Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have website appear in google

• 15-08-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

submitted a website to google a week ago, did meta tags,
    anyone got any advice on how to get it to show in searches?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Submitting it only lets Google know that it exists.

It's the content, structure and implementation of the site that lets Google decide whether it's relevant.

Full SEO - particularly on a relatively small site - is tough, but without seeing the site, or what you used to implement it, it's impossible to say whether it has a chance.

As a starting point, make sure it's standards-compliant, has useful page headers in the TITLE tag, uses CSS instead of tables, has all images captioned using ALT & TITLE tags, has sufficient text content that reflects the keywords, and uses "semantic markup".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You could "announce" the website on the free http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/category/website-launch/ - this site appears to be crawled by Google very regularly (I announced a site there and it was listed within 4 hours).
    How did you submit the site? Did you create a XML sitemap and upload it via your Google Webmaster account? Has the site been crawled?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You mention meta tags but bear in mind that google likes good clean sites with proper headings (h1, h2 etc.) that are relevent to the content. Meta tags are not as important as they used to be.

mewso wrote: »
    You mention meta tags but bear in mind that google likes good clean sites with proper headings (h1, h2 etc.) that are relevent to the content. Meta tags are not as important as they used to be.

i.e. "semantic markup" - hierarchial headers that are relevant headers, lists that are lists, paragraphs that are paragraphs, etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    i.e. "semantic markup" - hierarchial headers that are relevant headers, lists that are lists, paragraphs that are paragraphs, etc

Yes indeed but I don't think a few non-semantic divs will ruin your chances too much. Everyone uses them after all.

• Advertisement

Yes indeed but I don't think a few non-semantic divs will ruin your chances too much. Everyone uses them after all.

Oh, no issues there; divs are for layout and functionality.

What I was getting at was that the content needs to be structured properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 StuartC

post a few links and submit to some irish web directories, should show up very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭thecelt

what would be good directories to submit to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

ah jeaysus, that means you have to be neat :(
    this is discrimination against the sloppy developers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭thecelt

i guess i was just being totally impatient with google!

Advertisement