Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ooh! Ooh! I voted!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Voted this morning at 8.30 (before I went to school) and it was great, knew who I was voting for weeks ago.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Yara Proud Trolley

If I had a vote I wudn't vote cause I don't think I know enough about what all the parties objectives are...

I also don't know who are left-wing, rite-wing etc.

Man 11 30 better go to bed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I voted today,I knew who I was going to vote for in the Local and County Council Elections,but for the European :confused:

Gave my 1,2,3,4 to men+women that I know already,clearly im not going to vote for someone that I don't know! After that it was just writing down 4-12 in a random order!*

*Anyone else think the voting ballot was alot like the first question in the Irish LC Test?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I was talking about the amount of people jumping in talking about how its a disgrace and young people shouldnt allowed vote
    I don't think anyone has said 18 year-olds shouldn't be allowed vote. I certainly didn't.
    These arguments belong on the politics forum, not somewhere young people want a giggle
    If you're 18 then I think you're more than old enough to vote. Who you vote for doesn't just affect you, it affects me as well. So please do not treat elections as an opportunity for a giggle, act your age.
    Stev_o wrote: »
    It's a right to vote what you do with it is your business and no one others.
    Yes, and if you're an eighteen year-old woman it's your right to go out, get drunk and get pregnant. It does not make it responsible. And unlike if you decide to get pregnant, how you vote affects everyone.
    EDIT: Also the critisers can't talk they did nothing to oust this current group of *insert derogatory term here* into Government so your criticism is void =P
    How would you know? I have never given a preference to a Fianna Fáil or PD candidate, and no Green candidate got any preference from me this time around.
    Piste wrote: »
    Ah yeah, had a bit of an aul vote today. I can barely remember who I voted for ... I also voted (Way down the list though) for an independent candidate who 's profession was "jobseeker and poet". What a ledgend ... "ah yeah, put him down for the craic"
    Hilarious.

Why don't you give our elections as much respect as older people do, Piste?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Because are political system is crap anyway doesn't matter who is in government at the moment they are going to be just as bad as their predecessors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I don't think anyone has said 18 year-olds shouldn't be allowed vote. I certainly didn't.

If you're 18 then I think you're more than old enough to vote. Who you vote for doesn't just affect you, it affects me as well. So please do not treat elections as an opportunity for a giggle, act your age.

Yes, and if you're an eighteen year-old woman it's your right to go out, get drunk and get pregnant. It does not make it responsible. And unlike if you decide to get pregnant, how you vote affects everyone.

How would you know? I have never given a preference to a Fianna Fáil or PD candidate, and no Green candidate got any preference from me this time around.

Hilarious.

Ok, really, i think you're over-exaggerating this. Everyone is welcome to comment in this forum, but be prepared to see typical teenage responses to things. Please stop being so condescending. Maybe i'm not old enough yet to have made up my mind as to what party to vote for? Some people know from an early age, however, i had no idea who best to vote for. I dont see any of them as capable of improving things for me tbh.

As well as that, you might have noticed that alot of people here are 17/18.....in other words, we are sitting the leaving cert. We have A LOT more on our plate at the moment.

The fact is there is a very large pool of people who won't vote for political party's because of their association with the founding of this state many years ago yet i hardly see anyone go and have a bark at them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ok, really, i think you're over-exaggerating this. Everyone is welcome to comment in this forum, but be prepared to see typical teenage responses to things. Please stop being so condescending. Maybe i'm not old enough yet to have made up my mind as to what party to vote for? Some people know from an early age, however, i had no idea who best to vote for. I dont see any of them as capable of improving things for me tbh.

If you do not have the time to make up who to vote for, how do you have the time to go to the polling station?

Giving ample time to read up about the candidates/referendum goes hand in hand with actually going to the polling station.
    As well as that, you might have noticed that alot of people here are 17/18.....in other words, we are sitting the leaving cert. We have A LOT more on our plate at the moment.
    Using the Leaving Cert as an excuse for an uninformed decision is a cop out.
    We all have done it, yes, it is a hard exam. But we all survived it, and I certainly didn't use it as an excuse to affect the running of our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I voted for him way down my list, so there was no chance of him being elected, but I did it anyway cos I felt sorry for him for being a "jobseeker and poet".

Jonathan wrote: »
    If you do not have the time to make up who to vote for, how do you have the time to go to the polling station?

Giving ample time to read up about the candidates/referendum goes hand in hand with actually going to the polling station.

Using the Leaving Cert as an excuse for an uninformed decision is a cop out.
    We all have done it, yes, it is a hard exam. But we all survived it, and I certainly didn't use it as an excuse to affect the running of our country.

It took me literally 2 minutes on the way home from my exams to vote.
    I'm not using the leaving as an excuse, i'm saying that in my opinion it was more important for me to study than research candidates. In saying that, i read the leaflets they came around with, and i didn't particularly agree with any one of them. No policies stuck out as being something that I should vote for.

• Advertisement

Because are political system is crap anyway doesn't matter who is in government at the moment they are going to be just as bad as their predecessors.
    Just because it sounds cool doesn't make it true.
    Maybe i'm not old enough yet ... i had no idea who best to vote for.
    Then imho you should have put more effort in before you decided to give a number two to Libertas, for example.
    400,000 on the Live Register. If you want to be treated as an adult, expect to face the difficulties we all do.
    The fact is there is a very large pool of people who won't vote for political party's because of their association with the founding of this state many years ago yet i hardly see anyone go and have a bark at them.
    Check the Politics forum.
    I voted for him way down my list, so there was no chance of him being elected, but I did it anyway cos I felt sorry for him for being a "jobseeker and poet".
    Doesn't answer my question, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm sure if any of us were actually interested in politics, we would. No? So why don't you leave the politics discussion to the politics forum, and if anyone wants to have a serious discussion, do it over there?

This is a place for us to relax, have a laugh, etc - Not a place where we all sit down and debate about politics because we enjoy the topic.

K? Thx.

Lets count

Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    That was his own personal opinion. The core support of FG would not be able to stomoch the idea any time this century.
    Mango23
    Nor would Sinn Fein stomach being in power with a bunch of ex-facist blue shirts.

How is the same parties were all for sinn fein power sharing in the north but not here?
    Exactly, free staters is your answer.

Considering SF have had their own illegal private army on the go for many decades now, the irony of that statement isn't lost on me ;-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nodin View Post

"had". So did part of the Labour party. They've moved on......
    A lot of people remain unconvinced of that.

They weren't illegal at all, they were representitive of the soveriegn government of the United Kingdom, of which Ireland was a member. They were much more "legal" than the IRA who never put themselves up for election.

If you were to say the Brits were illegally occupying the place back then you'd have to say they are illegally occupying the place now.

It goes on like this for 5 pages btw in one thread no less in fact i can't be bothered copying and pasting so ill just link it to show what a great example is being set

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579483&highlight=mango23&page=5

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It took me literally 2 minutes on the way home from my exams to vote.
    I'm not using the leaving as an excuse, i'm saying that in my opinion it was more important for me to study than research candidates. In saying that, i read the leaflets they came around with, and i didn't particularly agree with any one of them. No policies stuck out as being something that I should vote for.
    No one is forcing you to vote.

If you didn't agree with any of the policies you could have just spoilt your vote, or even not even bothered going to the polling station.

So why don't you leave the politics discussion to the politics forum, and if anyone wants to have a serious discussion, do it over there?
    Hi. This thread is about voting. You said you didn't vote because you're not interested in politics. That's fine, I didn't berate you for not voting. But others clearly have an interest in politics if they voted.

So, aside from the irony of you telling me I'm not suited to the conversation here, we're discussing politics. If they want to shy away from it nobody is forcing them to reply and I'm not going to follow them around the site.
    Lets count

<snip>
    I never disputed that there are idiots who vote over historical issues. These people are idiots. What I disputed was your claim that "i hardly see anyone go and have a bark at them" - i.e., that they get off without anyone complaining. This post from today (!) says "The reason half of these idiots are in right now is because of children voting for what their parents are voting for and their parents parents etc." So when I said go look at the Politics forum, yeah...

So it's all 18 years fault then not the majority of middle age people continuously backing Fianna Fail over the years then :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I've never even heard of libertas but it sounds fun, theres no.2 for ya"...

