Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portrait of a Zombie (Trailer post #16)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Some pretty cool stills from the Irish made zombie film Portrait of a Zombie have been released. The film is due for release next year. The teaser trailer goes live in 5 days time at portraitofazombie.com
    The makeup effects look pretty slick.

14332_104624796221056_100000206084362_120740_4512327_n.jpg
    14332_104624829554386_100000206084362_120744_6914562_n.jpg
    14332_104627746220761_100000206084362_120804_3959923_n.jpg
    14332_104627786220757_100000206084362_120809_4233991_n.jpg
    14332_104631069553762_100000206084362_120885_5141578_n.jpg

Sure would be nice to get a really decent horror film come out of Ireland for a change.. Here's hoping this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cattleforker

looks great. look forward to seeing it. Any release date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kevin McGahern

looks great. fair play to the make up girls. that **** was off the hook lad

More stills; Guns n' gore, horay!

14332_104631046220431_100000206084362_120882_8128129_n.jpg
    14332_104627762887426_100000206084362_120806_3606239_n.jpg
    14332_104624896221046_100000206084362_120752_2707510_n.jpg
    14332_104624812887721_100000206084362_120742_6244566_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

looks good, very good,
    where was it shot. the last still with the AK looks familiar

• Advertisement

allanb49 wrote: »
    looks good, very good,
    where was it shot. the last still with the AK looks familiar

Most of it was shot in Finglas (includingthat pic). There were also scenes shot in Ballymun and the city centre.

wow i was way off i thought it looked like columbanus near the windy arbour luas. ooops, is it a straight up horror, or is it light hearted, dark humour, etc will it be shown in the IFI or general release,

It's a horror/comedy, with the emphasis on very dark humour. It has docu/mockumentary stylings too.
    I'm not sure about the release, but I'm guessing limited release. I'd be mazd ifthe IFI didn't pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Medea616

awesome looks freaking cool! You should inform bloody-disgusting.com the number 1 horror website in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pipqueak

Stills look really impressive. I think I read about this is the Herald a few weeks back.

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention there is a Facebook page where you can get updates etc. (act fast though, as friend space is limited!):
    http://www.facebook.com/#/PortraitOfAZombie?ref=ts

And a more general fan page (doesn't have as much content yet, but will soon):
    http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Portrait-Of-A-Zombie/133574205681?ref=ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kar Lau

yea looks cooler than described to me. A friend of mine asked me to be a zombie in this flick as a favour to her bro as he's making the film but I was in Rome, bad timing, woulda been cool to be a zombie!

Nice to see some of the online bloggers have begun supporting the film.

Trailer is up tomorro, I'm so excited! :D

Almost forgot, there is a little behind the scenes sneak peek up on the Facebook pae. It involves guns and screaming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am surprised you didn't post about this in the horror forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=270

Good call Thaed. I forgot there was a Horror Forum :o

News just in:
    Facebook fans get to see the trailer before everyone else! It's up now:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?comments&v=104885732861629

Mainstream media coverage woo!!!!

http://www.iftn.ie/?act1=record&aid=73&rid=4282740&tpl=archnewshome&only=1&force=1
    IFTN wrote:
    Production has recently wrapped on the set of feature film ‘Portrait of a Zombie’ from Irish born director, Bing Bailey. The low budget black comedy/horror film explores the story of a working class Irish family who become caught up in a zombie invasion of Dublin.

When son, Billy, becomes a zombie the family chooses to take care of him in the home much to the chagrin of the neighbors and the local crime boss. Meanwhile, they invite an American documentarian to film their situation and the film crew become involved in the mayhem.

’Portrait of a Zombie’ is produced by Laura Morand Bailey and Bing Bailey for Organ Hill Films. The film was shot on Red Digital 4K by Clayton Haskell (executive producer, Chinatown) and will now be edited in the U.S. The film’s cast includes Patrick Murphy, Todd Fletcher (Yard of Blondes), Diane Jennings (Dublin: A Movie in Four Days), Geraldine McAlinden (The Guards), Rory Mullen (Hunger), Gerry Shanahan (Omagh), Paul O'Bryan, Sonya O'Donoghue, Sara White, Ciaran Davies (The Haunting of Hell House) and Stephen Neeson.

Cast and crew involved in the project filmed mainly on Mellowes Avenue in Finlgas but used other various Dublin locations such as Smithfiled, College Green and the Glasnevin Cemetery.

Producer Laura Mornad Bailey tells IFTN: “The goal of the film is to reflect modern Ireland in the horror genre and to celebrate the strength and humor of the Irish in the face of adversity.”

It is expected that ‘Portrait of a Zombie’ will be released next year. A teaser trailer will be released on December 1st at www.portraitofazombie.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Looks really good :D
    Can't wait to see it. Any idea of a release date yet?

The release has yet to be confirmed. However, the scale of release may depend on fan reaction. So if you want to see it get a widespread cinema release ya'all better get viral!
    Speaking of which, here's the Youtube channel (subscribe to get first dibs on trailers, featurettes etc.):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmFr-JQEZVY&fmt=22

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Pretty slick trailer! lookin forward to this!

looks good cant wait for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

IFTN wrote: »
    The film’s cast includes ... Rory Mullen (Hunger)

Having a zombie film as a follow up is inspired!

I liked the teaser except for the girl saying "A woman has died". Seemed to lack conviction.

Good news everyone. The teaser trailer will be playing before the main feature at the underground cinema Dec 17th in Dun Laoghaire. So if anybody wants to pop along and see it on a big screen (not to mention the actual films) now's your chance.

More info @ http://www.underground-cinema.com

I'll be heading on in (pending work times of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Galvasean wrote: »
    Good call Thaed. I forgot there was a Horror Forum :o

News just in:
    Facebook fans get to see the trailer before everyone else! It's up now:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?comments&v=104885732861629

There is a horror forum on Boards?

Cool did not know that.

Very nice write up about the trailer on Slash Film:
    Not since Once have I been so interested in the filmic output of a land that spawned my ancestors and I have to say, without question, the premise is fascinating: a kid (Billy) becomes a zombie, his parents elect to take care of the kid at home, a documentary film crew (of course) wants to tape the family, and then we watch the havoc unfold.

The trailer opens very strangely: a group of people take to the streets to protest something. It’s in slow motion, there’s no voice over, and we’re left wondering what it is they’re protesting against. We have some person getting swarmed by a pack of zombies, a woman lets us know the whole country is “****e,” a guy gets his hand cut off with a meat cleaver, and then we meet Billy. Treated more like a rabid dog than human I am impressed with the idea of where this is going.

Slow-mo shots of zombies running around, of people evading certain death, and then a mom trying to console a thrashing Billy who is bound up in a straight jacket and muzzle all the while with a minimalist touch. This feels intimate, claustrophobic.

The final seconds of this trailer are an especially nice touch considering what we’re dealing with: a first time director/writer, Bing Bailey, who obviously doesn’t have Hollywood funds but is trying to make it look like it. The execution is grand and really taps into that sense of terror that so many other, highly polished zombie films can’t match.

More here.

Bit more about the story has surfaced on getthebigpicture.net
    "I'm very glad you picked up on the fact the film isn't the usual we're trapped in a barn and zombies are trying to get us fare. The teaser is really a mood piece. There is quite a bit of satire and dark humour in the film and it really is about the family having to cope with what's happened to their son who had hopes and dreams for his life before he turned. They want to pretend everything is ok and love him and treat him the same way just like they always have but it proves very difficult for them and they make lots of sacrifices for their decisions."

"On the crew's side it's about how long can you observe something before you have to become involved. I'm a huge fan of zombie movies that entertain but provide social commentary."

"Many zombie films deal with outbreaks and the immediacy of dealing with survival. This film goes further and asks what would a parent do if something really awful happened to their son or daughter. How far would they go to try and make it all look normal? What we can do as independent filmmakers that the studios can't is push boundaries. I believe with this film we have."

Full story here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pipqueak

That is great that all these websites seem to be picking up on it. It sure seems like it's going to be alot better than Boy Eats Girl anyway...looking forward to seeing it

any word on a release yet?

allanb49 wrote: »
    any word on a release yet?

Not sure about release yet. I'm hearing Autumn/Winter but nothing concrete yet.

In the mean time I found a good interview with the director which rveals abit more about the film's style/themes.

Finally get to see this tonight. Can't bloody wait!

• Advertisement

awaits review :D

Advertisement