Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 quinch

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2012-08-25+00%3A01+PST+in+GMT%2B1

I believe its a bug on the website, the countdown was set to local time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,631 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kiith wrote: »
    Would i be able to play in the stress test tonight, after only pre-purchasing it today?

Yeah should be fine, you got the download link for the client?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah should be fine, you got the download link for the client?

No, not yet. Hopefully, it'll download quickly for me once i get home.

No, not yet. Hopefully, it'll download quickly for me once i get home.

Yeah its pretty quick, think they are using amazon hosting which is pretty damn fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Damn you all!

The more I read the more I want it.

Think I'll cancel the Amazon pre order and go for the digital d/l now. Hadn't realised head start was Aug 25th, I will be around that weekend......

I was due to start my new fitness regime that week too, guess I can kiss that goodbye :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah, i've been reading up about it some more today as well, and it really does sound fantastic. I can't wait to try the WvWvW, and also just go exploring. I just hope it runs well on my pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Yeah, i've been reading up about it some more today as well, and it really does sound fantastic. I can't wait to try the WvWvW, and also just go exploring. I just hope it runs well on my pc.

What specs do you have? Also, don't let the stress test tonight convince you of the performance of the game, as they said there could be wide spread d/c's or other issues with the game, as it'll be adjusted on the fly tonight.

Ah it'll run grand i'd say. i5, ati 6870, 8gb ram, ssd (though i'm not sure i'll install it on the ssd).

I won't play it much later to be honest, as i really want to keep it all for release. Been looking forward to it for too long to ruin it on the beta.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

As much as im looking forward to the game i cant help but be concerned with what to do @ max lvl.
    Also the dynamic events while enjoyable didnt feel or play fresh at all, it rather felt like rift.
    I cant put my finger on it but i just didnt feel fresh or anything i havent experienced before at all.
    Combat felt nice and smooth, the world seems interesting enough, pvp was fun to a point but here again it didnt feel or play like anything new or different, infact if was as if i was playing warhammer online again.
    Overall i came away from the last beta weekend feeling like i had played rift pve and warhammer pvp, i certainly hoped i would have got more from the beta.
    Ill still purchase for sure mainly because there is no subscription therefore the fear of yet another failed mmo isnt quite so bad when it has no sub.
    Fingers crossed it does infact deliver because one of my favourite genres has been a catalogue of failures in recent times :(

Seems they are tweaking the hell out of it, that or a bunch of people wanna play and its wrecked the system, ahh well its only a stress test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Dcully wrote: »
    As much as im looking forward to the game i cant help but be concerned with what to do @ max lvl.
    Also the dynamic events while enjoyable didnt feel or play fresh at all, it rather felt like rift.
    I cant put my finger on it but i just didnt feel fresh or anything i havent experienced before at all.
    Combat felt nice and smooth, the world seems interesting enough, pvp was fun to a point but here again it didnt feel or play like anything new or different, infact if was as if i was playing warhammer online again.
    Overall i came away from the last beta weekend feeling like i had played rift pve and warhammer pvp, i certainly hoped i would have got more from the beta.
    Ill still purchase for sure mainly because there is no subscription therefore the fear of yet another failed mmo isnt quite so bad when it has no sub.
    Fingers crossed it does infact deliver because one of my favourite genres has been a catalogue of failures in recent times :(

Warhammer Online's PvP was godawful and not really anything like GW2's. Warhammer only had two teams facing off, no strategic depth whatsoever and huge balance issues. It's too early to say how GW2's will pan out, but the two are very different

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I was hoping to try out open world pvp last night.. spent about an hour running around and met one other person... Pity, seemed to be a very quiet night on our server... although wasnt expecting too many on during a mid week single night event, so no worries.

What was interesting was the "effective level 80", I'm not sure its all that people were thinking it was.. Yes your "effective" level is 80 (as in HP etc.), but you keep the same armor, weapons and more importantly skills of your normal pve level. In short, if you walk out there as "real" low level you will be destroyed by higher levels without much issue. So as a level 2 toon I had abysmal armor, a couple of low damage spells and little chance of survival ( I couldnt even kill the mobs enroute :)). I'm glad it has been implemented like that, but my opinion did seem to be contrary to a lot of folks previously, so hopefully this detail is not offputting to them.

It will be interesting to see how they allow pvp'ers to level and gain armor, weapons etc..

I played for about an hour last night, and loved it. Didn't want to play much, as i want it all to be new when it's released, but i really did enjoy what i saw. Has the right feel to it, and ran surprisingly well on my pc.
    Welease wrote: »
    Yes your "effective" level is 80 (as in HP etc.), but you keep the same armor, weapons and more importantly skills of your normal pve level. In short, if you walk out there as "real" low level you will be destroyed by higher levels without much issue.

Don't you get a lvl80 PvP armour set for free?

