Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Castres (H)
    Glasgow (A)
    N Saints (A)
    N Saints (H)
    Glasgow (H)
    Castres (A)

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/ulster_rugby.php?section=1

Good draw IMO to avoid Castres away until Round 6, Castres will lose interest if they lose the first few rounds. Plus they've lost a few key players in the off season.

Saints double header will be tough, but Saints are not the side they were and a losing BP away will probably do.

Glasgow... meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Glasgow will be pretty damn feisty in fir hill.

Leinster found it very hard to win there last year.

durkadurka wrote: »

Glasgow will have Gregor Townsend as their coach next season, who did a laughable job as attack coach for Scotland. I can't believe the SRU moved on Sean Lineen, he did a great job with the squad he had. Plus Glasgow have lost Richie Gray to Sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

durkadurka wrote: »

Glasgow have moved to Scotstown or something, possibly a converted athletics stadium? But aye they are tough at home

Nice game to start, Friday night at Ravenhill against a good side, get the momentum going nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Glasgow will have Gregor Townsend as their coach next season, who did a laughable job as attack coach for Scotland. I can't believe the SRU moved on Sean Lineen, he did a great job with the squad he had. Plus Glasgow have lost Richie Gray to Sale.

Glasgow have made a few useful signings including a decent Fijian scrum half so no pushover especially on their home patch - now Scotstoun not Firhill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Anyone remember when tickets go on sale for the European games? Heading to the away Northampton fixture. Am I able to buy away tickets from Ravenhill does anyone remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

AzJPiaXCYAABYOV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

AzJPiaXCYAABYOV.jpg

Is that terracing in the background new?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭launish116

AzJPiaXCYAABYOV.jpg

very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Quint2010 wrote: »
    AzJPiaXCYAABYOV.jpg

Is that terracing in the background new?

Liverpool fc due to play crusaders at ravenhill soon. Might be temporary for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"Due to his recent thumb operation and the Irish player management programme kicking in, Ferris expects to be available to new coach Mark Anscombe for the third round of PRO12 League games when Ulster host Munster – a side who also have a new Kiwi coach in Rob Penney – at home on September 14th.

The interprovincial clash is also expected to see the first outing for Best (currently recovering from a groin problem) and Ireland tourists Chris Henry and Dan Tuohy, while it is thought that Bowe (fully recovered from surgery on a kidney problem) will be available for selection for Ulster’s opening League game away to Glasgow Warriors on August 31st."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0801/1224321235435.html

Looks like the Munster game will be an interesting one. Hopefully Munster will have some of their Internationals coming back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭backawaygo onahead

Still concerned about what back row Ulster will be able to field in early games, Roger Wilson last I heard was touch & go in his recovery with worst case a prolonged absence - anyone got recent info? No Ferris no Henry nor Big Dan as a possible 6, then I hear that Fat Nick is having visa problems & who can we field?

Worrying. Robbie Diack, Ali Birch & maybe young Henderson at 6 - then no bench!!!!

Small p? Any injury updates, no Pienaar, no Porter any more, and a young ginger at 10.

Season could be off to a very shaky start with 3 of the top 4 from last season on the trot.

Any good news anyone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

5'7" and an out half?

:confused:

I guess we'll see him in 2 years, best of luck till then lad!

It's good to see the provinces scouting for IQ youngsters based abroad.

emmet02 wrote: »
    I guess we'll see him in 2 years, best of luck till then lad!
    2 years? If he is any good we will see him in March when he goes for Ireland U20 in the 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

2 years? If he is any good we will see him in March when he goes for Ireland U20 in the 6 nations

Though a massive fan of the U20s, I don't see it as a ready made comparison for the Pro12.

Especially certain positions...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Who is likely to be the Irish U20 10 next season?

At the moment I guess Stuart Olding has a decent chance but I'm only saying that because he was in the squad this year and even then played 13 and 15. Who is coming out of the U19s and U18s who could be a contender next season? Maybe this guy Ulster have signed will be a contender for the 20s come March.

bilston wrote: »

At the moment I guess Stuart Olding has a decent chance but I'm only saying that because he was in the squad this year and even then played 13 and 15. Who is coming out of the U19s and U18s who could be a contender next season? I'd say this guy Niall Martin will have a decent shout of getting into the U20s if he turns out half decent.
    Marsh Jackson and Hanrahan played 10 this year and all are over age as is Jack Carthy who is the Connacht academy's 10

I think Niall Martin and Stuart Olding might actually be the only U20 outhalves in an academy at for next season.

