Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocked iphone 4...No service on Meteor

• 11-02-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Nephew recently bought an Apple unlocked iphone 4. The phone works perfectly on Vodafone and 3 Ireland. However he wants to use it on Meteor. When meteor sim is inserted it shows Meteor on the top of the screen but has no bars for service. The same occurs when a sim for O2 is inserted.

Have reset network settings after putting in sim also to no avail. Anybody know what might be the problem?

Thanks

Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Nephew recently bought an Apple unlocked iphone 4. The phone works perfectly on Vodafone and 3 Ireland. However he wants to use it on Meteor. When meteor sim is inserted it shows Meteor on the top of the screen but has no bars for service. The same occurs when a sim for O2 is inserted.

Have reset network settings after putting in sim also to no avail. Anybody know what might be the problem?

Thanks

Eddie
    Maybe theres no coverage for o2 and meteor in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Sounds like its been blacklisted, ring meteor with the imei and ask them to check.
    I had an iPhone 4(stolen recovered) which was officially unlocked but 3 had blacklisted it, it worked 100% on vodafone but no other network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

if its blacklisted it wouldnt work on any network in Ireland.
    Is there a sim pin on the o2 and Meteor sim cards turn it off if there is this has been a problem with Meteor and o2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭guil

jay93 wrote: »
    Is there a sim pin on the o2 and Meteor sim cards turn it off if there is this has been a problem with Meteor and o2
    if there is a pin it says sim locked and unlock and cancel are under it, afaik its the same with all networks

Like I said above, I've a three Ireland phone which was blacklisted and works on Vodafone Ireland so I wouldn't guarantee it hasn't been blacklisted on some networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

I have a friend with the same problem, her sister sent her home a 3gs she bought from Apple Ireland about 2years ago and she got the new iPhone in oz recently so she said her sister could have it. However it won't work, it asks for her pin and unlocks like a normal phone would but she has no coverage at all.

Like I said above, I've a three Ireland phone which was blacklisted and works on Vodafone Ireland so I wouldn't guarantee it hasn't been blacklisted on some networks.

Thats really odd, any phone that i have seen blacklisted wont work on any other network!
    Even o2 confirmed before that once blacklisted it wont work no matter what sim you put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thats really odd, any phone that i have seen blacklisted wont work on any other network!
    Even o2 confirmed before that once blacklisted it wont work no matter what sim you put into it.

Well it must be true so, 'cause customer service never get things wrong! ;)

Soarer wrote: »
    Well it must be true so, 'cause customer service never get things wrong! ;)

Well i never said o2 were right in what they were saying!
    I'm just passing on info that was given to me and that was how i believed that blacklisting works.

Why would it be blacklisted on two networks but not the others?:confused::cool:

I would say its because All the Irish networks share O2 and vodafones networks and depending on who blacklisted it, it's not carried across both networks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I have a friend with the same problem, her sister sent her home a 3gs she bought from Apple Ireland about 2years ago and she got the new iPhone in oz recently so she said her sister could have it. However it won't work, it asks for her pin and unlocks like a normal phone would but she has no coverage at all.

Put the sim in another phone and disable the sim pin then try again in the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭steadyeddie08

Thanks

Eddie

Connected to i tunes and did a restore on the phone. When finished it looked for a sim card to activate. I used a Vodafone sim to do this and again it was working fine.

A few minutes later while connected to i tunes i inserted a sim card from O2. It gave the message "Your phone is now unlocked". Still showing O2 logo but no network service.

If the phone was blocked why would it activate and work using Vodafone sim but not work with the sim used to unlock?:confused:

Thanks

Eddie

Advertisement