Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

german shepherd crying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Do you think it could be because when she was on the farm activity started at that time, so it is her "getting up time" and she is crying wondering where you are??
    Our guys are all programmed to be up at 630am and out for their walk and we did have one of our GSD's "knocking";) on the bedroom door at that time on weekends also. we had taught her the "into bed" so after a few times of just calling out to her to go "into bed" she would and from then on the only time she will disturb us is if she has an emergency:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't know tbh, from a quick google it appears german shepherds really just cry a lot...
    personally i'd be going out and telling her to stop in a firm tone of voice but i suppose you must have done that

edit: and bringing her to the vet just to double check everything is ok
    yep have done that, it might stop her if were lucky for mins and then she starts again only louder. she was in vets fri getting her vac and vet did full health check plus bloods. as far as he can see, while waiting for bloods to come back she is one of the healthiest dogs he has seen

What age is she?
    she is around 17 months old

ppink wrote: »
    Do you think it could be because when she was on the farm activity started at that time, so it is her "getting up time" and she is crying wondering where you are??
    Our guys are all programmed to be up at 630am and out for their walk and we did have one of our GSD's "knocking";) on the bedroom door at that time on weekends also. we had taught her the "into bed" so after a few times of just calling out to her to go "into bed" she would and from then on the only time she will disturb us is if she has an emergency:eek:

it could be, and i think it prob is but id of thought after a yr she would now have learnd. the thing is once were up, even though she dont get any attention till i thinks a decent time she is fine.

yea its funny. i am not sure our dog gives a hoot about no attention, all she wants is us all to be up and ready!
    Is Suzi high energy?

• Advertisement

yea its funny. i am not sure our dog gives a hoot about no attention, all she wants is us all to be up and ready!
    Is Suzi high energy?

thats the thing, no she aint. she loves her walks and as i already said we also work on her training every day to tire menatally out but if for some reason we cant get out or maybe not as much she is fine. thats what bothers me as during the day she is happy to just lie around by herself, with us or with the other dogs, what ever is on offer and she is totally fine. its not that when she gets up she needs us she dont. once she knows were up shes fine. at night depending on her mood she could be in with us different times. some nights she might look to go out at 8 other nights could be 11 but the outcomes the same, once shes out she fine, she will potter around or sleep what ever but at half 6 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

You need to break the cycle, she is in the habit of this behaviour, she knows it morning, she wants everyone up to begin the day. My lad wakes me up at half 7 every morning to go outside and have his breakfast.

With regard to the shed, is she able to go in and out as she pleases. I only say this because if you locked her in at night, she might not know its morning and once the cycle is broken you could go back to leaving her as she was.

I would be careful with this though, it all depends on the dog, she sounds like she may have confidence issues and thus it could make her panic and cause her more harm than good.

id of thought after a yr she would now have learnd.

she is probably thinking the same about you:p
    meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    You need to break the cycle, she is in the habit of this behaviour, she knows it morning, she wants everyone up to begin the day.

I was thinking this too. It is a diffficult one! I am sure you tried hard already to have her in at night.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    You need to break the cycle, she is in the habit of this behaviour, she knows it morning, she wants everyone up to begin the day. My lad wakes me up at half 7 every morning to go outside and have his breakfast.

With regard to the shed, is she able to go in and out as she pleases. I only say this because if you locked her in at night, she might not know its morning and once the cycle is broken you could go back to leaving her as she was.

I would be careful with this though, it all depends on the dog, she sounds like she may have confidence issues and thus it could make her panic and cause her more harm than good.

totally agree with you. the only thing about locking the shed door is as ive already said she is not happy been shut in anywhere, even in the house after awhile, she gets all paniky and needs to get out. id imagine if i did this it woulkd do more damage than good. i only got her at around 5-6 months so i dont know why she hates been in but as i said she is getting better. as well even in winter when still is pitch black she still starts.

I was thinking this too. It is a diffficult one! I am sure you tried hard already to have her in at night.[/QUOTE]
    you couldnt imagine how hard we have tried to get her used to been in, i hate dogs been outside, i swore id never have a out door dog as i believe they shouldnt be left outside but whatever happened to suzie she freaks after AWHILE WHEN SHE HAS BEEN IN. AT THE MOMENT WE HAVE her A BIT MORE SETTLED IN THE KITCHEN BUT SHE WONT COME INTO THE SITING ROOM AT All. sorry didnt know i had the capitals on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hmmm.
    Can you supertreat her back into the crate at 0630?
    Or if it's a conditioning thing could yiunmove the crate somewhere to where there is no natural " daybreak" ; or put a blackout curtain over her crate so she won't be woken ip by the light?
    Might be worth a try.
    Of course it could be the feckin birds waking her up but you never know!?

Hmmm.
    Can you supertreat her back into the crate at 0630?
    Or if it's a conditioning thing could yiunmove the crate somewhere to where there is no natural " daybreak" ; or put a blackout curtain over her crate so she won't be woken ip by the light?
    Might be worth a try.
    Of course it could be the feckin birds waking her up but you never know!?

thats the thing as ive already posted, she sleeps outside, until few weeks ago it was still pitch black and no birds singing but shed still be awake. asd i cant get her to sleep inside id say my chances of crate training her would be nil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

She seems to have confidence issues, from what you say anyway. I would maybe get some advice from a good animal behaviourist and skip the trainers. Roaring at her is only going to make her more nervous and ignoring hasn't helped. Is there plugs in the shed, perhaps you could put a radio in there and just it on for company, or maybe even get a timer socket and have it come on just around the time she starts to cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Progress from that to picking her up by the scuff and shaking her hard.

Ronnie Beck, I'd ask you not to advocate what would be considered cruelty or violence, this is against our forum charter so consider this a warning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

totally agree with you. the only thing about locking the shed door is as ive already said she is not happy been shut in anywhere, even in the house after awhile, she gets all paniky and needs to get out. id imagine if i did this it woulkd do more damage than good. i only got her at around 5-6 months so i dont know why she hates been in but as i said she is getting better. as well even in winter when still is pitch black she still starts.

My lab was like this and we were never able to cure him of it, there was always someone outside with him from 6am till 11pm and I suppose eventually he just learned a routine. He did bark a lot in the beginning in the early morning and late at night but if closed in somewhere he just destroyed the place and did it completely silently. I'm afraid it's 15 years since all of this and my memory is pretty hazy of it all. I think we just persevered and put up with it and he gradually calmed down as he got older. Our nearest neighbour was miles away at that stage so it was never really a problem in that regard. I think the worrying and barking just eventually got less as he got older and thankfully stopped long before we had closer neighbours. No idea how we could have worked this out if we had people close enough to complain about it! I would say maybe get up before she starts and see if you can gradually move the time forward. At the minute she tells you to get up and you do, so she'll keep doing it!

My lab was like this and we were never able to cure him of it, there was always someone outside with him from 6am till 11pm and I suppose eventually he just learned a routine. He did bark a lot in the beginning in the early morning and late at night but if closed in somewhere he just destroyed the place and did it completely silently. I'm afraid it's 15 years since all of this and my memory is pretty hazy of it all. I think we just persevered and put up with it and he gradually calmed down as he got older. Our nearest neighbour was miles away at that stage so it was never really a problem in that regard. I think the worrying and barking just eventually got less as he got older and thankfully stopped long before we had closer neighbours. No idea how we could have worked this out if we had people close enough to complain about it! I would say maybe get up before she starts and see if you can gradually move the time forward. At the minute she tells you to get up and you do, so she'll keep doing it!

see thats the thing untill we moved 4 weeks ago we could let her carry on till we had to get up at half 7, monday -fri. so for a yr give or take she was basically ignored. now that we have moved i have no choice but to get up when she starts as, while not a estate but a row of houses plus another behind i have no choice. at this stage not only am i absolutely knackered, but i have the neighbours starting, which by the way i totally agree with them. if it was my neighbours dog i would be the same. unless i can solve this i really dont see what im going to do. all ready this morning ive neighbours complaining. as soon as she starts im getting up just to quieten her. im really at my wits end. i now regret moving but id had no choice, my parents are elderly and sick so was spending most of my time here anyways

Is there any way you could get a behaviour person to work on the indoor/outdoor problem with the dog? if you had her indoors then you would have bit more control over it?

Is there any way you could get a behaviour person to work on the indoor/outdoor problem with the dog? if you had her indoors then you would have bit more control over it?
    at this moment i would try anything. like ive said before i have tried 2 both conflicting advice so now im weary of who to get in touch with. if anyone has any suggestions please post. im in the offaly/laoise area

i am at a all time low with suzie. nothing is working in fact its getting worst. got some really great advise on boards esp from DBB which i tried and no change. as the mornings are getting brighter she is starting earlier. all i would like is to be able to sleep till 7.30 mon-fri and would be lovely at weekends to have a lie on even till 9 or so. the way i look at it my oldest is 30 my youngest is 12 ive had enough yrs of sleepless nights early morning and at my age now i think i deserve to have a lie on every now and then. i am so tired now its effecting my life. im so tired im in bed at 9 and napping during the day. im so tired im cranky and this morning when i got up i was that tired i cut my hand with the bread knife and now have 6 stitches in my hand.
    all other times, yes she can be a little whingy but she is a beautiful dog but i cant cope anymore. im so tired i feel like getting a break from her and putting her in kennels for a few days but i dont want to do this as it seems i would be giving in with her, also hubby just lost job and with new house etc i cant afford to.
    sorry for ranting but needed to get of my chest. might make me feel a bit better

Oh no thats awful:(. What have you tried? the only thing I could think of was to bring her in but I understand it is not that easy with her.

I am not much help but I do feel for you. you do have a lot of stress right now and I would not feel too bad if you do decide to give yourself a couple of nights break by putting her in kennels. I would not looking at it as giving in either but a chance for you so get your strength and hopefully sort it all out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

What sort of training i.e methods have the various trainers advised. Have they experience in dealing with GSD's. How many months obedience training was undertaken with this dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well she came from a farm and there is always things going on, animals to see, follow the farmer around and to investigate everything.
    I know our dog used to sleep up in the farmyard sheds when there was activity like lambing season.

Your dog has nothing like this anymore

Now she lives in your backyard, is it boredom?

Not sure would getting a companion work but it was my first reaction. It's a long thread, I see this was posted already

Sell your lawnmower, get a few sheep to keep the lawn tidy and the dog will watch over them ;)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Well she came from a farm and there is always things going on, animals to see, follow the farmer around and to investigate everything.
    I know our dog used to sleep up in the farmyard sheds when there was activity like lambing season.

Your dog has nothing like this anymore

Now she lives in your backyard, is it boredom?

Not sure would getting a companion work but it was my first reaction. It's a long thread, I see this was posted already

Sell your lawnmower, get a few sheep to keep the lawn tidy and the dog will watch over them ;)
    ha, she has 3 other dogs 2 cats that she loves to bits, my partner and me plus are 2 kids. sorry no lawnmower gdn cemented

axle108 wrote: »
    What sort of training i.e methods have the various trainers advised. Have they experience in dealing with GSD's. How many months obedience training was undertaken with this dog.

she has been going to training ever since she was a pup. thatys the thing as ive already said very obident during the day has her funny little ways but they are getting better. i am looking into agility but cant find anything around this way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Could you crate train her? Then put a towel over the crate to block out the light? It's what we do when our Jack Russell gets noisey, it just seems to settle him.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Could you crate train her? Then put a towel over the crate to block out the light? It's what we do when our Jack Russell gets noisey, it just seems to settle him.
    no, while all my others where, as i have all ready said i got her at 5-6 months with a lot of problems one been indoors. she came from a farm situation so one of her prob is she hates been indoors. saying that she is getting better will now stay in for maybe 2-3 hrs at a time wheres before to look at her it was like looking at a caged animal. dont think the light has to much to do with it as all during the winter she was staring some mornings before 6 and it was pitch black

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

OP would you consider an anti bark collar? Its just your GSD sounds like she is physically looked after well and also has plenty of company to keep her happy and is still crying looking for attention.

My dog used to bark in the middle of the night for no reason 3am sometimes later, or he might of been upset by the damn cats around. Anyways I tried alot of things before getting the collar (which took some convincing but when your loosing sleep and your neighbours hate you over your dog you will try anything):(

I firstly got the spray collar which sprayed citronella which dogs are meant to HATE (mine loved the bloody stuff):rolleyes: so I had to get the static collar- Its not as bad as it sounds its like the shock you get when you touch metal. Anyways it worked really well, and he knows now when I put it on him that he shudnt be barking, i dont even have to put it on him at night anymore:D just sometimes when hes being naughty...

Amzie wrote: »
    OP would you consider an anti bark collar? Its just your GSD sounds like she is physically looked after well and also has plenty of company to keep her happy and is still crying looking for attention.

My dog used to bark in the middle of the night for no reason 3am sometimes later, or he might of been upset by the damn cats around. Anyways I tried alot of things before getting the collar (which took some convincing but when your loosing sleep and your neighbours hate you over your dog you will try anything):(

I firstly got the spray collar which sprayed citronella which dogs are meant to HATE (mine loved the bloody stuff):rolleyes: so I had to get the static collar- Its not as bad as it sounds its like the shock you get when you touch metal. Anyways it worked really well, and he knows now when I put it on him that he shudnt be barking, i dont even have to put it on him at night anymore:D just sometimes when hes being naughty...

first she dont bark she cries so i dont know if one of these collars would work on her. 2nd i hate the things, i think they are sooooo cruel and i think this country should be like wales and ban the horrible things.
    sorry if i sound ungrateful for your advise but i really do detest them

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Have you tried a Thundershirt? Its a jacket that calms nervous/anxious dogs. I haven't used them but there is a money back guarantee with them afaik. Another poster has posted about them here a few times. Might be worth trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

first she dont bark she cries so i dont know if one of these collars would work on her. 2nd i hate the things, i think they are sooooo cruel and i think this country should be like wales and ban the horrible things.
    sorry if i sound ungrateful for your advise but i really do detest them

Ye does work on cries, it's grand not everyone agrees with em, I wudnt put it on him if I though he was in pain, he's very furry too so it prob more of a funny sensation than a shock to him. I was at the end of my teather with neighbours givn me dirty looks because of my dog But the collar worked nd no more complaints

Also just to add that the collar isn't one of those high intensity ones that ya can turn up higher, I've even tried it on my wrist to see what kinda static it is nd its not bad...

Advertisement