Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else not play online at all?

• 27-04-2012 10:04am
    Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I played alot of Quake III online on the dreamcast back in the day but I don't have the facilities for online gaming now and I actually don't mind just playing single player. I had alot of craic with Quake and i'm sure it can be great playing online now but getting the requirements just isn't high on my priorities.

Heavy Rain, Red Dead, The GTA's, SStreet Fighter iv, MK and others are all recent enough games I've enjoyed alot on my own.

Is the future safe for single player games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I much prefer a good single player experience. Big fan of rpg's like Fallout, and love any game that has a good story and atmosphere. Bioshock, Darksiders and Dead Space are all fantastic games with no need for multi player.
    While I sometimes play a bit of BF3, online play just doesn't hold attention.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I only play Madden online really these days.

The odd time I'll play CoD, but tend to head towards the single player games mainly so I can just switch off when I need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I don't play online because of a poor Internet connection. My biggest miss from games these days is poor/no local multiplayer. Just seems to be 1 player or online as the choices. Or is that my perception rather than fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I never play on line. Even though I love playing Call of Duty. But I prefer sitting back playing Fallout or Halflife. Just never bothered setting up for online gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Depends on the game really, single player in CoD4 is unparallel to any other FPS I've played. Then again the story and single player of Mass Effect is amazing and so in depth. Other games then I only play the online multiplayer, the recent CoD for example.

All in all, single player campaign will always be a big thing in gaming... Obviously some single player games will be crap and others well above par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I prefer single player games which is why it annoys me when developers seem to cut the game short in order to spend time on multiplayer. Think only games I've tried online recently were Uncharted 3 and Dead Space 2.
    For Uncharted, it took so long to connect to a game that I only played a few matches and turned it off. Be better if you could just go on and have a quick game. But too much waiting and loading

And then there's the main problem of playing against people who clearly don't do anything but play the game so you can't really enjoy yourself when you're dying almost instantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I never play online. Far more interested in the single player campaign/story as opposed to endlessly killing/beating people in a mindless void of cursing/swearing/abuse.

Give me a rich immersive story every.single.time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ya will always have single player games

just ya see more single players games with tacked on mp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

EnterNow wrote: »
    I never play online. Far more interested in the single player campaign/story as opposed to endlessly killing/beating people in a mindless void of cursing/swearing/abuse.

Give me a rich immersive story every.single.time.

I concur with the bolded part... Not every single time for me though, mindless online killing has its benefits too :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm 50/50 with my gaming. I don't know what games people are playing that have screaming abuse, but there are mute buttons and reporting tools for a reason. Multi-player is the reason you go back to a game - Mass Effect 3 is a great example - I've been playing loads of the multi in that having finished the story almost 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Witcher 2 - best single player experience ever.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm 50/50 with my gaming. I don't know what games people are playing that have screaming abuse, but there are mute buttons and reporting tools for a reason

I know I'm the exception rather than the rule, but to me, it's all completely pointless. There's no start middle or end to the game online [mmorpg's are different, I'm talking about bog standard stuff here] it's just you, a map, a few other people...repeat wash & rinse.

I like progressing through a game, achieving things that arn't achievements, & seeing a game develop. My son mostly plays multiplayer & when I look at it, it's just mindless drivel. I can see it's fun to those inclined, but give me an adventure in Hyrule over map-based repetition anyday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've always preferred the finite nature of single-player as well. So many games out there and I just don't have the time to dedicate to multiplayer. As Enternow said, a measurable start, middle and end are luxuries I highly appreciate.

Not that I'm against multiplayer at all, I certainly enjoy dipping in and out from time to time (which is why I'm so opposed to XP systems that constantly demand heavy time commitment and actively discourage casual play). A good split-screen match is also a joy. I do love to see game developer's doing something interesting with multiplayer: to me Dark Souls and Journey are far more rewarding than a mere deathmatch, and we should encourage developers to be more ambitious with their online components.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think you need to shift your way of thinking for multi-player and think of it more like having a kick-about with a football - there's nothing more to it than just doing it cause you enjoy kicking ball with friends for an hour. Multi-player gaming is the competitive "sport" side of computer gaming, different animal to single player. Not everyone's cuppa tea though, I'd never suggest that everyone has to play multi-player, but it's there to cater to a different sort of market.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I think you need to shift your way of thinking for multi-player and think of it more like having a kick-about with a football - there's nothing more to it than just doing it cause you enjoy kicking ball with friends for an hour. Multi-player gaming is the competitive "sport" side of computer gaming, different animal to single player. Not everyone's cuppa tea though, I'd never suggest that everyone has to play multi-player, but it's there to cater to a different sort of market.

Agreed, it just doesn't appeal to me, so I don't/rarely do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Two very different game experiences really. I like. I'm happy to sit down to a Mass Effect game and play it for hours and I'm just as happy jumping into a game of TF2 etc online.

My only wish was that online games producers could work in a way that when someone says something along the lines of "f*cking noob" a portal would open and you could punch said person in the face.... and then burn their house down....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Only a few MP games are mindless "drivel" (CoD and BF spring to mind)... most require far more concentration and skill than any SP game, some people enjoy that challenge.. some don't.

Personally, i used to only play MP games, but over the last 3 or 4 years i've had less time on my hands and have played a lot more SP games.

Magill wrote: »
    Only a few MP games are mindless "drivel" (CoD and BF spring to mind)...

Yeah, unfair of me to lump them all in one pot. CoD sprung to mind instantly when thinking of MP. I'm sure some are rewarding in their own right, & there is accomplishment in them.
    most require far more concentration and skill than any SP game, some people enjoy that challenge.. some don't.

That may be, but for me, I still prefer 'a story' to be told.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Used to play a lot online on the PC back in the late nineties. Got bored of it and now the only time I venture online is with Minecraft or Dark Souls. It just bores me now and all those tweens that getting inflated egos from being good at it grate after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'd be fifty-fifty with online and single player gaming. These days I find myself playing more offline because I've such a massive back catalog of games to get through, but I'll always give the online side of any game a try. I always find myself going back to playing Battlefield 3 to blow off some steam online or maybe a few games of FIFA or Left4Dead if I can get a few friends to join in.

Games like Battlefield, or COD (which I no longer play), are much better online than their single player equilivants in my opinion. When it comes to single player I love a solid story driven game like Fallout, Batman or Mass Effect. I prefer playing a huge RPG, but sometimes nothing beats a fast paced online challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I too got sucked into Quake 3 on the Dreamcast! Probably my favourite online experience to date.

I think it's down to the people you play with, back then anyone who was online on a DC was a 20 something geek and there was almost always a good atmosphere. Now, as mentioned by Retr0, the majority are young boys and a culture of disrepectful behaviour has developed and sadly become the norm (Americanised "trash-talking" seems to be the only form of communication!).

I have on occasion found some like-minded people to play with and you can then appreciate what online mulitplayer is about. Unfortunately synchronising what game and time is usually a chore with so few of us about.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'd say I'm 50-50 too. I never touch MP on the xbox though /shudder.
    I play a good bit of BF3 with a few regulars over on the Craggy Island server and it's good craic with Teamspeak. Since moving over to the UK I've found it easy to catch up with friends back home with games of Magicka, TF2 and L4D2.

I also have a sizable steam singleplayer backlog to work through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

penev10 wrote: »
    Now, as mentioned by Retr0, the majority are young boys and a culture of disrepectful behaviour has developed and sadly become the norm (Americanised "trash-talking" seems to be the only form of communication!).

Always been like that, only thing different is that everyone and their dog now has a mic to vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah was more awkward to open the onscreen console and type the insults when you could just play

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Always been like that, only thing different is that everyone and their dog now has a mic to vent.
    That's the best thing about Dark Souls MP - no voice chat!

Most people don't use voice chat on PC tho... at least not ingame voice chat. People typically play with friends on vent/mumble or teamspeak. And even if you do come across a rager or kid on the mic, just mute them, takes about 2 seconds. Even if its the entire lobby on xbox/ps3.. one quick swoop and everyone is muted for the entire game, heck im pretty sure you can just disable to voice chat on both consoles.

I get that a lot of people have just no interest in MP, but the whole "MP is full of whingy teens and arseholes" is just a nonsensical complaint when its so easy to ignore other players and just play with friends (Unless you have no friends... like me :P).

Magill wrote: »
    Most people don't use voice chat on PC tho... at least not ingame voice chat. People typically play with friends on vent/mumble or teamspeak. And even if you do come across a rager or kid on the mic, just mute them, takes about 2 seconds. Even if its the entire lobby on xbox/ps3.. one quick swoop and everyone is muted for the entire game, heck im pretty sure you can just disable to voice chat on both consoles.

I get that a lot of people have just no interest in MP, but the whole "MP is full of whingy teens and arseholes" is just a nonsensical complaint when its so easy to ignore other players and just play with friends (Unless you have no friends... like me :P).
    Good point, you can disable voice chat easily but surely your missing something then. One of the best things about online MP is being able to communicate with others to formulate strategy, synchronize actions etc. It's just a shame one rarely gets the opportunity amongst the white-nise of "fa&&ot" this and "your mom" that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

My online gaming experience: Halo 3, for about a week. Almost every single match involved being killed again and again and again by one player who was clearly far better than the rest of us, and obviously knew the maps like the back of his/her hand. On the rare occasions that I got a game with similarly-skilled players, it was a blast, but it just didn't happen often enough. So that was that.

If a game doesn't focus on creating a satisfying and lengthy single-player campaign, then I ain't interested.

Though I never heard any foul-mouthed stuff on chat...because I didn't really hear any chat. I could tell people had mics on, but mostly all I ever heard were barely-audible mutterings.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

I dont play online as much as I used to. Sometimes Ill pull an all nighter and go mad online playing but the single player storylines in some of the games Im playing at the moment are just so good, I dont need multiplayer. That and the american teenagers online can be extremely squeaky and annoying.

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »
    Good point, you can disable voice chat easily but surely your missing something then. One of the best things about online MP is being able to communicate with others to formulate strategy, synchronize actions etc. It's just a shame one rarely gets the opportunity amongst the white-nise of "fa&&ot" this and "your mom" that.

Just depends on the game really, I've played quite a bit of COD on PS3 and if im being honest.. its rare that i came across this "white-noise" you speak of, it really is something that's over-exaggerated imo. Maybe its different on Xbox (I have played a bit on Xbox too) but generally there isn't that much chat going on, and if there is its usually between a few mates. I've also a few days played on MW3/BLOPS on the PC and again its even more rare that people start giving out abuse.

With COD probably having the most immature player base... it really isn't all that bad from my experience. Maybe the less skilled players have a harder time, because the only abuse i ever get on pretty much any shooter is the whole "OMG Hackerz!"....

Saying all that.. I've been playing a bit of LoL the last few days, being pretty bad at the game I've had a few people calling me a noob haha... i just laugh it off really. Its just something that's so easy to ignore that missing up the entire experience of MP games because of it is a bit silly imo.

Advertisement