Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Internet Radio - 16th Aug

• 13-08-2007 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭

Apparently a "radio" that uses your wireless internet connection to play internet radio channels. €100.

http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys/product_332.html

I've never heard of this species of yoke before. It seems pretty cool to me but I'm sure cooler and wiser heads will prevail. Your thoughts appreciated.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Buy it and if it doesn't work or do what you want bring it back
    within a month for a refund. Usually you have 30 days with Aldi
    to return for a refund without any hassle or quibbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

i have one, the wireless radio thing.. not this model but they are a great idea... you get all channels that broadcast on the internet.... works great and is wireless or cable connected

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tav

Wouldn't be just cheaper to use winamp/itunes?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

The advantage of this type of device is that you can listen to the Internet radio while your computer is switched off.

I have a similar one called a Roku/Soundbridge M1000 (I think) and it's class - means I can just walk into the kitchen in the morning and switch on Internet radio. Add in MP3 playback when the PC is on (or if I add a NAS drive I could listen to MP3s while PC is off), and its not hard to see the benefits.

I use a wired connection to my LAN for mine cos I just don't find wireless to be reliable enough, and would think about adding one of these Tevion ones if I could confirm it also had a wired connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

I believe that these radios have software provided by Reciva. Out of curiousity (and more than a bit off-thread), here is a list of the most popular internet radio broadcasts from Ireland, according to Reciva;

click here

Interesting to see that FM104 is bringing up the rear and Midwest/Highland are up near the top......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'm happy with my FM Transmitter, costs a lot less than the gadge above, amazon uk have a good selection

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-2379766-0070204?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=FM+Transmitter&Go.x=13&Go.y=12

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

DonJose wrote:
    I'm happy with my FM Transmitter, costs a lot less than the gadge above, amazon uk have a good selection

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-2379766-0070204?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=FM+Transmitter&Go.x=13&Go.y=12
    It costs a lot less because it does something completely different.

Does anyone who has one know how long it takes to actually "boot up" (ie from when you switch it on to when the first station starts to play).

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Zilog

I see PC World/Currys/Dixons in the UK offer a similar internet radio, the Logik IR100, sans the FM, for about £50 sterling, would work out about €80 if rip-off Ireland doesn't apply.
    Has anyone noticed if the Irish stores have them on-offer in Ireland before I brave the M50? Looked at them last year, they were about €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quigo

I have one one of these hooked to the tv

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tunecenter/

Not quite the same tech but does a similar job, the stations are ready after about 10sec of syncing. This probably isn't helped by being attached to the router by a 10m cable.

Like the look of the Roku SoundBridge more than the aldi one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Zilog wrote:
    I see PC World/Currys/Dixons in the UK offer a similar internet radio, the Logik IR100, sans the FM, for about £50 sterling, would work out about €80 if rip-off Ireland doesn't apply.
    Has anyone noticed if the Irish stores have them on-offer in Ireland before I brave the M50? Looked at them last year, they were about €150.

they were €110ish a few weeks ago, and dog slow changing station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

they were €110ish a few weeks ago, and dog slow changing station.

I just rang Currys in Swords and the Ir100 is listed there at €129, rip off Ireland alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

Though a trip up to Newry will get You the Ir100 for £49 and the have them in stock.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FWIW the Logik IR100 seems to be mono, Aldi one is stereo.

Dubsmax wrote:
    Though a trip up to Newry will get You the Ir100 for £49 and the have them in stock.. :D

Be a good opportunity to test that new bit of motorway alright, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Do they work with security enabled wireless network

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

TheDriver wrote:
    Do they work with security enabled wireless network
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Interesting ,I've been after something like this for a while but was put off by the rip off prices for a decent one.
    Alot of these internet radios only allow you access to subscription services and dont include the main stations ,i.e BBC R1,2Fm etc.
    It supports Real formats so thats promising .
    This one seems to access all the true radio channels so I think I'll get one.
    Knowing my luck all the fecking scavengers will snap them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

TBH a modded xbox with xbmc will do a lot better job in terms of streaming radio and a whole lot more...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

dal wrote:
    It costs a lot less because it does something completely different.

Does anyone who has one know how long it takes to actually "boot up" (ie from when you switch it on to when the first station starts to play).

I got the Dixon Logik branded one for Christmas and I absolutely LOVE it.
    When you turn it on from cold (i.e. plug it into the wall and turn it on) it takes maybe 15 seconds to boot up. Mine boots Linux on an ARM processor.

But you're going to be turning it on from standby 99% of the time, so it switches on instantly.

It can be slow find a station because Revica software updates the list of stations a lot of the time when you go into the station lookup. However, anyone with sense is going to use the preset buttons (there are 5) to save their favourite channels.

Actually connecting to a station depends on the quality of the stream. Connecting to a BBC radio stream, for instance, takes 3-5 seconds to start playing once i hit the preset. Connecting to LBC London takes 10-15 seconds at times because they obviously don't have the capacity.

In addition to this, there is the 'My streams' feature on the Reciva site. When you register your radio on here, you can create your own radio stations. For instance, if you listen to stations that use a .pls format and aren't on the Reciva list, you can add them here, and then after rebooting your radio, 'My streams' will show up in your radio menu. Simple!

Your Reciva radio will also connect to any UPnP shares, so you can listen to the music on your computer/network attached storage, and create playlists etc.

I absolutely love these radios and would recommend them 100%!
    The ALDI one does look quite bulky though, and by adding an FM aeriel they are somewhat missing the point. I would recommend the Logik radio - you can get them on eBay for around £30.

degsie wrote:
    TBH a modded xbox with xbmc will do a lot better job in terms of streaming radio and a whole lot more...;)

You're completely missing the point of this radio. XBMC is all well and good, but this is more for the kitchen/conservatory/bedroom, when you want to listen to high quality radio without booting up an xbox or a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

eth0_ wrote:
    I would recommend the Logik radio - you can get them on eBay for around £30.
    Are you sure ,they seem alot higher than that .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

eth0_ wrote:

Looks like the P&P for that one would be about £20, which is ridiculous when you consider the weight of it and what it will actually cost the seller. Guess that's my main beef with eBay and not specific to that seller though....I just find the postage prices to be absolute rip-off, must be where sellers make a lot of their profit.

That does look like a handy enough device though. I doubt it's as good as the Roku, which functions well and just absolutely looks the business, but it still looks a good deal for the price. What is the quality of the inbuilt speaker like?

Does it also take a wired ethernet connection?

I've been trying to find threads on these type of players but can't seem to find many on boards - does anyone know where they're hiding?

I've been trying to find threads on these type of players but can't seem to find many on boards - does anyone know where they're hiding?

Don't know any threads on boards.ie, but here's a good page on the IR100:
    http://logikir100.tripod.com/Logik.htm

Gives a few 'hacks', including connecting to a wired internet connection using a USB to ethernet module. I figure connecting the IR100 to a stereo amp/input would be easy enough too, as there's a 3.5mm headphone jack at the rear, so use a 3.5mm to 2-phono lead.

Still, be nice to get a reasonably priced one locally without resorting to a trip to Newry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Anybody buy the Aldi radio - is it worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

Got one this morning. Have not tried internet side yet but the FM radio works fine. Only drawback I find is that it only works from mains via a supplied power unit. No battery facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lasno wrote:
    Got one this morning. Have not tried internet side yet but the FM radio works fine. Only drawback I find is that it only works from mains via a supplied power unit. No battery facility.

does it have a enternet port, it addition to the wireless link?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

No facility for ethernet connection just wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

lasno wrote:
    No facility for ethernet connection just wireless.
    The reception of wifi isn't too strong either, I know the signal is weak around where I work but it's enough to work off a laptop, will have a better idea when I get home this evening, maybe with Internet Radios, the acceptable wifi strength needs to be stronger as it's about streaming rather than a signal coming and going, like the unit though. Worked fine nearer the router and was listening to Australian radio as a test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Bought one in Galway (Headford Rd) at lunchtime. About 6 of them left. It's small but in a positive sense. Connected to wireless network using WPA and browsed stations without looking at manual - very easy to use.

You can browse over 6000 stations on the unit by browsing by genre or country. You can also register on the RECIVA site with the serial number of your radio. Stations can be browsed and linked to your profile here. When you select "My stations" on the radio it pulls these down over the net - very impressive.

It also picks up shares on your network containing music - didn't play much with this yet - so far very impressed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement