and queuing for over an hour is a pain.

Hi,

Can you fill us in on what the pick up process was last year? I'm thinking of doing this but I hate the inconvenience of races that require pick up in advance of the day itself.

The website just says see FAQs but I can't find any FAQs.

Thanks,

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Dazed909 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you fill us in on what the pick up process was last year? I'm thinking of doing this but I hate the inconvenience of races that require pick up in advance of the day itself.

The website just says see FAQs but I can't find any FAQs.

Thanks,

D

Numbers had to be picked up from a building within Trinity college I think it was on the Friday/Saturday. If I remember correctly there was big delays on the Friday evening with people getting numbers. I picked mine up on Saturday afternoon and it was ok. I think they had more people to help having seen the problems the previous day. I agree it is a pain having to pick up the number before when the cost of posting it out would be well covered by the cost of the race.

They also say on the site that the route has changed this year but there is no details of it on the site. Anyone know what the changes are? It still looks like it starts in the same place.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    They also say on the site that the route has changed this year but there is no details of it on the site. Anyone know what the changes are? It still looks like it starts in the same place.

From what I have heard its going up dame street hairpin turn and back down and then the route is similar to last year with them not going as far as ballsbridge this year. This is secondhand info and not gospel so dont take it as a given!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I sent a tweet to Samsung Mobile Ireland that I found it bad that price had increased to €31.50 and they replied with the following:
    Thanks 4 ur post, the race is a not 4 profit event & the fee covers the cost of organizing race, t-shirt & race pack.

I really wonder if it's totally non-profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

I think going on the experiences of last year and the increased entrance fee I wouldnt run this race just out of spite.

My wife works in the city centre and I asked her to collect my race number on her way home on the Friday evening. The queues were ridiculous and she was told it would be over an hour and she wasnt prepared to wait around.
    I then had to go in myself on the Saturday just to collect the race number.

As many roads were closed on raceday I decided against running the race due to poor weather conditions but I did hear the start was delayed. Overall I think very bad planning and management. Just my two cents worth.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I sent a tweet to Samsung Mobile Ireland that I found it bad that price had increased to €31.50 and they replied with the following:

I really wonder if it's totally non-profit.

Wow, can't wait to get my solid gold bib number!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well god knows what DCC charge ti close streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

The proposed course has been added to the website.

It's different to last year with far more corners.

http://samsungnightrun.com/#headerroute

MapMyRun version: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/175149844/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Looks like a map & compass job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭PaulieC

what a ridiculously complicated route. I was thinking of doing this as I know it's very flat, but all those corners are not really conducive to running a PB

Advertisement