Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piratebay to be blocked in Ireland within 30 days

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The most likely effect will be to drive "ordinary people" towards an encrypted Internet, using some sort of anonymous browser. We'll go from government monitoring of plaintext traffic to having to fight people who encrypt all their traffic - and not simply through VPNs which are too easy to shut down and block in turn.

This is broadly what happened in Japan when they cracked down on P2P software.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Will they every be able to shut down the likes of Tor browser which give you a gateway to the dark web, the browsers themselves aren't doing anything illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭briany

Will they every be able to shut down the likes of Tor browser which give you a gateway to the dark web, the browsers themselves aren't doing anything illegal?

China have done this with some success, I think. This has forced their users to freenet which is a much harder proposition to block but is slow and a poor alternative to the mainstream internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gromded

Use Tor browser to avoid block

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

Well they have done it... I just checked TPB a few mins ago and it is blocked by order of the Irish courts! I guess the media fascists have managed to have their way with the Irish ISP's.... I wonder what the members of IRMA would do if someone were to deny access to parts of the web to them? Cowards!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

sysconp1 wrote: »
    Well they have done it... I just checked TPB a few mins ago and it is blocked by order of the Irish courts! I guess the media fascists have managed to have their way with the Irish ISP's.... I wonder what the members of IRMA would do if someone were to deny access to parts of the web to them? Cowards!!

whos they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have vodafone broadband in work and piratebay is not blocked.

I have UPC at home and its blocked. I have to use an alternative address.

I am puzzled as how one works and one doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Only 6 ISP's had to block it, and I think Vodafone was one of them.

Your Vodafone Connection at work is probably a business one, or the computers at work could be running through a VPN, bypassing any blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

Irish BroadBand (Imagine) blocked today and had held off for quite a while :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

I just google Pirate bay and the first entry on the results page thePiratebay.sx was blocked :eek:
    Fortunately the second result The Pirate bay unblocked wasn't blocked. :D

That was a terrifying 0.7 of a second. Damn you IRMA, damn you to hell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Im still fine. Working fine without the usual workarounds required.

Its beyond pathetic these attempts to stop us viewing sites. They really ought to just give it a rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gas how they go to all this effort to block a site & all it takes is for us to click a link further down on google search results to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

zerks wrote: »
    Gas how they go to all this effort to block a site & all it takes is for us to click a link further down on google search results to access it.

Its not gas, you should be worried they even got this far. The music companies have to make next to 0 effort, once they get their act together they will just fire a list of sites to be blocked and the ISPs have to comply. Its still the wrong way to go about what they want to achieve - its ineffective and just makes their already poor reputation even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rinleezwins

"Keeping Up Appearences" fits here perfectly. Everyone will just google piratebay proxy, so blocking piratebay wasn't a solution.

"Keeping Up Appearences" fits here perfectly. Everyone will just google piratebay proxy, so blocking piratebay wasn't a solution.

So they can block the first 30 pages of results - remember they don't need a new court case to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Its not gas, you should be worried they even got this far. The music companies have to make next to 0 effort, once they get their act together they will just fire a list of sites to be blocked and the ISPs have to comply. Its still the wrong way to go about what they want to achieve - its ineffective and just makes their already poor reputation even worse.

I agree,my post wasn't meant to be flippant,it just demonstrates how there's always a way around this censorship.I personally don't use PirateBay but accessed it the day VF blocked it just to see how easily I could.
    My favourite torrent site had it's domain seized & within a couple of hours it was up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

And more will pop up immediately.

Impossible to control.

zerks wrote: »
    I agree,my post wasn't meant to be flippant,it just demonstrates how there's always a way around this censorship.I personally don't use PirateBay but accessed it the day VF blocked it just to see how easily I could.
    My favourite torrent site had it's domain seized & within a couple of hours it was up and running again.

The way they are blocking sites is bad, as are the reasons they are blocking them. The fact that they got them blocked at all is what we should be worried about. In any sort of escalation its the end users that suffer.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    And more will pop up immediately.

Impossible to control.
    If the music companies block the first 30 pages of a google search on say, the piratebay proxies, how will " more pop up immediately? You think the proxy sites will be told they are blocked, or that they have the time/effort to create another few hundred mirrors - do you think end users will continue past looking at the first 2 pages of results?

What if google are forced to remove sites from their search results completely, or the isps for forced to uphold an injunction on p2p traffic completely.

Right now its a farce, the block is barely even noticeable, but the precedent it sets is a really bad omen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

PirateBay is now blocked on Sky, I noticed this recently. Doesn't say anything just won't load.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That was a terrifying 0.7 of a second. Damn you IRMA, damn you to hell!
    It's whack a mole time.

The real solution is providing fair priced content with the likes of Netflix & co. Peer to peer traffic has dropped in all countries where Netflix have allowed people the same access to content they get in the US.

Anyway
    http://torrentfreak.com/isohunt-shuts-down-after-110-million-settlement-with-the-mpaa-131017/
    Torrent search engine isoHunt today announced that it has settled its legal battle with the MPAA for $110 million. The site’s owner has decided to throw in the towel and shut down the site for now, but an application for an appeal at the U.S. Supreme Court is still pending. The MPAA described the outcome of the case as a landmark victory that will preserve jobs and protect tens of thousands of businesses.
    The full terms of the settlement agreement have not been disclosed, but there appears to be more behind it. IsoHunt will be bankrupted by the $110 million settlement, so there is no reason to throw in the towel two weeks before the trial was supposed to start, unless they received something in return.

For the MPAA this is the second big official legal victory against a torrent site. In 2009 the movie industry group won its legal battle against TorrentSpy.

While the MPAA has booked a clear victory, the case is not completely over yet. IsoHunt recently filed an application to appeal the case at the Supreme Court, which could mean that both parties are back in court again in the not too distant future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

PirateBay is now blocked on Sky, I noticed this recently. Doesn't say anything just won't load.

Noticed this yesterday aswell .
    When I signed up with Sky the agent assured me that they wouldnt be blocking TPB.
    Should I demand some compensation?:D
    Ah well.I prefer kat anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

When I signed up with Sky the agent assured me that they wouldnt be blocking TPB.
    Demand compensation! Do it!
    Yeah, I'm not all that bothered, I don't tend to pirate stuff but if I really wanted to there's loads of alternatives. Why they even bothered is beyond me... :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on :pac:

But very bad form, yes you should demand compo at the very least ring up and complain, because the sales person misled you.

As a techie who has had to clear up the mess this sort of stuff can lead to I hate smarmy salespeople, the fact they can get bonuses for lying really hurts :mad:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html
    A contract is a formal agreement between two or more people that is enforceable by law. When you buy goods or services you enter into a contract with the seller. Contracts are made up of terms; some of which can be implied terms. Contracts may be written or oral. It is easier to know what the terms are in a written contract but an oral contract is also enforceable in law.
    Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

SKY could be fined over this sort of thing
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/print.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭jos22

was that before or after EMI got the courts order sky and UPC etc to obey them

• Registered Users Posts: 40 YearZero

EDIT

Advertisement