So you're the reason Ganley did so well in the north-west :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Yeah, voting for Libertas is not cool.

So you're the reason Ganley did so well in the north-west :mad:
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    Yeah, voting for Libertas is not cool.

I don't actually think i did :confused:
    I know i was against ganleys whole leaflet thingy, so im fairly sure i didnt...
    I just used libertas as an example cos i couldnt remember any other names :rolleyes:
    But then, the brain was frazzled. Can't remember. Such a model voter i am :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hi. This thread is about voting. You said you didn't vote because you're not interested in politics. That's fine, I didn't berate you for not voting. But others clearly have an interest in politics if they voted.

So, aside from the irony of you telling me I'm not suited to the conversation here, we're discussing politics. If they want to shy away from it nobody is forcing them to reply and I'm not going to follow them around the site.

I'm saying this is a thread made for a laugh, bit of craic, etc - It was hardly intended as a serious debate about the local elections ffs. Maybe you just didn't get that. No? There's a politics forum for discussing politics - Why would you want to discuss it here too? And who says they have to have an interest in politics because they voted? Unless you've an undeniable source that every voter is interested in politics, you're talking crap tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

someone who i voted for got in :) i had a warm fuzzy feeling inside when I found out

Doesn't answer my question, though.

Your question is flawed. Just because I was sensible with my first few votes and flippant about my 8th vote (iirc Mr. Poet was no. 8) doesn't make me less "respectful" of voting than older people. I don't see my attitude to be any less respectful than and old woman who votes for the local FG candidate because of prejudices going back to the civil war.

I'm saying this is a thread made for a laugh, bit of craic, etc - It was hardly intended as a serious debate about the local elections ffs. Maybe you just didn't get that. No? There's a politics forum for discussing politics - Why would you want to discuss it here too?
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how stupid, but people have to realise that their votes affect everyone else. It is socially irresponsible to not know who you're voting for. I want to discuss it here because a vote from somebody here counts just as much as a vote from somebody on the Politics forum. I disagree with people on the Politics forum but at least they're fully aware of what they're supporting and as a democrat I respect that. But if people don't even know what they're doing, then they're behaving irresponsibly. And that irresponsibility doesn't just affect them.
    And who says they have to have an interest in politics because they voted? Unless you've an undeniable source that every voter is interested in politics, you're talking crap tbh.
    Lol. "Although people take the time to fill in the pain-in-the-hole forms to get a ticket to the football match, then take time off during their Leaving Cert to go watch the football match, then post a thread on boards.ie about the football match... unless you have a source that they're interested in football you're talking crap." Robust argument.
    Your question is flawed. Just because I was sensible with my first few votes and flippant about my 8th vote (iirc Mr. Poet was no. 8) doesn't make me less "respectful" of voting than older people. I don't see my attitude to be any less respectful than and old woman who votes for the local FG candidate because of prejudices going back to the civil war.
    You can't remember who you voted for. This suggests you hadn't even made your mind up before you'd reached the booth. That's not sensible voting. That's voting on a whim.

I would disagree with people voting for FG on the basis of the civil war just as I would argue against people voting for SF because their economic policies make no sense. But these people are entitled to their opinion and to be fair they reached that opinion in a sensible fashion, i.e. not on a whim. They can say "I voted for FG because I still hate FF" or "I voted for SF because I want a communist state". They're pretty stupid reasons, but you can't even list who you voted for, nevermind why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

For the first time :D

And what a crappy, anticlimatic experience it was. Wander in, a few auld fellas around the place, grab the paper, into the booth.

Used the age old and proven "eeny meeny miny mo"......"O, you look nice".... "You're smiling, you get no.1"...."why does this man not have a picture? Im not voting for him"...."blaaaah this is boring, I've never even heard of libertas but it sounds fun, theres no.2 for ya"...

Ah, teenage logic. It just wasn't as exciting and I'm-changing-the-worldish as expected :rolleyes: Blaaahhhh.

Did yez all vote?!

