Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine aquarium supplies in Ireland

• 13-10-2007 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just a post for other people who are into marine aquariums, reefs, and fishkeeping. Great hobby. Just a pity that theres only really two places in the country so far that actually know what they are talking about. I find the prices here in Ireland, especially Dublin to be extortionate. The north is much cheaper, .....a hell of alot cheaper! I just got back from Whackers new store in Dublin, I spoke with the guy and asked him was the marine section big before I bother going out there, of course I was told it was pretty big, there were only approx 5-7 tanks, with little stock, small species, and I seen marine ich (parasite) on one of the fish which if it got into ur tank would cost you even more than what u paid for it to treat! The place had to be the most expensive marine supply place I have ever been to in my life, priced two things which were 40 euro each, when I priced the two up the north they were ST6.55 and ST8.20, a hell of alot cheaper! The other main store in Dublin although it does have great service and people that know what they are talking about is still Waaaay too expensive. After coming back from the UK and USA why is it so bloody expensive in this country! the same salt i bought in the USA was $12 here it was just over 40 euro. Food $8, here was 18 euro! I just dont see how its that different! It doesnt cost that much to ship stuff.....

take home message...shop up north and if that aint a possibility, shop online....its still a hell of alot cheaper even with shipping! Theres no excuse for the prices we pay in this hobby!

Any thoughts on this post good or bad would be appreciated! Im just putting this post on here for peoples advice! I feel the cost of things here in Ireland for this hobby would sadly push alot of people away from such a great hobby!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 npc_100

Have to agree, only in the hobby a short while (freshwater not marine), and am amazed at price difference. I expect there to be a decent difference between prices in Ireland and elsewhere (something everyone is living with), but didn't expect such differences between the shops in Dublin, my local is PetStop in blanch, which I tought was expensive when I first went in, then visited the new whackers 'superstore' and realise that petstop was a bargin for equipment in comparision, whackers prices were unbelievable, some of the tank packages were ~50% bigger then elsewhere.

Buying everything online now........

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Just a post for other people who are into marine aquariums, reefs, and fishkeeping. Great hobby. Just a pity that theres only really two places in the country so far that actually know what they are talking about. I find the prices here in Ireland, especially Dublin to be extortionate. The north is much cheaper, .....a hell of alot cheaper! I just got back from Whackers new store in Dublin, I spoke with the guy and asked him was the marine section big before I bother going out there, of course I was told it was pretty big, there were only approx 5-7 tanks, with little stock, small species, and I seen marine ich (parasite) on one of the fish which if it got into ur tank would cost you even more than what u paid for it to treat! The place had to be the most expensive marine supply place I have ever been to in my life, priced two things which were 40 euro each, when I priced the two up the north they were ST6.55 and ST8.20, a hell of alot cheaper! The other main store in Dublin although it does have great service and people that know what they are talking about is still Waaaay too expensive. After coming back from the UK and USA why is it so bloody expensive in this country! the same salt i bought in the USA was $12 here it was just over 40 euro. Food $8, here was 18 euro! I just dont see how its that different! It doesnt cost that much to ship stuff.....

take home message...shop up north and if that aint a possibility, shop online....its still a hell of alot cheaper even with shipping! Theres no excuse for the prices we pay in this hobby!

Any thoughts on this post good or bad would be appreciated! Im just putting this post on here for peoples advice! I feel the cost of things here in Ireland for this hobby would sadly push alot of people away from such a great hobby!
    hi just wondering were in the north are you shopping is it worth a drive up if your getting alot of equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Also wondering what sites you use online?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

have to agree wit you there mate on a lot of what you said. I find Whackers very expensive and they are taking people for fools, more so on food, equipment and accerories. For eg the Jewel carbon filter and 4 poly pads are a fiver but everywhere else they are 3.50 or less. Coral rocks are a tenner upwards no matter what the weight or size. In Dun laoghaire they are 3euro a kilo (or something like that) I soon learned to shop elsewhere for that kinda stuff. for fish though found prices much the same for Cichlids. Over the course of a few months i got to know the lads in Whackers and got good deals on the fish only. It´s harder to get a deal outta the lads at the counter. this is in Whackers on Parnell St.

For other stuff i go to the pet shop on camden st., or in dun Laoghaire. The dun laoghaire shop has a good selection of fish too and there´s pet shop near Kinsealy with a good selection too.

I haggle a lot no matter where i go and i always get a few quid off what i am buying. Dont be afraid to haggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Rippleman

There is no doubt that aquatic supplies in Dublin (I do not know about the rest of the country) are way overpriced:mad:

There is a filter medium I use regularly (PolyBio Marine Poly Filter) which averages €22 here but if I order from the US (ordering 10 at a time) they work out at €5.50 each including postage!!! That is a saving of a whopping 75%

I know the only way to keep LFS's in business is to support them but with a price difference like that there is no way I could justify giving them my hard earned cash. I tend to buy ONLY fish and order everything over the net:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

Here's two shops I know of supply marine fish/equipment and
    have a good range.One's in Belfast,the others in Lisburn.

Grosvenor Tropicals
    Lisburn, BT27 5EA
    Tel: 028 9263 4333
    http://www.grosvenor-tropicals.co.uk

Exotic aquatics.
    Prince Regent Trade Centre, Prince Regent Rd, Belfast, County Antrim BT5 6QR
    http://www.exoticaquatics.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

cheers sci

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

Rippleman wrote: »
    There is no doubt that aquatic supplies in Dublin (I do not know about the rest of the country) are way overpriced:mad:

There is a filter medium I use regularly (PolyBio Marine Poly Filter) which averages €22 here but if I order from the US (ordering 10 at a time) they work out at €5.50 each including postage!!! That is a saving of a whopping 75%

I know the only way to keep LFS's in business is to support them but with a price difference like that there is no way I could justify giving them my hard earned cash. I tend to buy ONLY fish and order everything over the net:confused:

Nice one mate! gonna start doing that myself! Happy fishin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 M.C.

