Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭bossdrum

And the item before with Sheila Killian was just ridiculous.. I'm sure that if she ran a business it would be like the Caramel bar ad with the bluebird flying around and landing on her shoulder... But she certainly wouldnt make any profit..

It's very easy for her to tell others how to run a business when her own wages are from the public bankrupt purse.
    If she is so concerned, then she open her own and see what its like in the real world.

Same goes for the union leaders, then they can give their employees massive wages and pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Myles doing a big boring segment on Pensions. Employees/Presenters must be nervous about their jobs over in Montrose :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kent Brockman is interviewing men who live in Hostels.

"looking back on your life, is there anything you regret?"

condescending rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Heard the podcast on the hostels

I suppose I was expecting interviews with people slurring on alcohol
    Maybe that's my own prejudice

That ex-journalist sounded incredibly bright and articulate
    Just a few events close together put him on the streets, sad.
    If it could happen to him it could happen to anyone

I'm liking Myles Dungan and the job he's doing lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Heard the podcast on the hostels

I suppose I was expecting interviews with people slurring on alcohol
    Maybe that's my own prejudice

That ex-journalist sounded incredibly bright and articulate
    Just a few events close together put him on the streets, sad.
    If it could happen to him it could happen to anyone

I'm liking Myles Dungan and the job he's doing lately
    Much improved Myles this stint, obviously being kept on a very tight leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Same here, although I'd add Sean O'Rourke's name to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Joe Higgins defending people with second homes? Well I never.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Much improved Myles this stint, obviously being kept on a very tight leash.

I just got on to make similar remarks so glad im not alone in thinking this. Myles has clearly significantly raised his game recently. He used be as dour as ditchwater and an auto change station. He must have undergone a fair level of retraining so fair play. Pat is still the GOAT of broadcasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

myles worried about people not paying a tax.

wonder why ?

:D

i have to admit to being at a loss to the tack hes trying on the expenses though. the gov do ALOT worse on things for themselves (hogan and his tax avoiding advisers for example)

bert and co must be laughing at that line of questioning.

Ah jasus the smoking prolls again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

And in 20 years Paddy will be interviewing the kids of these people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

And in 20 years Paddy will be interviewing the kids of these people...
    17 years!!! :D

"how did ya get TB at a brothel"

jesus do the maths man !

:D:D:D

im only amazed the bloke didnt reply "riding"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I'm sorry but I just am fed up to the back teeth with Man-O-De-Peeple P.O'Gorman. I find his constant voxpops are now indistinguishable from each other, no matter the subject matter. Switched to 5 Live and will probably stay there from 10am onwards now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

myles worried about people not paying a tax.

wonder why ?

i have to admit to being at a loss to the tack hes trying on the expenses though. the gov do ALOT worse on things for themselves (hogan and his tax avoiding advisers for example)

bert and co must be laughing at that line of questioning.

Surely the point about the expenses is that they are obviously grossly over generous .... expenses, as I understand it, are supposed to reimburse the TD for the cost incurred in travelling to and from the Dáil not to provide a slush-fund to be spent at the discretion of the TD. (Although why they get expenses to travel to their place of work, when they are already on excessive salaries, and the rest of us mere taxpayers cannot claim travel expenses is another issue!)

As with Pierce Doherty last week if Joe has money left from his expenses then clearly he is either overclaiming on expenses or as I said above the expenses being paid are seriously overgenerous and have no relation to the expense actually incurred (if any).
    Quite simply, as in any private company, if you claim expenses you should be required to product documentary proof of that expense.

I despair for this country .... what is it about Leinster House that as soon as anyone puts a foot inside the gate they loose all sense of right and wrong or fair and unfair. That place needs to be fumigated urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

"how did ya get TB at a brothel"

jesus do the maths man !

:D:D:D

im only amazed the bloke didnt reply "riding"

I thought it was a fair question - I'm not a doctor but I don't think TB is an STD. His immune system was severely compromised from the sh1te he was putting into his body, so could he have caught it walking to and from the, err, "house of ill repute".