Marsh Jackson and Hanrahan played 10 this year and all are over age as is Jack Carthy who is the Connacht academy's 10

I think Niall Martin and Stuart Olding might actually be the only U20 outhalves in an academy at for next season.

From reading the Irishrugby website there the U19 out half this season seems to have a guy called Steve Crosbie and the U18 10 was a fella called Conor McKeon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd say either Stuart Olding or Steve Crosbie. Olding's a good 10, think he's made an appearance for Ulster there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

At the moment I guess Stuart Olding has a decent chance but I'm only saying that because he was in the squad this year and even then played 13 and 15. Who is coming out of the U19s and U18s who could be a contender next season? Maybe this guy Ulster have signed will be a contender for the 20s come March.
    think 1 of the munster 20s: kiersey, sweetnam or scannell will be irish 20s. Depends on which player actually gets the start at 10 in interpros.
    From reading the Irishrugby website there the U19 out half this season seems to have a guy called Steve Crosbie and the U18 schools 10 was a fella called Conor McKeon.
    the u18 youths 10 fergal cleary is also a very good outhalf who may be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

From reading the Irishrugby website there the U19 out half this season seems to have a guy called Steve Crosbie and the U18 10 was a fella called Conor McKeon.

Crosbie played 10 for Old belvo towards the end of last season as they pulled off their great escape from AIL 1A relegation, think he was Irish schools 10 playing with St Gerards.

Is Cathal Marsh not underage again next season? he was same year in school as Luke McGrath

bamboozle wrote: »
    Crosbie played 10 for Old belvo towards the end of last season as they pulled off their great escape from AIL 1A relegation, think he was Irish schools 10 playing with St Gerards.

Is Cathal Marsh not underage again next season? he was same year in school as Luke McGrath
    He will be 21 in January. That means he will be overage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Crosbie is a very skilled outhalf. He played on the Gerard's side with Jack Conan that had a big cup run there a couple of years ago. Lovely distributor and runner. He's the sort of outhalf that doesn't tend to get a lot of game time at this level though I find. Madigan, for example, got 2 years at the JWC. He spent one on the bench and the other at 15 with irregular appearances at 10 in the 6N. Even Hanrahan was always at centre to allow Jackson or McKinney to control proceedings from 10.

emmet02 wrote: »
    Though a massive fan of the U20s, I don't see it as a ready made comparison for the Pro12.

Especially certain positions...

Agreed. The Pro12 is way above the U20 side's level. This year we saw our best ever performance by an U20 side. Their match day 22 contained a number of players that were unable to secure contracts with a province and another several players will more than likely be released upon completion of their contract. A lower level side like the Dragons would pummel the U20 side. I've always maintained that if 5 players on an U20 side can make it as first choice players in a province, that's a fantastic return.The 2007 side has provided about 6 and was a superb side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭jm08

GerM wrote: »
    Even Hanrahan was always at centre to allow Jackson or McKinney to control proceedings from 10.

Could also be to get all your best players on the pitch (and give a wide number of players experience at that level). When there isn't much preparation time, they also seem to go for provincial partnerships (like starting L. McGrath & C. Marshl together). Pity Marsh got injured for the world cup.

First game of the Anscombe era tomorrow era against Bayonne.

Apparently it will be rolling subs and Anscombe has said it's more of a fitness builder than anything else nevertheless it will be interesting to hear how it goes.

According to a reliable poster on UAFC the starting backline is:

9 McIlroy
    10 Jackson
    11 Cochrane
    12 Farrell
    13 Payne
    14 Gilroy
    15 Nelson

Payne excelled at 13 for Auckland and the Blues, I think Anscombe coached him at Auckland too, I wonder of we'll see a lot of Payne at 13 this season. That would leave us light at FB and would be bad news for Cave. Still I wouldn't read much into this selection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Who's McIlroy?

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Who's McIlroy?

Blane McIlroy. Was scrum half last year on the U20 side. Nothing special but hopefully has come on a bit since then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement