Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Networking Query - Magnet

• 24-06-2009 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving into a new place with Magnet as the BB (fibre optic network) provider.

The house is prewired with DSL sockets in each room.

I'll have 4 devices (tv, ps3, 360 & laptop) I want to connect to the network in my own room - do I just use a router?

I have an old spare Netopia one at home, would that do the job?

I know in my current house it would work fine but not sure what way magnet is set up as I've seen people plug their laptop directly into the DSL connection on the wall and I was wondering how it worked without a router and then if there was some central router that is built into the house maybe?

We'll probably most likely be putting in a wireless network also so is it fine to have more than one or two routers on the network?

As for wireless security am I best to go with WPA encryption?

Thanks

Keith :confused::confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

There will be a patch panel hidden in a cupboard somewhere in the house with a switch connecting all your network ports. Magnets router will be either in here or near by.

You can just plug your wireless router into any network wall socket and run it from there. magnets router handles ip allocation for all connected devices using it as a gateway.

if you want to set up your own network policies etc.. you can set all devices to go through your router and set magnets router as the gateway for your router, then all security settings such as mac filtering ect.. are set on your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Keith186

hobochris wrote: »
    There will be a patch panel hidden in a cupboard somewhere in the house with a switch connecting all your network ports. Magnets router will be either in here or near by.

You can just plug your wireless router into any network wall socket and run it from there. magnets router handles ip allocation for all connected devices using it as a gateway.

if you want to set up your own network policies etc.. you can set all devices to go through your router and set magnets router as the gateway for your router, then all security settings such as mac filtering ect.. are set on your router.

Thanks, that makes sense now...

Chris,

Got the broadband yesterday. Went to plug in the old Netopia Router but it's so old there was only a phone jack in and a Ethernet out socket (and firewire for usb connection to laptop). This renders it pretty much useless now.
    The magnet + PVR box is also gonna be taking up a new socket.

Also when you say just plug the router into the magnet DSL socket say there were 4 ports on back of router, do I just plug an ethernet in from say socket 1 into wall and the router will work like a double adapter as such i.e. do the ethernet ports work both ways as it won't be a phone jack. (sorry to sound stupid).

Do you/anyone know a cheap enough router that'll do the job?

Need to plug in TV for DNLA, Magnet PVR box, Xbox, PS3 and wireless laptop.

I can get a free Netopia of the missus as she got a new one when she signed back up. It's wireless and has 4 ports on the back so would this work and I can just use either the PS3 or 360 wireless or swap cables? I already have wireless adapter for 360 from my old gaf or built in wireless on PS3 anyway.

Even if the free netopia works let me know if you know any other cheap routers as may need one for downstairs.

Thanks

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Clone

Hi

I live in a magnet Fibre to the Home area.

You can plug your wireless router into any of the connected ether net ports around the house or directly into the switch that all the sockets lead to.

I'm currently using a D-link DIR 300 which was cheap enough and works a treat.

Although recently I have an issue where internet connection is dropping but comes back with a router restart.This is an issue I had while using another router aswell. So I believe it is something to do with the computers on my network (3 pc and mac) mainly the mac not wanting to share the connection; rather than an issue with the router. Considering it was working brilliantly for months.

Clone wrote: »
    Hi

I live in a magnet Fibre to the Home area.

You can plug your wireless router into any of the connected ether net ports around the house or directly into the switch that all the sockets lead to.

I'm currently using a D-link DIR 300 which was cheap enough and works a treat.

Although recently I have an issue where internet connection is dropping but comes back with a router restart.This is an issue I had while using another router aswell. So I believe it is something to do with the computers on my network (3 pc and mac) mainly the mac not wanting to share the connection; rather than an issue with the router. Considering it was working brilliantly for months.

Thanks Clone.
    Should be getting my hands on the netopia one tonight so I'll try that out first then might get the D-Link for downstairs if needs be.
    Keith

• Advertisement

No joy with the Netopia, it fecked up the whole thing and I had to restart the magnet router beside the switch board.

I plugged an ethernet cable from the wall into the Netopia and then plugged in a couple device and nothing would work, not even this laptop.
    Then nothing would work at all with a connection to the wall socket apart from the pvr box so I restarted the main modem downstairs and got them working again.

Second time I Cisco Linksys Internet Phone adapter they provided (model PAP2T) and plugged the ethernet into this and then the phone jack into the Netopia but no devices would work via the Netopia so I'm stumped.

The DSL light on the Netopia just keeps flashing, anyone got any ideas?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Right, gonna ask one of the guys about this, check back in a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Keith186 wrote: »
    We'll probably most likely be putting in a wireless network also so is it fine to have more than one or two routers on the network?

Yeah it's alright to have two routers on a network, in your case you'll want the Magnet router giving out IP addresses so what you should do is disable DHCP on your Netopia box. Can't remember off the top of my head whereabouts this setting is but it should be in the config somewhere.
    As for wireless security am I best to go with WPA encryption?

Yes WPA-PSK should be fine for a home network.
    Second time I Cisco Linksys Internet Phone adapter they provided (model PAP2T) and plugged the ethernet into this and then the phone jack into the Netopia but no devices would work via the Netopia so I'm stumped.

The DSL light on the Netopia just keeps flashing, anyone got any ideas?

Not gonna work either, I'm assuming this Netopia is an unwanted Eircom BB piece of kit? If so it's a combined DSL Modem/Router, all you want is the switching/routing functionality the DSL Modem bit of it isn't going to be any use to you in this case. The Netopia probably needs some reconfiguration it's not a simple as just plug in and play as the Netopias will be configured to work out of the box for an Eircom customer.

rmacm wrote: »
    so what you should do is disable DHCP on your Netopia box.

Not gonna work either, I'm assuming this Netopia is an unwanted Eircom BB piece of kit? Yes If so it's a combined DSL Modem/Router, all you want is the switching/routing functionality the DSL Modem bit of it isn't going to be any use to you in this case. The Netopia probably needs some reconfiguration it's not a simple as just plug in and play as the Netopias will be configured to work out of the box for an Eircom customer.

Thanks rmacm, I'll have a go at this later. I found the routers homepage but I didn't ahve the password to get into settings etc. I'll try admin and other common passwords etc (maybe google will help me) and try to reconfigure it.

Don't really know what I'm at but I've changed a few things on my old BT Voyager and got it to do what I wanted so there's a glimmer of hope.

I presume I'm best off just plugging my laptop into router and changing the settings then if possible then try it after that.

If I get into router settings will I be able to change the WEP/WPA key without knowing it in the first place as there's none on the bottom of it and couldn't get it working for the life of me when my g/f was using it in her house last year. I got her new one working on wireless no probs but that had a key...

I have talked to the guys and unless there is something we are missing here this is just a case where you are using a DSL router for an FTTH enabled home. In short this wont work.

I would recommend our own ruckus (wireless access point). Its 7.50 per month or you can buy it from us for 99.

• Advertisement

Rory,

Reviews look good for the ruckus.

Can't get the netopia working at all, its too complicated!

Not worth renting at that price so will probably just buy it.

Say in a year's time I move somewhere else with eircom can I plug the ruckus into the netopia and get the full benefits of it ir is it rendered useless unless I'm in FTTH developments?

Let us know tomorrow as I'll prob order then.

Keith

Rory,

Reviews look good for the ruckus.

Can't get the netopia working at all, its too complicated!

Not worth renting at that price so will probably just buy it.

Say in a year's time I move somewhere else with eircom can I plug the ruckus into the netopia and get the full benefits of it ir is it rendered useless unless I'm in FTTH developments?

Let us know tomorrow as I'll prob order then.

Keith

We have customers who are using the ruckus in ADSL2+ areas (this is similar to regular to phone line DSL with faster download and lower contention). Here they plug it into the telsey box (also wireless) in order to watch our PCTV service wirelessly (the telsey doesn't support this in most cases).

While this works fine for our ADSL2+ customers I cannot confirm how it interacts with other (non telsey) routers.

Advertisement