Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Letters coming in for interviews & informal offers. Post here! Mod note 1st post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

Cheers. It was for Physics Technology and also Energy Physics.
    It was from the departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Feu

Thanks Feu. I have travelled alot and spoke about that in my personal statement so I think that would have influenced them as I am told they like mature students who have done some travelling.
    I am excited and nervous at the same time as this is hugely important, would love to know how many others are being interviewed too, they said 10 but I think it is probably a bit more.
    What course did you go for....was the interview casual chatting or are there specific questions they will ask...also is the dress formal?
    Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to mess this up lol x

yeh i think travelling can show that you are open to new things, independent, and curious, all good qualities for a maturo!

I did occupational therapy in TCD - an allied health science - a profession where you mostly work with people with physical or mental disabilities. There was several questions about my experience of disability. But also more general questions on my experience of education, travel, volunteer work, and how i came to be interested in the course.

Their main interest seemed to be ability to support myself through the course, interest in the profession, and knowledge/experience of disability. Of course these are quite specific to a vocational health course!

I would say dress should be smart casual, but don't be afraid to show a bit of personality in your outfit, as you are an individual to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

got offered a place in bess in trinity, quite surprised to be offered without interview, now i just need to find the money to pay fees

wowsers Ronano! That is wonderful, your application must have been impressive! It's a tough course, but a good amount of choice within it, and the option to major etc. Very versatile for a mature student.

Good luck with the funding!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Agree with Feu well done and good luck.....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 HollyRichter

Feu wrote: »
    Thanks Feu. I have travelled alot and spoke about that in my personal statement so I think that would have influenced them as I am told they like mature students who have done some travelling.
    I am excited and nervous at the same time as this is hugely important, would love to know how many others are being interviewed too, they said 10 but I think it is probably a bit more.
    What course did you go for....was the interview casual chatting or are there specific questions they will ask...also is the dress formal?
    Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to mess this up lol x

yeh i think travelling can show that you are open to new things, independent, and curious, all good qualities for a maturo!

I did occupational therapy in TCD - an allied health science - a profession where you mostly work with people with physical or mental disabilities. There was several questions about my experience of disability. But also more general questions on my experience of education, travel, volunteer work, and how i came to be interested in the course.

Their main interest seemed to be ability to support myself through the course, interest in the profession, and knowledge/experience of disability. Of course these are quite specific to a vocational health course!

I would say dress should be smart casual, but don't be afraid to show a bit of personality in your outfit, as you are an individual to them

Cheers for the tips Feu:)
    Yes I have heard that they like to know you can support yourself throughout the course as a lot of mature students tend to drop out because of that. I have been pretty relaxed about the whole application process so far and it seems to be working so I will just keep it up, go in there and be myself and fingers crossed they like me:) It's hard not to be nervous though when its such a big deal, I would be over the moon if I got in....wish me luck:) x

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

I got my denial letter in the post for TCD Theoretical Physics today.
    I wonder why, I am doing really well in my Foundation Science and my application was pretty spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

antkeane wrote: »
    I got my denial letter in the post for TCD Theoretical Physics today.
    I wonder why, I am doing really well in my Foundation Science and my application was pretty spot on.

Give it a month or two and then write and ask them. That is what I did.

Sorry to hear that, but there is always next year. And as someone who got knocked back first time applying, I'm so glad I kept going for my dream. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bayareayogi

Received a letter today offering me an interview for Physiotherapy in Trinity on Thurs 19th April. Anyone have any advice on how to prepare?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

Any news from TCD Social Work yet?
    Today is the last day for applying Access Course for Trinity... I am going to apply anyway...

Well done for everyone who got the offers for interview!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Received a letter today offering me an interview for Physiotherapy in Trinity on Thurs 19th April. Anyone have any advice on how to prepare?

Yep! :)

They just asked me what I had been doing since I completed my leaving cert.

Then asked me to tell them about what I knew about the profession of Physiotherapy.

Then they asked did my previous career have any similarities with Physio. Did I think it would help me on the course.

And just asked how I think I would manage with the workload.

You can PM me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HollyRichter

Guys do any of Ye know if UCD send interview letters for psychology....have an interview with Trinity in April and I know UCC send out letters sometime in April for interviews but not sure about UCD and can't get them on the phone, probably on easter hols...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

That_Guy wrote: »
    Applied for social care courses in Tallaght and DIT.... Haven't heard anything back yet... Should I be a little concerned at this stage?

re tallaght, i had my interview with the humanities dept last year and they were uber late sending out letters. they were like the last ones i heard from. so don't panic yet.
    Larianne wrote: »
    The colleges/universities do not know what way they are placed on your CAO application form, unless you state your preference in your personal statement.

Apologies for posting off-topic.

Best of luck everyone! :)
    chrismon wrote: »
    I got a letter from AIT telling me that my LC points are high enough for two of the course's I applied to, so I don't have to do an interview :).
    What happens now? Do I have to wait till the LC results come out?
    I also have an interview for another course in AIT in late April.
    Exciting times ahead.

yea i got the same last year. no you don't have to wait til the lcs come out. just til the mature student offers. if it was your top choice the cao will send you the formal offer for it :D well done
    No Larianne is correct only the CAO know your preferences, unless a person mentioned them on their HEI application. I stand corrected on this...:o
    Larianne wrote: »
    I stand corrected on the college not knowing your course choices or order of preferences. I emailed the CAO asking can the HEI see your choices and can they decide to not give you a place because of this and got this reply:

So if what people are saying have been said to them/their friends, you can complain about it.

