Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobilecover.ie phone insurance claim please help

• 03-04-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello. My Iphone was stolen, I had it insured with mobilecover.ie
    The first thing i did was that I cancelled it with three and I wanted it blacklisted. They could not have done it as I did not buy the phone from them. I bought it from Apple.ie I reported it to gardai. I sent everything they wanted and today my claim was rejected on grounds that it was not blacklisted. They know that mobile company like three, o2, meteor can not blacklist the phone if it is not bought from them. They sold me insurance, which was invalid from the very first day and I paid them months and months. Now I claim and they tell me they will not cover it. What can I do?? Can anyone help? Tomorrow i want to go to Irish Insurance Federation for advice, what else can I do? Is not ilegal from their side to sell insurance to people who do not buy phone from three, o2, meteor as those insurances are practically invalid from the very first day? Can anyone advice what to do or what to write to the appeal? Please help. :(

Mobilecover.ie insurance 2 votes

Did anybody had claim with mobilecover.ie?
    0%
    How to appeal the claim result from mobilecover.ie?
    100%
    dshakeygolddaniel13 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Could you try ringing Three and explain the case?

I can see where Three are coming from, you cant just ring up, call out a random IMEI number and get some one innocent blacklisted.

Its in all Phone Insurance company policies that the phone has to be blacklisted before the claim can be accepted. Have a talk with consumer rights maybe then? If they wont cover it, id be looking for my money back. They shouldn't insurance a phone if it does not fit certain criteria (i.e. the phone cant be blacklisted)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 golddaniel13

Could you try ringing Three and explain the case?

I can see where Three are coming from, you cant just ring up, call out a random IMEI number and get some one innocent blacklisted.

Its in all Phone Insurance company policies that the phone has to be blacklisted before the claim can be accepted. Have a talk with consumer rights maybe then? If they wont cover it, id be looking for my money back. They shouldn't insurance a phone if it does not fit certain criteria (i.e. the phone cant be blacklisted)

I get your point about Three. I contacted them straight away, they were able to tell me mine IMEI code from the phone calls I had made before. I wanted to bring them my invoice from Apple.ie so that they would see that it was my phone not just any IMEI. They refused. I phoned Mobilecover.ie at the same date as the theft occurred and asked them what to do. They knew exactly that Three can not block the phone if it was bought from Apple.ie They only asked me to call Three and get confirmation that phone can not be blacklisted and that Sim was blocked.

This way, they knew exactly that they insured me and that my claim would be rejected. In my opinion No insurance company can ask customer unreasonable request, which can not be done. In my case blocking the IMEI, even though I wanted to do it, but there is no way I could do it. Thats like selling me a car which I can never drive. I am waiting for official letter from them and then I will be going to Irish Insurance federation, and I will talk to National Consumer Agency and def. will put this with small claims court. I am sick of the insurance companies. You just pay and pay and never get anything in return when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 baz32

Having read your experience, I contacted mobilecover.ie and asked them about your situation. They said once you have asked the mobile operator to block the phone and sim you have carried out your side of the bargain and they would be happy with that. I'd ask to speak with one of the assessors personally and discuss it. You are clearly in the right on this one. If that doesnt work threaten legal action. Keep us posted. I would be very surprised if you didnt get a positive outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 baz32

Find mobilcover.ie's terms and conditions below. Your responsibility is "to contact the mobile phone operator and report the loss/theft" and "request written confirmation" that you have done this. It is upto the mobile network to do the rest.

If your device is LOST or STOLEN, please:
    REPORT the loss or theft to your Mobile Network Provider
    Report the loss or theft of any Mobile phone / Smartphone / iPhone / Galaxy S3 within 24 hours of discovery to your Mobile Network Provider to ensure your SIM card is suspended and your handset is blacklisted and request written confirmation from your Mobile Network that this has been carried out.
    REPORT the loss or theft to the Gardaí
    Report the loss or theft to the Gardaí within 24 hours of discovery.
    Complete and Return
    Complete and Return a Mobilecover claim form to us within 30 days of the incident, together with:

a) a copy of your Proof of Purchase for your device
    b) your Mobile Network confirmation of blacklisting
    c) your claim excess payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 golddaniel13

So as I bought mobile from Apple.ie and not from mobile network, three was unable to blacklist the phone for me. Thats fact. They will never block a phone which is not bought from them. They gave it to me on the paper. I posted that to mobilecover.ie and refused my claim. Then I appealed the decision on the grounds that mobilecover can not ask me to do something what is not possible for me to do. This is blacklisting of the phone. This way they would have sold me insurance which would never ever pay out thus invalid insurance. On my appeal they approved my claim and sent me new (refurbished) phone... As my original phone was unlocked, they sent me locked phone to three network... Anyway my experience with mobile insurance company is that I will never take out insurance again. I have paid them too much over the years and at the end its the excess. For that money I could have my own new mobile. Thank you for help people :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ella 38

Hi can anyone help me with some good tips how to make an appeal on a rejected claim with mobilecover.ie? I have lost my phone on Thursday and have ring my network provider to block my sim card as it was a bill pay phone. I didn't know where to find the IMEI no. of the phone and the operator told me is ok if I don't have it and if I find it to ring them back
    I finally found the IMEI no on the documents from the store where I bought the phone and made the insurance but had no phone to ring customer service back. the phone I rang them before was lended and have no access to it all the time.The interesting fact is that they have blocked my sim card and I went to the store to ask for another one but the seller didn;t bother to tell me I must blacklist my phone in 24 hours and advice me how to find the IMEI of it. He didn't even bother to unblock my sim card only to find out on Wednesday my sim is not valid. I sent the document to the insurance company after I reported my phone lost to the Garda station. I was told by mobile cover by email to send them, a report from my network that I have rang them to blacklist my phone and mobile. I contacted them again few days latter on Monday only to find out that my phone wasn't blacklisted as I didn't provide them the IMEI no.the mobile company blacklisted my phone on Monday only and my claim was rejected because of it. I feel so frustrated about all this matter. I am not an expert on Insurance claims actually this was the first claim of any kind I ever made.
    Can anyone advice me on this matter so I can appeal the mobilecover decision?11

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ella 38 wrote: »
    the seller didn;t bother to tell me I must blacklist my phone in 24 hours

The three sales rep? Why would he, its nothing to do with him?

Sounds like there are clear terms which you failed to meet, dont see any grounds for an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

" I bought it from Apple.ie" So its not Threes property... They cant and wont do anything in regards to the handset.. Was the policy taken out during another contract or just with this phone???

Advertisement