Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could our dreams be really inter-dimensional astral travel?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

So you're telling me that there's actually some universe out there with two hundred clones of Tiffany Amber Thiessen and they all want to roll around with me? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

They probably are. In my dreams, I have been far even as decided to use want do. Once you have, everything seems possible.

Also, are there really 225 people who have registered as "TexasSinkholeFan" before the bump today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Hmmmm, intensive purposes, the best kind.

Yep, I stopped reading right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I don't even know what this board is for, but I signed up just to reply to this post. A lot of people are scoffing at this this idea without any thought or good argument. The original author presents a hypothesis that is worded in a new agey way, but for all intensive purposes is quite correct. While scientifically it has not been proven that dreams are more than random brain activity, there are plenty of cultures and religions that do propose that dreams are not only significant but are in fact extensions of reality, or a gateway to the spiritual world. That's not my argument however. I am not a religious person, yet I have always believed that dreams were real. However, that is purely because there is no effective difference whether the contents of dreams are "real" (to science) or not; because we perceive them. The practicality of it is that as you dream you receive sensory data from the same sensory areas that you interpret the waking world with. If you experience a dream that is real feeling, how is that not your realty at that time? Just because there is no quantifiable physical travel during sleep, does not mean that the mental construct that is yourself is not traveling. I will even take this a step further and argue that since the experience is real for the individual, and in dreams there is typically a different setting than your bedroom, then those places may be best described as other dimensions. To me dreams are exactly what the original author states. Science is great at explaining physical properties and functions in the universe, but notoriously bad at defining the human experience. It's the wrong tool for the job, and in this case is irrelevant. Hate away, I'm sure I'll never check this again!:D

You are just adorable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I don't even know what this board is for, but I signed up just to reply to this post. A lot of people are scoffing at this this idea without any thought or good argument. The original author presents a hypothesis that is worded in a new agey way, but for all intensive purposes is quite correct. While scientifically it has not been proven that dreams are more than random brain activity, there are plenty of cultures and religions that do propose that dreams are not only significant but are in fact extensions of reality, or a gateway to the spiritual world. That's not my argument however. I am not a religious person, yet I have always believed that dreams were real. However, that is purely because there is no effective difference whether the contents of dreams are "real" (to science) or not; because we perceive them. The practicality of it is that as you dream you receive sensory data from the same sensory areas that you interpret the waking world with. If you experience a dream that is real feeling, how is that not your realty at that time? Just because there is no quantifiable physical travel during sleep, does not mean that the mental construct that is yourself is not traveling. I will even take this a step further and argue that since the experience is real for the individual, and in dreams there is typically a different setting than your bedroom, then those places may be best described as other dimensions. To me dreams are exactly what the original author states. Science is great at explaining physical properties and functions in the universe, but notoriously bad at defining the human experience. It's the wrong tool for the job, and in this case is irrelevant. Hate away, I'm sure I'll never check this again!:D

So when we sleep we slip between conscious, reality is where we are at the time. String theory is a version of us all in another universe ?.

I'm up for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

The OP should read HP Lovecraft's 'Beyond The Wall Of Sleep'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Post was a bit of a damp squid.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Yep, I stopped reading right there.

Me too, stopped reading as soon as I read that.

However, that's one thing I love about the internet, finding out the funny things people have been saying (probably for years) in place of the actual word/saying/expression etc.

My all-time favourite so far is: pedal stool = pedestal.

"He won't hear a bad word said about her - he puts her on a pedal stool"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Could our dreams be really inter-dimensional astral travel?

My knob for some reason, was doing some inter-dimensional travelling down my sister-in-laws throat on Tuesday night. Now I know why she was a bit weird with me earlier today, thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What if, like, our dreams are actually reality and our "real life" is really just us dreaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I wanted to stop at the bolded part, it's "intents and purposes", but I read on, much to my detriment.

What you are basically saying is "Science can't explain dreams, so they could be anything, so I believe they must be the most ridiculous thing I can find on the internet".

Lets apply Occam's Razor and call it a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 09898531

I had a serious intensive dream last night. I was sent on a secret mission to go to England and steal their 4G cable. People who sent me threatened to kill me if I didn't succeed. When I got back here I decided to **** them over so I gave it to my friend who really wanted to look at it. They found me by following the massive 4G cable coming out of he sea and into my friends sitting room. Then there was a big dramatic escape sequence, then it went a bit slapstick, then I wok up and had to pee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Well any thread can live again!

I think the OP must have read Richard Bach's book; Illusions. In it he describes how he leaves his corpereal body every night and floats about the universe. I would just suggest he's having some great dreams.

Dreams can be great fun though and can seem pretty real. I remember one where I went back in time to my younger self. When I woke up, for a second I thought I had actually been back in time.

But the most interesting one was where I realised it was a dream and I told a woman who happened to be there that she was in my dream and actually she didn't really exist. She threw it back in my face. 'What makes you think you're not in MY dream?'

I'm still not sure! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

OP... but how do you know then that your life is not the dream of the OP from the another universe?

Whooooaaah man...just whoa..MIND! BLOWN!

Advertisement