Yakuza wrote: »
    I thought it was a fair question - I'm not a doctor but I don't think TB is an STD. His immune system was severely compromised from the sh1te he was putting into his body, so could he have caught it walking to and from the, err, "house of ill repute".

It's not an STD but TB is spread by human contact & unsanitary conditions which is why it was rampant in the Dublin slums of the 1940 & 50's. I don't have any first hand knowledge but I somehow doubt that Health & Safety is a big priority in a brothel.

yup.

remember TB is practically extinct here thanks to the measures taken back then to tackle it so where did o gorman think was more likely the bloke got it.

walking around the streets, or in a brothel that serves junkies?

dumbest question ive heard in a long time. which is some feat for RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Callan57 wrote: »
    It's not an STD but TB is spread by human contact & unsanitary conditions which is why it was rampant in the Dublin slums of the 1940 & 50's. I don't have any first hand knowledge but I somehow doubt that Health & Safety is a big priority in a brothel.

Fair enough, but my point was that his lifestyle was such that he could have caught it anywhere, even if he'd never gone near a brothel. There's a line in Trainspotting (the book, I don't think it made it into the film) along the lines of personal hygiene and looking after one's health isn't a major priority for drug-users, so his own living quarters could have been a breeding ground for it.

I guess, though, on the balance of probabilities, he did get it there, just not directly from "de royadin" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yeah, in Trainspotting, the book, that's mentioned. The closest the movie comes to it is when he lists off all of the stuff you have to worry about when you're clean. Football teams etc. Drug abuse weakens your immune system and you are more susceptible to colds and flus, and all manner of things really. Heroin is the worst substance for this, I believe.

I think it is hilarious the way John Banville when being interviewed as Benjamin Black can refer to John Banville in the 3rd person .... very funny man, I could listen to him all day. Love the books too, by both authors! :)

History slot alert!

Drug abuse weakens your immune system and you are more susceptible to colds and flus, and all manner of things really. Heroin is the worst substance for this, I believe.

unfortunately it doesn't make them impotent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

After the 11 o clock news, Myles will be discussing the upcoming work by Seamus Heany reflecting on the Ulster Bank debacle.

This will be followed by an interview with some obscure actor who is playing a monologue part in a six act play in the Gate theatre about the lack of intervention by the financial regulator.

He will then discuss the philisophical relationship between the Central Bank and its its interpetation of what it means to be Irish in 2012 with Fintan O'Toole.

The last 10 Minutes will feature a (recorded) piece portraying the thoughts of Arsene Wenger, with some interesting music of his choice.

I don't know where he's going to find time for the book review of The art of Currency by professor Christiansen Ludwig Amadeus Xuschlezigdorf the Guggenheim Schlokengloken Prikabout Institute of Gobbldy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Shhhhhh Lapin.. I'm trying to listen to this woman explain about how Cromwell was a lonely child..

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Callan57 wrote: »
    I don't have any first hand knowledge but I somehow doubt that Health & Safety is a big priority in a brothel.
    No, I'm sure there are other priorities :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Lapin wrote: »
    After the 11 o clock news, Myles will be discussing the upcoming work by Seamus Heany reflecting on the Ulster Bank debacle.

This will be followed by an interview with some obscure actor who is playing a monologue part in a six act play in the Gate theatre about the lack of intervention by the financial regulator.

He will then discuss the philisophical relationship between the Central Bank and its its interpetation of what it means to be Irish in 2012 with Fintan O'Toole.

The last 10 Minutes will feature a (recorded) piece portraying the thoughts of Arsene Wenger, with some interesting music of his choice.

I don't know where he's going to find time for the book review of The art of Currency by professor Christiansen Ludwig Amadeus Xuschlezigdorf the Guggenheim Schlokengloken Prikabout Institute of Gobbldy.

I find Myles likeable. His arty tangents are a bit overdone but he also tangents to history:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I enjoyed the piece with Jeremy Vine, and the quotes he mentioned from that other Jeremy, (Paxman) were hilarious,funny guy.

He ruined it at the end though by mentioning RT:(:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement