Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

• 14-07-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

RTE CFO speaking at Seanad committee announces that RTE will launch a Saorsat service with spot beam on Ireland of FTA PSB channels from Q2 2011. Presume Astra 28.2 but he didnt say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

RTÉ will be going FTA on satellite? That certainly is interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

slegs wrote: »
    Q2 2011.

If this date is realistic, then all I can say is ........ "Your move, Sky".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Woohoo!!

I wish Sky would let you edit the EPG, as in the order of channels and let you add other channels in to it including recording them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Native content only I presume as rights issues for imports would be a factor in stopping 100% FTA transmission of RTE1 & 2 in their current format. Is "RTE International" back in play then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

Full service was indicated as coverage for last 2% that wont be covered by DTT..it may not be 28.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It will either be FTA RTE International
    or
    FTV Irish TV using "Real Digital TV" viewing card (non-Sky box and cam needed)
    http://realdigitaltv.com/
    Or both.

It's not feasible to have a Spot that only covers Ireland. Even if it's Hotbird Kasat. All of UK would just simply be a bigger dish.

If it's really FTA (not FTV), then someone is deluded into thinking this is possible with kasat on 13E simply because for Internet use there are two spots needed. But Receive Only is not so fussy. If a 45cm Ka dish works in Dundalk or Wexford then all of UK on a 65cm in Wales and 95cm in London.

It will be interesting to see what this is really about. Even RTE only content is problematic for an FTA RTE International.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0714/dtt.html

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/Web-Live.htm

watty wrote: »
    It will either be FTA RTE International
    or
    FTV Irish TV using "Real Digital TV" viewing card (non-Sky box and cam needed)
    http://realdigitaltv.com/
    Or both.

It's not feasible to have a Spot that only covers Ireland. Even if it's Hotbird Kasat. All of UK would just simply be a bigger dish.

If it's really FTA (not FTV), then someone is deluded into thinking this is possible with kasat on 13E simply because for Internet use there are two spots needed. But Receive Only is not so fussy. If a 45cm Ka dish works in Dundalk or Wexford then all of UK on a 65cm in Wales and 95cm in London.

It will be intersting to see what this is really about.

I would suspect its FTV...but he said FTA but then again he is an accountant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Interesting indeed! Still wondering though how are they going to get around the imports rights issue though. A spot beam over Ireland, but not the UK would be well nigh impossible from 28.2E no?!

EDIT: as slegs says above, would have to be FTV to get around this.

It wouldn't be the first time that FTV was confused with FTA. But if FTV is the intention why go on about a spot beam that covers Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This only makes sense if its FTV over the UK why target Ireland?

rte player link to commitee

Someone is asking why use DTT and Sat to cover Ireland.

• Advertisement

Yes Minstrel27,

That's why I wonder if they mean kasat @13E which is due to launch Sept/Oct 2010

KA-SAT_spot_beams_coverage.jpg

It's mainly for Tooway Satellite Internet, but can be used for television.

Needs a Ka Band LNB.
    A combo dish for Ku on 28.2E (UK free TV) and Ka 13E is impossible but very DIY. existing combo is for Ka and Ku both on 13E
    220px-Tooway_satellite_antenna_photo.jpg
    Front LNB is ordinary Ku band.
    The disk is transparent to Ku Band and reflects KaBand.
    The gear on the arm is Ka band LNB and the BUC to transmit for two way on Internet.

A 28E LNB would be offset to west by about 15cm. A larger dish would be needed with that amount of offset even for Sky.

It's possible the idea is to only use the western most (yellow colour) spot and not have 100% Satellite Coverage. That would give satellite coverage to areas hardest for DTT. UK Reception would be very sparse and very few areas

Same colour spots are same frequencies I believe, so as you make your dish bigger to catch out of area signal (like 4m dish for Astra 2D) you are blocked by a closer spot from same satellite with same frequencies.

If they used three spots to give 100% NI and South coverage, then Most of UK could use one or other of the out of area spots.

Conclusion: Fill in ka band spot to complement DTT is possible totally FTA.

Spec would be
    • ka band LNB
    • 45cm dish (really small)
    • Existing HD DVB-S2 (not cheap DVB-s freesat or Lidl) setboxes or IDTVs, but maybe same Saorview EPG/Middleware MHEG5

Right, satellite is a fail safe as much as coverage for the 2% who cannot get a terrestrial signal.

1.5 million a year to run.

DTT better than BBC HD? Anyone like to comment?

The RTÉ guy has just announced that during the World Cup the PQ on RTÉ Two via DTT was better than the PQ on BBC HD via satellite.

This whole thing is a joke.

He has just confirmed Ka Band for satellite.

He confirms Ka band is proposed option for Saorsat

slegs wrote: »
    I would suspect its FTV...but he said FTA but then again he is an accountant
    people all the time confuse fta and ftv when they really mean ftv.

You can be guaranteed whatever it is,if it ever happens [Remember RTE usually take 10 years between announcing something and implementing it...:rolleyes:] that it will require a card tied to a license fee.
    Card switches off if the license isn't paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

SaorSat TV to be on Ka band (usually used in around here for comms, and inter-broadcastor feeds, but used by DirectTV HD in the US). No encryption. Excslusive Ireland "spot" (I assume he means beam/coverage).

To cost RTE €1.5m/year.

Ok,.. It will be one spot then, or at most two?

Of course if the Launch fails ... (the Kasat isn't up yet :( )

Since people are only technically allowed one Dish, I forsee a market for a custom offset Ku 28.2E + Ka 13E dual feed with disqec switch on a 70cm dish.
    No secondary reflector needed.

There will be the possibility also to use SAME dish for Saorsat and €20 a month Tooway 3Mbps Internet with likely 15G cap (790s ping). Tooway Satellite internet will have at least x5 cap and Mobile Pricing if Kasat launch is successful.

One spot will not give good Dublin coverage :) It's a fill in, not universal solution.
    500px-KA-SAT_spot_beams_coverage.jpg
    Far top left "lemon/yellow" spot, or blue spot just beside it
    Terrible map so hard to see exactly.

There may be significant reception ability in N.I., Scotland, parts of Wales, IOM, North west England maybe to Birmingham

Ah go on you tell him! Olivia Mitchell getting practical about project management.

Blimey, somone should send them this forum. Enlightenment.

Yeah, Watty, he's been reasonably clear that SaorSat TV is to address the last 2% who won't get DTT, so that all ties in with your posts.

He's pushing dual-band satellite (Ka and Ku) solutions to get BBC/ITV (i.e. it's not a concern for the public service MUXes).

They're cracking jokes about them (the humans at the committee hearing) aren't able to multiplex. Crackin' stuff.

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote: »
    SaorSat TV to be on Ka band (usually used in around here for comms, and inter-broadcastor feeds, but used by DirectTV HD in the US). No encryption. Excslusive Ireland "spot" (I assume he means beam/coverage).

To cost RTE €1.5m/year.

Cheap compared with running another 30 Relays.

Used by Wild Blue Internet in US. I don't think there really is any apart from test feed here till Eutelsat Kasat (80 spots) and Avanti Hylas are both launched later this year.

See diagrams. The frequency re-use limits people's ability to get out of area as you will only "see" the closest spot of same frequencies. Of course the spots overlap much more than picture if you use 70cm instead of 43cm dish.

This choice in short term makes it harder to get FTA UK satellite if they enforce the one dish rule. Maybe I should start on the Combo Freesat/Saorsat dish/feed design today and be first to market?

Of course ironically the Soarsat means the OFFICIAL tooway dual Ka/Ku Dish gives you two way Internet at Mobile prices and Irish TV and
    Italian, German, Polish, Arabic (44 languages) BBC World News TV
    But NOT UK TV without a special non-standard offset bracket and larger dish!

Bob Collins - a man who can say 100 hundred words when 10 will do. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Maybe I should start on the Combo Freesat/Saorsat dish/feed design today and be first to market?

I'll do your site for a 20% stake!

Maybe I should start on the Combo Freesat/Saorsat dish/feed design today and be first to market?

I will sponsor you Watty :)

Wasn't aware of a one dish rule, what happens if I stick an additional dish on a pole in my back garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I missed the start of the discussion, several speakers said there would be nine channels in the public service mux starting in October, what are the nine channels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This choice in short term makes it harder to get FTA UK satellite if they enforce the one dish rule. Maybe I should start on the Combo Freesat/Saorsat dish/feed design today and be first to market?
    There's a one dish rule? Although could be largely irrelevant (for Saorsat) by the sounds of it here on the east coast...

Am I right in thinking that existing FTA recievers will work, albeit with possible limitations due to no Mheg5? Do any current freesat recievers handle diseqc switches? If they do, and they all allow the addition of nonfreesat services, is this a possible "one box one remote" solution?

Missed it too.. but add in the current 4 and RTE News Now. There was mention of a HD channel as well (which seemed to be RTE HD; showing live GAA in HD, etc.). I don't know if the 9 includes the yet to be approved Irish Film Channel and Oireachtas TV. The minister has to make a call on some of that (not sure how much; but they've referred to that a few times now).

God..
    I'm watching this now... and Bob Collins still thinks there will be commercial dtt

He's in denial and rejects that the process of getting dtt was a disaster.
    Very arrogant.
    Not hard to know he worked for RTE for years and was their director general... and lol he's going back to talk to the 3 parties one vision etc again..

God what do we pay these guys for??

• Advertisement

Feed turned off :mad:

Back on

Gone off again. What the hell are they doing at RTÉ :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement