Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira sport shower - Low pressure?

• 05-05-2007 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

I have a electric shower but everytime I turn it on comes up red light low pressure and the shower doesnt even drip was fine the other day any idea's?

The water in toilet, sinks etc are working just the shower isnt which is a pain in the arse not having a shower this time of the year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 city girl

Have the same shower and the same problem. Had been working perfectly. Red light with "low flow" comes on and it only gave drips for a day or two, then decided to work but ran either too cold or scalding hot. Reluctant to tear the whole shower out if its a problem that can be easily fixed. Any ideas, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Could be the filter in the shower.
    Depending on what make it is. Mine is a mira.
    You would have to kill the power and shut off the water to the shower and remove the cover. At the bottom of the pipe that comes in to the shower is a small screw in filter. On mine this has a plastic nut. If you can unscrew this and clean out the filter it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

I had this problem on and off for last two yrs it was the filter was dirty ended up happened every few months had to clean the tank in attic in the end no problems since

• Registered Users Posts: 45 city girl

Thanks for all replies- will try suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daky

I had the same low pressure problems recently. The shower had been in and working fine for 14 years but the low pressure light came on recently and the water reduced to a dribble.
    Checked and cleaned the filter but no change.
    A friendly plumber advised me that it might be the pilot valve causing the problems.

Went on the net to

WWW.showerdoc.co.uk
    Brilliant site! Had all the parts diagrams for all shower types.
    I was able to order part online and it arrived 3 days later.
    For my shower(MIRA SPORT 8.5 1992- 1996
    model)
    the part waS:

419.87 PILOT VAL/SWITCH ASSEMBLY Total cost £39 including delivery

I HAVE SINCE FITTED IT AND THE SHOWER IS WORKING PERFECTLY!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 andyscan

Message to Daky,

How easy was it to replace the pilot valve on your mira shower?

Did you have to take the whole shower off the wall or could you repalce the valve in-situ

Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I had the same problem, The hose was kinked in the inside it looked perfect on the outside just replaced the hose €10 in Woodies and B+Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daky

Andy

I was able to replace the valve without taking the shower of the wall. It was a bit fiddly , but a person with reasonable DIY skills should be able to do it.

Daky

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Just to say thanks to beldin, cleaning the input filter on our mira shower was enough to return the input pressure to normal. 2.5 years since you posted.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

beldin wrote: »
    Could be the filter in the shower.
    Depending on what make it is. Mine is a mira.
    You would have to kill the power and shut off the water to the shower and remove the cover. At the bottom of the pipe that comes in to the shower is a small screw in filter. On mine this has a plastic nut. If you can unscrew this and clean out the filter it might help.
    have this problem myself. water coming out fine speed, but low flow and therefore it's cold water only. how do i turn off the water to the shower???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jimbuckleybarre

poindexter wrote: »
    have this problem myself. water coming out fine speed, but low flow and therefore it's cold water only. how do i turn off the water to the shower???

Well with my house, I have to switch off the main water value coming into the house. Usually it's under the sink, in my case it's next to the heater in the util room as this is the point where it enters the house.

Then run all the cold taps to remove what water is left in the system.

I have a no flow problem but I've checked for blockage and there is power getting to everything. No water is coming through, Flow value?

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

dear op. routine maintenance dictates that the filter be cleaned at regular intervals. manual with shower. if not suffer the consequences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

I cleaned my Mira Sport filter this morning and the pressure improved somewhat but the low flow light still comes. Only cold water comes out unless I move the pressure dial to Low and then back to High.

So the filter isn't the problem, it's not the hose (I took of the head and ran the water which came out clear i.e no gunk) so perhaps it's the pilot valve. I looked on the showerco site mentioned above but can't find anything related to a 'pilot' valve.

Is there another name for the pilot valve ?

Is there anything else I should check before I order the part ?

TIA

Edit: Part found here: http://www.showerdoc.com/mira-pilot-valve-419-87#reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

HobbyMan wrote: »
    I cleaned my Mira Sport filter this morning and the pressure improved somewhat but the low flow light still comes. Only cold water comes out unless I move the pressure dial to Low and then back to High.

So the filter isn't the problem, it's not the hose (I took of the head and ran the water which came out clear i.e no gunk) so perhaps it's the pilot valve. I looked on the showerco site mentioned above but can't find anything related to a 'pilot' valve.

Is there another name for the pilot valve ?

Is there anything else I should check before I order the part ?

TIA

Edit: Part found here: http://www.showerdoc.com/mira-pilot-valve-419-87#reviews

There is probably nothing wrong with your shower, you need 0.9 bar maintained mains water presssure, if the low flow light comes on then it means you dont have sufficent maintained water pressure? which is a common problem with mains operated showers.
    If you try your shower at different times of the day and particurally around mid morning / lunch time you should see a signifignant pressure increase, which should turn off the low flow light this will rule in or out an inlet water pressure or pilot valve issue

Advertisement