Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb rolls out 30Mbps broadband services

• 07-03-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/26121-digiweb-rolls-out-30mbps-br

Broadband provider Digiweb has rolled out a new 30Mbps broadband service to an addressable market of 500,000 homes across Ireland.

Digiweb's Metro Express service combines 30Mbps broadband and phone services for €30 a month and does not require a traditional landline.

The service is available in many areas that can only currently receive 1Mbps coverage from traditional DSL service providers or which are beyond the catchment area of most towns.

Digiweb employs 145 people and owns its own integrated fibre, wireless, unbundled exchange and satellite network. It serves 80,000 customers in Ireland.

“Our high-speed Metro Express 30Mbps service will significantly improve the customer experience for internet users across Ireland with faster downloads and lower prices for consumers, and enable better, faster services and new technology opportunities for Irish business," Digiweb CEO Colm Piercy said.

“This latest innovation, developed here in Ireland, performs three or more times faster than typical 8Mbps services available from other providers," Piercy added.

John Kennedy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

That's a lovely piece of PR.

This package has less of a usage cap than their 12Mbps package.

5Mb -> 50GB
    8Mb -> 60GB
    12Mb -> 70GB
    30Mb -> 60GB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

RangeR wrote: »
    That's a lovely piece of PR.

This package has less of a usage cap than their 12Mbps package.
    [/B]

Digiweb are the kings of paltry caps ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It because metro is Wireless. They would need x4 amount of spectrum to generally offer 30Mbs at same cap and x16 amount of spectrum to offer UPC caps and speed. Or 1/15th the number of customers.

It may be a marketing ploy, but at least unlike Mobile they are not offering the impossible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

watty wrote: »
    It because metro is Wireless.

Yes, but they are just as bad with their weird services.

Despite having fibre to the building, Smart/Digiweb only offer 10mb with a 170GB cap and charge a lot for more cap.

Not competitive at all with Eircom, never mind UPC!

Yes, that's strange. There must be a bottle neck somewhere.

• Advertisement

Sounds like crappy backhaul to me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

bealtine wrote: »

Maybe they have a few leprechauns shuttling the packets on wheelbarrows, to and from the interconnect, considering their siteeeeation?

bk wrote: »
    Yes, but they are just as bad with their weird services.

!

weird eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

And it's €45month, not €30. You get 1 month free, essentially, with their special offer.

Year 1 cost of Digiweb Metro, for comparison, is €495 including VAT, and is payable quarterly in advance (unlike most residential broadband).

Had a very satisfied few years on Metro, had to switch transmitter due to contention, but it was sorted out within a week, as far as I can remember. The phone service never worked satisfactorily for me, mind.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nope, when Smart first started offering broadband in the building, the speeds were uncapped and I was happily getting about 20mb/s.

Then they decided to trial a new MPEG4 IPTV system. They then capped the broadband speeds at 10mb/s as it would give a more stable profile for use by IPTV.

However after about a year they completely scrapped their IPTV system, Sky was installed in the building for TV, but Smart never bothered to lift the cap and allow customers to buy smarts more expensive 24mb products.

There is no backhaul problems, it is down to pure laziness, they just don't want to bother offering better products where they have a monopoly.

They really should never have used ADSL DSLAMS in the basement either. Each apartment is wired using Cat5e from the basement, so they should have used an ethernet based system like Magnet does it it's developments. Much more future proof.

Hopefully they should upgrade to VDSL2+ or better yet an ethernet based system some day. But I have little hope of that.
    weird eh?

:D

• Advertisement

Smart only had one plan. Get loads of customers by any method and get bought out. Didn't happen. Digiweb only bought what was left at firesale prices after the shutters went up. Also I don't think Digiweb has any intention of doing any investment or major changes till the economic climate has changed. It's a very different outfit than it was 4 years ago.

Advertisement