Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should an English pub be opened in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The LVA will never have them in order to protect their overpriced monopoly. Remember the proposed café bars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

gurramok wrote: »
    The LVA will never have them in order to protect their overpriced monopoly. Remember the proposed café bars?

It's only a themed pub we're on about. All it would take is an existing pub owner to do a bit of a makeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A few of their brewdog pubs wouldn't go astray tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

WEll, as someone mentioned, all Englishpubs tend to have game machines.

There are great English country pubs, truth be told.

A lot of pubs in towns / fair sized villages here have them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Wetherspoons are depressing, the only people who go to them where I live are old people and rough looking down and outs. No music or sport either and horrible carpets, eugh makes me shudder.

Ditch the carpets and I'm there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Irish pubs are ****e abroad so on that basis I think no. Let's leave pubs just be pubs in their own country. Themed pubs have no soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Leave it, it's not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Madam wrote: »
    The best English pubs are usually way out in the countryside in a small village or town - at least the most authentic ones are:) Believe it or not there are still real gems of Irish pubs hidden away from the tourist traps and Dublin.

Agreed, I've been to loads of english pubs in towns and villages in yorkshire and they're great. The standard of food pisses all over the equivalent irish local bar too, and the choice of beer is 10 times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Yeah! And while we're at it, we should open Irish curry shops in India! And sell space dust to Martians!

Edit: I do agree however that more ale needs to be available in Irish pubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

It would be burnt out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Well the part of London I am from ( NW ) , most of the real pubs have been knocked down to re-develop . Then the only pubs left are the Wetherspoons or similar on the high street ( usually in old Woolworths )

of course I am generalising :)

Nip over to Hampsted for a pint, there are some great traditional pubs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I worked in an Irish pub in London, one of the O'Neill's chain owned by Bass Breweries. They had a precise formula for what made an "Irish pub", which involved nailing various things to the walls: violins, washtubs, old Guinness signs, brooms, and so on. I'm not kidding.

The only reason I can think of to do an "English" pub here would be for the beer - but then it would probably be too expensive, charging €4 or more for a pint of bitter. There are already decent smaller breweries in Ireland who don't get in to pubs, so ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Is the Lincoln Inn on Nassau street not an english pub.

But all I remember is beig made feel like a VIP in pubs in england. Very Irish Person. paddy, drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Nip over to Hampsted for a pint, there are some great traditional pubs there.

Do you mean Jack Straws on The Heath :)

I know there are still some , but where I am from ( Ruislip/Harrow ) most of the ' landmark ' pubs have been knocked , or burnt down for insurance

Terrible , all the landmarks of my youth disappearing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Steven81

Think they should open, then they can all go over and communicate with each other and act the fool in there rather than going to the Irish pubs and us having to listen to them. Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

bnt wrote: »
    I worked in an Irish pub in London, one of the O'Neill's chain owned by Bass Breweries. They had a precise formula for what made an "Irish pub", which involved nailing various things to the walls: violins, washtubs, old Guinness signs, brooms, and so on. I'm not kidding.

The Irish do the same, to be fair. The pubs in Temple Bar are one lazy cliché after another.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Do you mean Jack Straws on The Heath :)

I know there are still some , but where I am from ( Ruislip/Harrow ) most of the ' landmark ' pubs have been knocked , or burnt down for insurance

Terrible , all the landmarks of my youth disappearing

the Flask is my favourite, in Flask walk. There's also a great one kind of opposite the tube, next to where Jamie Oliver used to live. Apparently he moved because he got fed up with people ringing his door bell at 11:30 and asking him to knock up some kebabs!

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The Irish do the same, to be fair. The pubs in Temple Bar are one lazy cliché after another.

I was in the one in Earls Court with a friend who was in London for the first time. He was trying to work out why a pub in West London that had Australian lagers served by Kiwis would have "enjoy the craic"plastered across the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

That gin palace in on the corner of parnell street and upper liffey street has an english feel to it with its red wallpaper and ornamental lightfittings.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I was in the one in Earls Court with a friend who was in London for the first time. He was trying to work out why a pub in West London that had Australian lagers served by Kiwis would have "enjoy the craic"plastered across the walls.
    The word Craic is not uniquely irish there is a variation in shakespeare somewhere .....i believe .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

That gin palace in on the corner of parnell street and upper liffey street has an english feel to it with its red wallpaper and ornamental lightfittings.

Alas there is no selection of cask (Real Ale) on tap, so it cant have that true English pub feel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Abrakebabra should open a pub!! You could get a pint with your taco chips! :D

Yeah you could enjoy them under the neon blue anti junkie lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

I think it's a super idea, Absolutely loved drinking real ale in quaint country pubs when I lived in the uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

kfallon wrote: »
    John Smith's is the Devils piss, why on earth would we want that manky stuff served over here? :confused:

That stuff is so bad i brought a few full cans to the local park and left them on a bench for people to take

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

wetherspoons tried to open on capel st a few years back and the local pubs just werent having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

df1985 wrote: »
    wetherspoons tried to open on capel st a few years back and the local pubs just werent having it.
    Weaterspoons not welcome here.
    Gets Celtic Jersey and placard...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

The Jackeens need someplace to go worship their queen so why not. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

go screw your sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Wetherspoons are depressing, the only people who go to them where I live are old people and rough looking down and outs. No music or sport either and horrible carpets, eugh makes me shudder.

They're not all so bad. I don't miss the music you get in most pubs. That said, I only go there for lunch and I have trouble hearing people at the best of times, so I'm biased to some degree. They do tend to have 'visiting' drinks besides the stuff that's always available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

There are some pubs that I love in Dublin. But here in merry England I have to say the range of old and new pubs, cheap pubs, fancy gastro ones etc is just amazing. Also the range of beers on tap is fantastic. The opening hours are much better too. Altogether a much better drinking experience, we should take on board some of their practices in Ireland for sure.

this. completely better than ireland in every way. and always cheaper as well. especially the 'high end' pubs serving amazing food but not in a fully formal restaurant setting.

that said im in france now and it they havent a clue. for example my gf is from a village in he mountain where they have one bar for 6000 odd people. and its empty!

as other people have said i would love a larger selection of biers and ales available in ireland.

Advertisement