Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does payment stay in post office?

• 11-04-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Was due to collect last wednesday but couldn't because I had interviews wednesday and thursday. Tried to go to the PO yesterday because it was Good Friday, and it will be closed monday too. Anyone know how many "working days" they hold onto the payment for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

The payment is only available on the wednesday, thursday, friday and saturday of the week it comes in. Chances are you'll have to call into the SW office on tuesday and explain the problem and they'll get you the payment back in a week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Nuts, it didn't even occur to me that the post office might be open today. Thanks for the tip anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

So it stays in the Post Office for 4 working days then?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

I just want to double check that its not a problem to collect the dole on friday rather than wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Do you get back payment on allowance, for the weeks between your initial claim and its being awarded later on? If yes, then please read on......

Apparently, the Post Office are the only financial institution the Dept of Soc/Fam Affairs are using for the paying of Jobseekers Allowance- being that this is the case, {the girl in the office said it was so} then how do the Post Office deal with this? Does one just walk in and collect such a large wad from the Post Office??

Finally, is it possible to get the Post Office to transfer my funds onto my bank account, or does one have to collect it in person, every Thursday, with the entire village looking on???:eek::pac:

Cheers!

• Advertisement

bg07 wrote: »
    I just want to double check that its not a problem to collect the dole on friday rather than wednesday.
    AFAIK they keep it for up to 3 or 4 working days so Friday should be fine.
    IT Loser wrote: »
    Do you get back payment on allowance, for the weeks between your initial claim and its being awarded later on? If yes, then please read on......
    Yes, you should do so.
    Apparently, the Post Office are the only financial institution the Dept of Soc/Fam Affairs are using for the paying of Jobseekers Allowance- being that this is the case, {the girl in the office said it was so} then how do the Post Office deal with this? Does one just walk in and collect such a large wad from the Post Office??
    The SW office will inform you when your claim has been approved, and yes, then you go to the post office with your swipe card and collect your payment, including any back pay owed.
    Finally, is it possible to get the Post Office to transfer my funds onto my bank account, or does one have to collect it in person, every Thursday, with the entire village looking on???:eek::pac:

No, you must go and collect the cash in person. In the past there was the option for your payment to be lodged directly to your bank account but you must now collect from the post office - this is in order to prevent fraud, which is fair enough I think.

Thanks for that cornBB

The only problem with the "swipe" on my card {PPS Card I assume} is that its worn to bits. The card is around 8 years old.

Can they enter the transaction manually, or should I get on the blower and ask for a new card?

Thanks again for your time.

No idea I'm afraid. My card is probably 10 years old but the magnetic bit still works. Maybe they can enter your number manually too. Maybe give them a ring to be on the safe side.

cornbb wrote: »
    No idea I'm afraid. My card is probably 10 years old but the magnetic bit still works. Maybe they can enter your number manually too. Maybe give them a ring to be on the safe side.

Cheers. Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Thanks for that cornBB

The only problem with the "swipe" on my card {PPS Card I assume} is that its worn to bits. The card is around 8 years old.

Can they enter the transaction manually, or should I get on the blower and ask for a new card?

Yes, they can.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that cornBB

Yes, they can.

Thanks. I think I might request a new card all the same, just for ease and comfort of other people in the queue. In-Out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you bank with AIB, you can go the counter, claim you payment and then deposit it to the AIB account straight away: the village will see you go to the office, but won't see you leave with any cash, so may be confused.

JustMary wrote: »
    If you bank with AIB, you can go the counter, claim you payment and then deposit it to the AIB account straight away: the village will see you go to the office, but won't see you leave with any cash, so may be confused.

Ahhha! You're a riot!!!

The local yokels will be telling tales of me making the money move.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

Does anyone know if I'll be able to collect my payment on a Monday if it normally comes into the Post Office on a Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭djeire84

Hi my social welfare payment is Tuesday in the post office will i still be able to collect it on friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

djeire84 wrote: »
    Hi my social welfare payment is Tuesday in the post office will i still be able to collect it on friday?

Yes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Zombie thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement