Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shambhala

• 01-04-2006 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Anyone ever heard of Shambhala?

Someone I know recommended their weekend courses in meditation. He's done loads of courses and said that this was a great starter course. I looked at their website http://dublin.shambhala.ie/index1000.html. And they seem to be very well organised.

I hadn't heard about them before and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

St_Crispin wrote:
    Anyone ever heard of Shambhala?

Have indeed, following is a short outline. Have never met anyone who is a member, and have never encountered it here in Asia. Have to admit I am more than a little sceptical of it, its too secret for my liking. Buddhism in general was expounded so that ordinary common mortals could attain enlightenment. I did not have higher secrets, or higher levels of individuals. It was all freely written down for all to read. Having said that, and bearing in mind we should always keep an open mind, check it out and let us know what you think. Anything that teaches one methods of meditation and peace cannot be all bad.
    Shambala is associated with Vajrayana Buddhism, the idea of Shambhala is said to have an "outer," "inner,' and "secret" meaning. The outer meaning understands Shambhala to exist as a physical place, although only individuals with the appropriate karma can reach it and experience it as such. There are various ideas about where this society is located, but it is often placed in central Asia, north or west of Tibet. The inner and secret meanings refer to more subtle understandings of what Shambhala represents, and are generally passed on orally.

Shakyamuni Buddha is said to have taught the Kalachakra tantra on request of King Suchandra of Shambala; the teachings are also said to be preserved there. Shambhala is believed to be a society where all the inhabitants are enlightened, centered on a capital city called Kalapa.

During the nineteenth century, Theosophical Society founder H.P. Blavatsky alluded to the Shambhala myth, giving it currency for Western occult enthusiasts. Later esoteric writers further emphasized and elaborated on the concept of a hidden land inhabited by a hidden mystic brotherhood whose members labor for the good of humanity.

Beginning in the 1960s, various occult writers have sought to explain the evil of Nazism by suggesting Adolf Hitler tapped into the malevolent forces of Shambhala when he sent Ahnenerbe researchers to Tibet to measure Tibetan skulls as part of his master race justifications. In Neo-Nazi mysticism, Shambhala is sometimes supposed to be the place to which Hitler fled after the fall of the Third Reich. Hitler was known to have an interest in the myth of Shambhala and in "eastern mysticism" generally, from which he appropriated the swastika.
    It is also believed that Josef Stalin organized an expedition to find Shambala.

Related "hidden land" speculations surrounding the underground kingdom of Agartha led some early twentieth-century occultists to view Shambhala as a source of rather negative manipulation by an evil (or amoral) conspiracy. Nevertheless, the predominant theme is one of light and hope, as evidenced by James Redfield's and Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche's respective books by that name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was going to do a kinda introductory shambhala meditation course, should I not, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

bluewolf wrote:
    I was going to do a kinda introductory shambhala meditation course, should I not, then?
    Of course you should check it out, please remember that it has taken me 20 years to find my path, your path could be very different. For me, every day I have prayers. chanting, meditation. Lectures every week. All this has of course set me very solidly in what I believe. As far as I am concerned, anything that helps us learn is good, anything that starts to impose human restrictions is bad. There is no room in Buddhism for secrecy. Meditation is probably the most important action we can carry out. Also as we know, when the student is ready the master will appear. Buddhists do not fight among themselves as to who's school is right and who is wrong. Buddhism is a life of self-awareness. My level will be different from you since as you pointed out I have been at it as long as you have been alive :p For all we know, Shambala maybe the one that strikes home with you. What makes you happy, makes me happy. What matters is that you learn, and you decide what is correct for you. The only point I have to make again is that anything that starts to impose human restrictions or expects others to completely agree with some high-priest or monks opinions because of his title is headed for trouble. The Buddha was a prince, he gave up all titles. He was a man who found enlightenment through his own efforts, it will be the same for you, for all of us. Humankind is notorious for embellishing things for all the wrong reasons. An open mind is all that is required. My old adage has not failed me in 20 years:
    It if it does not feel right strait out, it is not right for me. One can recognize the truth instantly,
    Do let me know how it goes, I am eager to learn from others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

bluewolf wrote:
    It's worth checking out the courses conducted at www.dzogchenbeara.org it's in South West Cork. I went to see Ringu Tulku Rinpoche give a three day talk on Fear and Anger last year. He is a Tibetan Buddhist Master of the Kagyu order. He is coming again in May, I hope, as his father passed away recently, and that may affect his plans. I found the teaching very easy, very open. I feel no scepticism towards it at all. The details of his talk this year has not been confirmed, but, it will more than likely be accesible(intellectually) to all.

It's also a great place to meditate, and take time out for yourself. More details on http://www.dzogchenbeara.org/

Advertisement