This is ALL news to me. :eek:

on this topic i was SHOCKED when i did my interview to see my list of choices there in the interviewers hands. it made me a little nervous of their opinion of my choices!

i am curious. does anyone know how it works for deferred places. like do i just wait til the mature offers to (hopefully) get my offer of my deffered place

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

got a rejection letter for psychology in NUI Maynooth yesterday, i'm not surprised though. after i did their aptitude test i thought it was one of the easiest i had ever done, the maths was basic and i could do it all in my head, i was a bit disappointed that it was such a low standard as i looked around and there were people having to write it all out and taking ages doing simple questions, if i can do it in 10 mins and someone else takes 25 it's not really a fair reflection of numerical ability? i guess it was just for weeding out the people with a very bad understanding of maths.

i'm pretty sure it was the essay question that brought me down as it was so general, i really expected it to be harder! it was something along the lines of "what does studying pysch in nuim mean to you?" had they asked me to explain my knowledge of a particular aspect of psychology, behavioural/cognitive etc i would have been fine, but i fully did not expect such an "easy" question and as it had been a good few months since i had gone through all the specific modules on the course my essay was rather more general than i think they would have liked, so a little disappointed in that i think i would have done better had the test been "harder", if that makes sense!

have interviews with DCU and Trinity though, has anyone else heard back from DCU, i got a phone call to confirm i was going to the interview and was really not expecting it as i had done a previous undergrad course there (not finished) and kind of messed them around a little bit while i was there :S

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shive25

I have an interview for RCSI and Trinity for physiotherapy, 17th and 18th of April. Really nervous! Trying to anticipate any awkward questions - any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dunner1

hey guys, has anybody heard anything back from TCD or UCC about the interviews for their social work degree, cheers.

Dunner1, I heard - a refusal letter from TCD Social Work a few days ago...

I'm so sorry to hear that Dores, and to everyone else who has had heard back in the negative. Fingers crossed for other courses you applied for, and for next years applications.

there's a lot you can do to beef up your applications between now and next year, Larianne has loads of tips in the Stickies

Thanks Feu. I will try to find out, why I did not get in and apply in next year.
    and follow Larianne's advise about the access courses. Thank you for all your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I've applied for a science degree. I don't think I have to do an interview. Is it just what points I have? I know that my application was a little weak on selling myself in hindsight.

• Advertisement

I really feel for you. I was gutted when I didn't get my first choice, when i first applied. However, it was definitely for the best, i ended up doing the same qualification in a different way. And now I'm fully qualified :) so it can all work out, even if it's not the way you expect

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dunner1

Dores wrote: »
    Dunner1, I heard - a refusal letter from TCD Social Work a few days ago...
    hi Dores, so sorry to hear that, hopefully you will get offered another course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Anyone know if dit social care interviews for level 7 have taken place? my bro hasnt heard anything back

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

Received rejection letter from Trinity this morning for Science. Great way to start the week.
    Ah, if i'm honest, didn't expect it really, and would prefer other choices, but still.

dodged a bullet then :) fingers crossed for other choices!

Maybe so. Have already done interview for Maynooth, went ok i think. Still waiting on DCU to reject me,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dougiex06

peacock169 wrote: »
    Maybe so. Have already done interview for Maynooth, went ok i think. Still waiting on DCU to reject me,:)

I'm waiting on that DCU letter myself, I'm afraid to ring up and get the bad news so I've been just stalking the post man every day. I applied to "physical education and biology" - I felt I had a really good application, the only way I could improve on it would be by having a relevant degree to be honest so if I don't get in with this it's pretty much game over :(!

I heard of a lot of other people getting interviews in dcu for other courses such as multimedia, I'm hoping each school does it at a different time - wishful thinking eh!

I rang them about 10 days ago and was told that dept. had not chosen interviewees yet. was told to expect another 3 weeks from then, so this week or next i would expect. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

I received 3 interviews for TCD, my 1st was for History and political science I didnt feel it went well i received a letter stating i didnt get in but i was on the reserve list. I asked for feedback on the interview and received construtive feedback on my 1st interview. which really helped with my second interview. Last interview is on the 24th of April.
    Still wondering why i havent heard from UCD ? anyone any info on UCD.
    Remember ask for feedback on your Interview it will really help you with future Interviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

sean1976 wrote: »
    I received 3 interviews for TCD, my 1st was for History and political science I didnt feel it went well i received a letter stating i didnt get in but i was on the reserve list. I asked for feedback on the interview and received construtive feedback on my 1st interview. which really helped with my second interview. Last interview is on the 24th of April.
    Still wondering why i havent heard from UCD ? anyone any info on UCD.
    Remember ask for feedback on your Interview it will really help you with future Interviews

Hey, how did you ask for feedback, did you ring them? Also I still havent heard back from UCD either and havent heard of anyone that has

Advertisement