Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boards Irish Top 25

• 12-10-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Came up with this idea after seeing it done on a UK forum, great way to keep the forum active and generate interest in Irish wrestling.

Basically we, the PW members, are going to come up with a list of the top 25 wrestlers in Ireland today. If this goes well hopefully it will become an annual thing.

How it works is simple:

1)Before October 26th (Two weeks from today), PM me your list (In order) of Irelands ten best wrestlers. Leave a comment with each name as to why they have gotten your vote. It's important to keep them ranked as the higher you place them the more points they get. (EG: Your number 1 vote gets 10 points, 2 gets 9 etc.)

2)After this date I'll total the results and post the top 25, with either 2 or 3 entrants per day. The list will also go onto www.thebostoncrab.net in a seperate section (Under the Irish wrestling dates).

3) Of course, there are certain wrestlers who cannot make this list. Since it's to rank the top active wrestlers in Ireland, those who are making their main home in America or Japan cannot be included, which means Sheamus, Fit Finlay and Fergal Devitt are excused from nomination.

4) Don't post your choices in this thread, let's keep the element of suprise active and keep all nominations secret :)

Now let's get voting!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Great idea man, perhaps we get the winner on the podcast, to have a chat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Good idea, but I cannot see enough people having enough knowledge of Irish wrestling to make this a viable list. It is far diffeent in the UK where there are far more travelling promotions. In Ireland, unless you live in the Dublin commuter belt, you have not a hope.

Perhaps a top 5/10 would be more realistic. I would suggest it would even be a struggle to name 25 active Irish wrestlers.

Last show in Cork was AWR, which was great, but previous to that, the ring did not even arrive!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

I think this is a great idea too... though a list of 25 wouldn't be worthwhile. A top ten is a different story though, as there's between 10-20 guys who's names always come up on upcoming shows, and a few in particular really stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Cool, let's knock it down to ten for this year:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Have to say even picking ten would be a struggle for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Any chance of getting FFPW/NLW, DCW, IwW etc to give us a list of the active and regular rosters?

As this is the first and there hasnt been a great deal of touring within the country for the last 2(ish) years, how bout this one be the top 25 of irish wrestlers who are still active, or at least in the last few years?

Ie: Mandrake. I havent seen him once in the last year or whatever but when i did see him i thought he was fantastic but my references to why wouldnt be out of the last 12 months.

does that make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Of all time or current? Like Red Vinny for example would be in mine but as far as I know hes retired

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Outside Devitt, Sheamus and the Ballymun Bruiser I couldn't name you any more irish wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

if you had asked me 4 years ago then i would have been able to create a top 10 list but having been away from the irish scene last 18 months or so it would be a struggle

just throwing a few names out there, red vinny is now gone but he would have easily made top 10, bingo ballance, paddy morrow, joey cabra, mandrake, duncan disorderly, shawn maxer, paul tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NI Nightmare

It's not an exhastive list, but off the top of my head, the following are currently active on the Irish scene:

Dunkan Disorderly
    Omen
    Paul tracy
    Shawn Maxer
    Justin Shape
    Philly the Kid
    Robbie Morrissey
    Paddy Morrow
    Kev Rocks
    Danny Butler
    Sean South
    Bingo Ballance
    JC Williams
    Mad Man Manson
    Bonesaw
    Andy Pheonix
    Danny Deans
    John Jennings
    Thunder
    Lightning
    Gerry Soul
    Vic Viper
    Tucker
    Ballymun Bruiser
    Mandrake
    The Supermodel
    Jordan Devlin
    Tron
    JDP
    Corvin
    Toxic
    Mighty Marty Andrews
    Enrico Rancor
    Loco Sanchez
    Loco Magico
    Aaron Atari
    Owen Omega
    Timmy Stranex
    Vice
    DJ Marshall
    Mr Smee
    Raging Bull
    Victor Payne
    Shinobi
    Johnny Stash
    Paddy Whack
    B. Cool
    D. Max
    Kevin McDermot
    Sammy D

Casey Owens
    Laura McGoran
    Rachelle St Clair
    Lucious Lucy
    "Footloose" Freeda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

That list above pretty much covers it from an FFPW/NLW point of view.

I'd like to add... This is a great idea! It should drum up some interest in the scene. I'd imgine the 1st list may not match up reality, due to some people only seeing FFPW or NLW or DCW or IWW or PWU but in time it could mature as the scene does too. Its a good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Justin Ternet

Im not so asure we'd ever see an actual definitive list though. With this kind of thing you always see wrestlers and their friends from their own promotion voting for themselves. It turns from a popularity contest into a ' who can get more friends to sign up to boards and vote for me' contest. It'll be like irish wrestlings version of the european song contest. But hey sure lets give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

''It'll be like irish wrestlings version of the european song contest.''

hahahaha - Quility!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I fully intend voting Conor Hurley 10 times.

Just to comment on what some people are saying:

The point in this is to generate interest in Irish wrestling. Yes some of you may be unaware of Irish wrestlers, but a thread such as this may generate interest to get you to go out to a show and see some of these guys.

I know that we don't have as big a scene as the UK, but over the past months more and more people are checking out local shows and following the storylines/feuds. In fact shows have sold out a few times.

While some guys might get their freinds and family to get an account and vote for them (Which hasn't happened yet, so far I have been getting very diverse lists!), I should be able to spot them by their votes and will attend to it should it happen.

It's abit of fun and it helps local wrestling, which has brought us two huge names (Sheamus and Fergal Devitt), so hopefully we can help create more names.

That list posted above is brilliant, I have a few names I can add to it which I'll do now in a few moments.

If anything else it'll be an interesting read. Have you had many lists so far?

A good few aye, very different wrestlers in each list but the current leader isn't who I was expecting!

A good few aye, very different wrestlers in each list but the current leader isn't who I was expecting!
    conor-hurley-title.jpg?w=200&h=300

??

??

In a perfect world...

We now have enough names to do a full Top 25 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

??

nice title conor

• Advertisement

Gerard.C wrote: »
    nice title conor

Mod Edit: Unacceptable. Warning given.

Wonder does that FTW .......

In this case i think so, yeah.

Can't get over the response this has gotten so quickly. I have some name nominations that there is a chance that we could have done a top 50 if more individual names come into me!

Might have sent mine about 50 times sorry. Its mad that you're getting such a big response its great for Irish wrestling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SammyD!

1.Dunky D

2.Omen

3.Paul Tracey

4.Justin Shape

5.Sean Maxer Brennan

6.Phily The Kid

7.Jordan Devlin

8.Paddy Morrow

9.Andy Pheonix

10. Danny Butler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Can't get over the response this has gotten so quickly. I have some name nominations that there is a chance that we could have done a top 50 if more individual names come into me!

Must say I am surprised, but am also delighted.

Fair play TBC.

So far it's a close race in the top 3, but nominations don't close for awhile so who knows were it will go!

So far the top 10 has a great mix of different talents from different groups.

whens the closing date?

I have to finalise one or two of mine

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    whens the closing date?

I have to finalise one or two of mine
    October 26th:)

Advertisement