Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Lowdown on the Low Country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Awarded in three classes, gold, silver and bronze.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

Wow Herr Scheisse, that is some Belgian collection that you have there now! I'm impressed! :)
    Even thinking of the blood donor one, imagine how many years of donating blood that it would take to get awarded that medal!

This one just in - De Kroonorde - or Order of the Crown.

Founded by Leopold II of Congo fame. Or perhaps infamy. It has long since been accepted into the Belgian Chivalric Award system and comes in a broad variety of classes.

It can be awarded for multiple reasons, for commercial, industrial, artistic service to the country; It is also awarded for loyal service and long service in Africa.

This particular example I have is as awarded to a Knight. It comes from a collection of about 8 different awards to the same individual. They were sold seperately so the grouping is dispersed, scattered to the four winds as it were. I was happy to win the bid on this item.

MedalFuhrer won the Leopold II so maybe he will post it up, and also damn him for sneaking in that bid on me ;)

DSC_0079-1.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

The order was accompanied by an award diploma signed by the then Minister for Foreign Affairs Louis Michel, now an MEP. However I do not show the individuals name as it is quite recently awarded (anno 2000).

DSC_0070-1.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0073-1.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

Its a beautiful piece, sturdy yet elegant. I might be tempted to wear it myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

You have a very nice collection there Herr Scheisse, looking at all your nice Belgian awards makes me wish I hadn't sold all mine.

Stephen

Nice arty photos Herr Sheisse. ;)

A few of my chocolate eater medals....

The Order of Leopold II with ribbon bar for service during WW2. I only got this last week so I am chuffed! :) And documents.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg

• Advertisement

That sure is a nice Leopold II, as perfect an example as you would find anywhere! Much cleaner than my sample.

But some shyster got in there before me ;)

The first document is or the award of the order signed by the Foreign Minister.

The second document is for the award of the swords on the ribbon, it is from the Minister of Defense at the time. He served in the Verhofstadt government. Verhofstadt has since sought greener pastures on the European side of politics.

That's a keeper for sure!

PS That Leopold II is for a "Knight".

Sweet! I must get you to fully translate the devil tongue for me. It is a beautiful medal and is pristine as are the documents. The only thing missing is the box for the medal.

Here is the "devil tongue" de-deviled for you ;)

Kingdom of Belgium

The Minister of Defense has the honour to award
    the distinguished insignia of two crossed swords
    with bar 1940-1945 to...

Mister....

Holder of the Knight's Cross in the Order of Leopold II
    and in recognition of services rendered to the country
    during the conflict of 1940-1945.

Given with number 2814 on 27th April 2000

Minister of Defense

Andre Flahaut

Here is the award diploma:

Kingdom of Belgium

Diploma

On the proposition of the Minister of National Defence,
    in the reign of his majesty the King Albert II,
    in recognition of services rendered to the association
    of former servicemen or assimilated, of combat veterans and war invalids, to confer by royal decree, the decoration of

Knight in the Order of Leopold II

to Mister...

Signed

Minister of Foreign Affairs

I made a small error on that second translation, it was late and the blood must have rushed to my head but it was the wrong head.

"Il a plu" I confused the verb “pleuvoir” meaning "rain" with "reign"...

It is actually from “plaire” meaning like / please.

So the correct translation is:

Kingdom of Belgium

Diploma

On the proposition of the Minister of National Defence,
    it pleases his majesty the King Albert II,
    in recognition of services rendered to the association
    of former servicemen or assimilated, of combat veterans and war invalids, to confer by royal decree, the decoration of

Knight in the Order of Leopold II

to Mister...

Signed

Minister of Foreign Affairs

Erik Derycke

• Advertisement

I made a small error on that second translation, it was late and the blood must have rushed to my head but it was the wrong head.

And did you pass out?

Thanks for the translation! :)

...went to the market :pac:

DSC_0036-1.jpg

DSC_0037-1.jpg

DSC_0039-1.jpg

DSC_0040-1.jpg

DSC_0032-1.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

This medal was awarded to all who werved in the Belgian armed forces in Britain during World War II. The front side features a sword pointed upwards and the war years, the reverse a lion centrally located within the cross.

DSC_0065-1.jpg

DSC_0063-1.jpg

This semi-official badge was awarded to members of the Belgian Red Cross(Dutch: Rode Kruis) during the war years 1940-1945.

DSC_0020-2.jpg

DSC_0023-2.jpg

Similar to the Volunteers medal previously posted, the design is slightly different and the ribbon has the bar "Pugnator" which is Latin for "Combatant".

DSC_0025-1.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

You get this one for paying your taxes loyally for 30 years :pac:

This version is first class, in box and with minitaure included.

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0019-2.jpg

DSC_0059-1.jpg

DSC_0054-2.jpg

• Advertisement

DSC_0047-1.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

DSC_0046-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

I really like that Bronze Palms of the Red Cross, some very nice additions to your collection.

Thanks Steps! Got it at a great price of 8 euro :)

This medal awarded to Belgian or foreign citizens that volunteered for the arlme dforces and served in a combat unit for 6 months.

The image on the front are two volunteers, one in 1830 regalia, the year of independance, the other witha helmet of 1914.

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

Created by Leopold II and instituted in 1908 into the national award system. Also possible in single language, silver and bronze. The rear contains the letters "L" for Leopold and "S" for sovereign.

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

This medal is awarded for 20 years of loyal wervice between 1965 and 1905. There are three variants of the award with different dates on the rear: 1865-1905, 1965-1909 and 1885-1909.

DSC_0457-1.jpg

DSC_0448.jpg

PS this one must have been on display, the front ribbon is faded as compared to the rear.

This committee provided food aid and assistance to the needy during WW1. The medal comes in four classes, 1st class is gilt finish with a rosette on the ribbon, 2nd class gilt finish with no rosette, third class silver, and fourth bronze. The front bears a female symbolising Belgium.

Also known as the "bean medal" due to the amount of dried beans distributed :pac:

Below is third class silver.

DSC_0454.jpg

DSC_0455.jpg

And here is fourth class bronze.

DSC_0451.jpg

DSC_0452.jpg

Very nice additions to your chocolate eaters collection! It's some collection now.

• Advertisement

Forgot to add this one, the 50th anniversary of the Yser Campaign. On the rear is the name of the town of Nieuwpoort, where the yser river joins the sea. It is a coastal river, and the water levels controlled by floodgates, something which affected the outcome of WW1. I have pictures of the campaign area, I'll post them up separately.

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

Advertisement