Would like to see more links to good online shops with lots of stuff! Looking for marine spetiality shops! Any links would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭WHU

Hi, are there any dealers in the Cork/Limerick areas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

You're dead right, it's robbery to get involved with Marine, I got an Orca 450 last year and must have spent 8-900 quid on it including what I paid for it. Just want to get rid of it now as the costs of keeping it are too much. Aquatic village is where I got my stuff but there prices for anything are fairly steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Lads for Marine Supplies go to Aquarium Solutions in Ashbourne, Andy the owner is a top bloke and the shop is mainly dedicated to Marine fish/Inverts/Corals etc.

Kinsealy Pet Store also have a very nice Marine Section too.

Also, get on to www.irishfishforum.com, this is the site of the Leinster Fishkeeping Society.

Join the club (not just joining the forum) will get you a 10% discount off anything in these shops whenever you shop there.

Its a lively forum, always good banter and lots of good advice to be had.

Take it easy,

Peter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Lads for Marine Supplies go to Aquarium Solutions in Ashbourne, Andy the owner is a top bloke and the shop is mainly dedicated to Marine fish/Inverts/Corals etc.
    +1... Wouldn't even buy a grain of salt anywhere else! Show Andy a small bit of loyalty and he'll always knock off a fiver here and a tenner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Andy is a top bloke and knows his stuff.
    As Fishy Freak says, why not join the Leinster Fish keeping Society. It has the most Marine fish keepers out of all the clubs in Ireland.
    But it is also has plenty of fresh water fish keepers there too.

Visit our forum..
    www.irishfishforum.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

You would be better with those 2 places up north,with the price of pound
    against the euro things are now dirt cheap up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭hill16dub

i made the journey up to both Lisburn and Belfast. Both are reasonably good, but the price difference between up there and dublin was astonishing. I was quoted half the price up there for a large marine aquarium. I had received 3 different quotes from Dublin shops.
    The bigger the aquarium the more you save.

On the flip side I found the shop in Dun laoighaire excellent, they had great knowledge and showed a lot of interest. Expensive though!

I found a few of the shops on the northside embarrassing unhelpful, one was too lazy even to quote me, ( was willing to spend over 3k !!!). Place was empty at the time. Unreal.

Have never been to the shop in wicklow although was recomended by a friend.

If you want to buy consumables, water etc. you need the local shops but if you are willing to travel up north you will save a packet on the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 paulbohs

I buy all my stuff locally and I believe the service is worth it. There are about 4 great marine shops where the stock is healthy and I would hate to not have the back up and support my my LFS in an emergency or if he had to close down due to everyone buying online or up north.

Who do you ask when you have a problem? Thats priceless advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭hill16dub

i found two with great service the other two i didn't to be honest. Those two need some customer service training.

i found them all to be over-priced

using the 'what if they wern't there is a bit lame, as long as there is demand there will be marine shops. Hopefully people will vote with their feet so that people who love marine or tropical as a hobby are not ripped off down here. One hour up the road will get you to the lisburn, you could do that on the M50.

If prices are reasonable with the north people will shop locally, at the moment the difference is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gerron

Also wondering what sites you use online?

Cheers

rocket aquactics is a rely gud site :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jaws

On the subject of Marines and Tropical fish being expensive Aquatic Village Brittas Co Dublin 01 4582522 sells these fish at half price!They are one of the best in the business and always have been and their fish are quality!Clown fish 10e......Regal Tangs 30e...liverock starts at 10e per kilo.....tetras 1.50e....plecs 3e...u would be mad to buy anywhere else!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jaws

On the subject of Marines and Tropical fish being expensive Aquatic Village Brittas Co Dublin 01 4582522 sells these fish at half price!They are one of the best in the business and always have been and their fish are quality!Clown fish 10e......Regal Tangs 30e...liverock starts at 10e per kilo.....tetras 1.50e....plecs 3e...u would be mad to buy anywhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭mcdoogle

Personally I wouldn't be so keen on the place in Brittas, was out there a few weeks ago and the dude was walking round treating most of his tropical tanks for white spot and still offering to sell me some of the contents.

Reasonable selection but wasn't too impressed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

mcdoogle wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't be so keen on the place in Brittas, was out there a few weeks ago and the dude was walking round treating most of his tropical tanks for white spot and still offering to sell me some of the contents.

Reasonable selection but wasn't too impressed with that.

I would agree, he used to be great but his shop has gone downhill in the passed year or so.

Just a little tip for those of you who feed seaweed strips to Tangs and other marine fish the strips are usually about €10 in marine shops but if you go to Tescos they sell seaweed strips for sushi for €1.67, that's what we buy and the fish love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gerron

if ur close to ballymount seahorse aquariums is very good shop. check it out on line at www.seahorseaquariums.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bubbalaaaays

Funnily enough I used to be terrified of fish, but a trip to the barrier reef a few years ago totally converted me :) Unfortunately I'm limited to a goldfish in a bowl at the moment so visiting the big aquariums is as good as it gets for me.XD A friend of mine made this video in the one in Dingle a while ago, I think it's great :) If you're into that kind of thing you might like it :) Not spam I promise, just a lovely aquarium clip!

http://www.vimeo.com/18261268

Advertisement