I don't even have words to describe how much this post disgusts me. I voted for my first time there too, but I knew who I was voting for, I knew why I was voting for, and I knew the contribution they could make if voted in. In your other posts you more or less said the Local Elections didn't matter, even though this election result is making Fine Gael call a motion of no confidence, which definitly matters...

I don't even have words to describe how much this post disgusts me. I don't think I've ever known anyone I respect less than you. I voted for my first time there too, but I knew who I was voting for, I knew why I was voting for, and I knew the contribution they could make if voted in. In your other posts you more or less said the Local Elections didn't matter, even though this election result is making Fine Gael call a motion of no confidence, which definitly matters...Is the only voted so you could tell this story to all your friends and appear cool? Because that's the only reason I can see...

How can you respect someone you don't know? You can't.

Just because you put thought into your vote does that put you in the all mighty chair of judgment?

Reported and grow up.

electrogrimey, you can attack her posts all you want but don't take personal swipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Ok, apologies, didn't mean to make it personal, and thus edited the post. But taking that post as a symbol of the large group who vote that way, I think it is a disgrace. Even people who pick their number one or two and then randomly fill the rest, seeing as 1) you don't need to fill the ballot, and 2) people get elected on even the last transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Ok, so as some may notice, the below is actually a bit hypocritical, but thankfully I have labeled it appropriately, so those who find human nature distasteful can ignore it.
    <hypocrisy>
    I did not vote, I forgot about it in the morning and I was on my way to a party in the evening. I did find it quite ironic that the polling station and the off license would be closing at the same time...

Without doing extensive research, and in fact relying mostly on the (quite impressive IMO) power of my subconscious, I've come to the conclusion that human decision making is quite poor. We simply have trouble reading people and judging situations at even the best of times. For any important position where the stakes are high, to choose an appropriate applicant, I would want to act as if I was on an interviewing panel, see full history of the applicant and have at least a half hour interview with them, and even then I would not fancy my chances of choosing in the best interests of either myself or the country. That would take a lot of time.

It is my belief, again, based on the information gathered and conclusions drawn by my subconscious, that a random choice has better chances of a favourable result than an attempt at an informed choice. We simply cannot know enough, and even if we could (having, say, 7 or so days straight available with which to gather such information), our judgement is still poor. So if I were to vote, I would sit down with a hat, and the candidates names, and work with that.

I do not think that people who vote without reason (for even the above may be considered a reason) are being stupid or irresponsible, and I would not dream of denying that vote. They have their say and their vote to do with as they wish.
    </hypocrisy>

I vote responsibly, I am responsible for my vote, if it is found to be treacherous, lecherous, or to have murderous intent, I will happily be held accountable.

cocoa wrote: »
    Ok, so as some may notice, the below is actually a bit hypocritical, but thankfully I have labeled it appropriately, so those who find human nature distasteful can ignore it.
    <hypocrisy>
    I did not vote, I forgot about it in the morning and I was on my way to a party in the evening. I did find it quite ironic that the polling station and the off license would be closing at the same time...

Without doing extensive research, and in fact relying mostly on the (quite impressive IMO) power of my subconscious, I've come to the conclusion that human decision making is quite poor. We simply have trouble reading people and judging situations at even the best of times. For any important position where the stakes are high, to choose an appropriate applicant, I would want to act as if I was on an interviewing panel, see full history of the applicant and have at least a half hour interview with them, and even then I would not fancy my chances of choosing in the best interests of either myself or the country. That would take a lot of time.

It is my belief, again, based on the information gathered and conclusions drawn by my subconscious, that a random choice has better chances of a favourable result than an attempt at an informed choice. We simply cannot know enough, and even if we could (having, say, 7 or so days straight available with which to gather such information), our judgement is still poor. So if I were to vote, I would sit down with a hat, and the candidates names, and work with that.

I do not think that people who vote without reason (for even the above may be considered a reason) are being stupid or irresponsible, and I would not dream of denying that vote. They have their say and their vote to do with as they wish.
    </hypocrisy>

I vote responsibly, I am responsible for my vote, if it is found to be treacherous, lecherous, or to have murderous intent, I will happily be held accountable.
    tl;dr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Jonathan wrote: »
    tl;dr

much thanks for your comprehensive analysis, constructive criticism and insightful input.

Advertisement