I was hoping to try out open world pvp last night.. spent about an hour running around and met one other person... Pity, seemed to be a very quiet night on our server... although wasnt expecting too many on during a mid week single night event, so no worries.

What was interesting was the "effective level 80", I'm not sure its all that people were thinking it was.. Yes your "effective" level is 80 (as in HP etc.), but you keep the same armor, weapons and more importantly skills of your normal pve level. In short, if you walk out there as "real" low level you will be destroyed by higher levels without much issue. So as a level 2 toon I had abysmal armor, a couple of low damage spells and little chance of survival ( I couldnt even kill the mobs enroute :)). I'm glad it has been implemented like that, but my opinion did seem to be contrary to a lot of folks previously, so hopefully this detail is not offputting to them.

It will be interesting to see how they allow pvp'ers to level and gain armor, weapons etc..

Well theres the karma system which allows you to buy armor at certain spots in WvW, but yes obviously real lvl 80 players have access to superior weapons and armor

I played for about an hour last night, and loved it. Didn't want to play much, as i want it all to be new when it's released, but i really did enjoy what i saw. Has the right feel to it, and ran surprisingly well on my pc.
    Ahh cool.. I'm looking forward to it.. I'm beginning to wonder was i running around in the wrong area (border areas) and that was the reason for it being empty.. It was interesting to potter around, but no fights..

I didn't.. sounds like I was supposed to go somewhere I didnt then :) I spoke to the training NPC and got his info, then spoke to some other NPC's and they would only allow me to sell items.. Noone offered me armor, and it didnt get automatically swapped.

No biggie.. it would be the spells/skills that would be the main issue.. I havent checked the skills tree's, but I would imagine you would need to be at least level 60+ to make a decent impact.. otherwise your skill catalogue and damage would be very poor in relation to your attackers..

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

In structured pvp you get everything a maxed out lvl 80 would have. Max weapons and jewels to choose from, max armour and maxed trait points and utility and elite skills.

In wvw you only get bumped up to 80. If you don't have traits unlocked you don't get them. If you haven't any utility skills you don't get them. Even if you haven't unlocked weapons skills you need to unlock them. Therefore a true lvl 80 will have a significant advantage over a bumped up low level player. However even a lvl 3 player can have an effect and remember some people will be levelling purely or primarily through wvw

Xeyn wrote: »
    In structured pvp you get everything a maxed out lvl 80 would have. Max weapons and jewels to choose from, max armour and maxed trait points and utility and elite skills.

In wvw you only get bumped up to 80. If you don't have traits unlocked you don't get them. If you haven't any utility skills you don't get them. Even if you haven't unlocked weapons skills you need to unlock them. Therefore a true lvl 80 will have a significant advantage over a bumped up low level player. However even a lvl 3 player can have an effect and remember some people will be levelling purely or primarily through wvw

ahh ok.. well that clears it up.. It's spvp where the full upgrade is done.. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

BURN HIM!!!

Yeah, too much lovey dovey talk coming out of this thread, I think anyone who has more experience with MMORPGs see's this game as nothing new. Even weapon switching was available in Age of Conan.

I'm happy to play this game for a bit, because it is a pick up and play type of game and doesn't demand constant grinding, but I'm not falling victim to the "wow isn't this revolutionary" talk. There is nothing new about guildwars2, in fact it is limited in comparison to the old game.

And anyone who comes on with a kiddie post like "well don't play it then" is missing the point, we are discussing guild wars two here, it's merits and it's faults, not patting each other on the back for pre ordering it.

BURN HIM!!!

Yeah, too much lovey dovey talk coming out of this thread, I think anyone who has more experience with MMORPGs see's this game as nothing new. Even weapon switching was available in Age of Conan.

I'm happy to play this game for a bit, because it is a pick up and play type of game and doesn't demand constant grinding, but I'm not falling victim to the "wow isn't this revolutionary" talk. There is nothing new about guildwars2, in fact it is limited in comparison to the old game.

And anyone who comes on with a kiddie post like "well don't play it then" is missing the point, we are discussing guild wars two here, it's merits and it's faults, not patting each other on the back for pre ordering it.

At the same time I don't think you having a go at people liking the game is fair, just as remarks about people not liking it is fair.

You said there is nothing new in gw2? A combination of innovations whilst not maybe completely original have made quite a unique style when applied together. And the dismissal I the holy trinity is not something I have seen in a main stream mmo before- is that not new?
    No collect and hand in of quests? Haven't seen that before in a game that actually has levelling.

So whilst I have no doubt there will be loads of players that pick it up an hardly play it because it's not for them, saying there is nothing new about gw2 is a little unfair. To me there are problems with gw2, but Gavin a unique feel to it is certainly not one of them.

BURN HIM!!!

One of the main reasons im excited about this game is its pick up and play style with no subscription

• Advertisement

Does it have to be revolutionary in every aspect of the game? Can it not just do what other games have tried, but do them better? And considering the fact that it looks like it does this, and doesn't have a monthly charge, i don't see the problem.

And how is it limited compared to Guild Wars 1? Genuine question, as i've not played GW1.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Warhammer Online's PvP was godawful and not really anything like GW2's. Warhammer only had two teams facing off, no strategic depth whatsoever and huge balance issues. It's too early to say how GW2's will pan out, but the two are very different

My point exactly, GW2 WvWvW felt the same to me which is a bad thing imo.
    Its too early to judge but it was a pure zerfest to me.
    Im looking forward to getting stuck into pve more than anything and playing the game at my pace.

My point exactly, GW2 WvWvW felt the same to me which is a bad thing imo.
    Its too early to judge but it was a pure zerfest to me.

Problem with the betas and stress tests is people havent had a chance to build up the resources to start using the upgrades available for everything in WvW, once these start getting used i dont think zerging is gonna be as prevalent or possible

Problem with the betas and stress tests is people havent had a chance to build up the resources to start using the upgrades available for everything in WvW, once these start getting used i dont think zerging is gonna be as prevalent or possible

I think you might be mistaken :)

In most open world pvp games its generally zerging irrespective of the game until the open world pvp population leaves the game.. AOC, SWTOR, DAOC, Rift, Aion etc. etc. were basically zergests.
    I see GW2 being exactly the same, especially much like DAOC you actually need a large body of people in order to take the keeps etc.
    The fun for the rest of us is killing the zergers in our guild groups etc.. but the majority do seem to be content to roam around in huge assed zergs.

In most open world pvp games its generally zerging irrespective of the game until the open world pvp population leaves the game.. AOC, SWTOR, DAOC, Rift, Aion etc. etc. were basically zergests.
    I see GW2 being exactly the same, especially much like DAOC you actually need a large body of people in order to take the keeps etc.
    The fun for the rest of us is killing the zergers in our guild groups etc.. but the majority do seem to be content to roam around in huge assed zergs.

Have you even looked at the upgrades available? Zerging will be VERY difficult against a fully upgraded castle/keep/whatever that has reinforced doors/walls/emplacements, then theres the waypoints that can be upgraded so you can teleport in forces behind your attackers, and thats just to begin with

You might be correct, but I think there are many guilds out there with a primary focus on WvW, so large guilds will tend to dominate the battlegrounds im sure with a structured approach and mumble etc to aid them. Non offiliated players will no doubt also litter the map and a number will probably follow around bigger groups which will hopefully be a guild coordinated attack.
    So personally I see WvW being a Guild v Guild effort for the most competitive servers which would maybe prompt alliances to form.

Have you even looked at the upgrades available? Zerging will be VERY difficult against a fully upgraded castle/keep/whatever that has reinforced doors/walls/emplacements, then theres the waypoints that can be upgraded so you can teleport in forces behind your attackers, and thats just to begin with

Thats exactly what happened last night. I was on for maybe 40 mins so i thought id just mess around in WvW. We were in eternal battlegrounds and our forces (massive zerg) went to take the main keep. Eventually battered down a wall and got through, we slaughtered some defenders but alot retreated behind second set of walls belonging to the keep. We eventually got through them and assaulted the guild master. Everything seemed to be going well but the guild master (is that the name of the npc?) was pretty strong and in the mean time they resurrected the outter walls effectively trapping our zerg inside, came up behind us and with the help of the NPC's they killed us all.
    So strategy is definitely going to play a big part and will in my opinion always win out against a moderate number advantage.

Xeyn wrote: »
    Thats exactly what happened last night. I was on for maybe 40 mins so i thought id just mess around in WvW. We were in eternal battlegrounds and our forces (massive zerg) went to take the main keep. Eventually battered down a wall and got through, we slaughtered some defenders but alot retreated behind second set of walls belonging to the keep. We eventually got through them and assaulted the guild master. Everything seemed to be going well but the guild master (is that the name of the npc?) was pretty strong and in the mean time they resurrected the outter walls effectively trapping our zerg inside, came up behind us and with the help of the NPC's they killed us all.
    So strategy is definitely going to play a big part and will in my opinion always win out against a moderate number advantage.

Exactly and thats without any of the upgrades that allow for stronger walls and quicker rebuilding.

But thats why I mean it will force zerging.. a guild will not be able to take a keep alone (which is good), so by necessity big guilds, small guilds, solo's, duo's etc. will be required to form up in order to take key point. They will in essence need to zerg to get anything important done.

Hopefully it will end up like the better DAOC servers during relic raids, where people would allow a few better know leaders to lead, and they would control the main force (mass of bodies) on the keep, and get the more formed/pvp ready guilds to run interference, take towers, kill enemy trying to get to the battle etc.. Makes for fun fights, and facilitates everyone..

Either way, we shall see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Does it have to be revolutionary in every aspect of the game? Can it not just do what other games have tried, but do them better? And considering the fact that it looks like it does this, and doesn't have a monthly charge, i don't see the problem.

And how is it limited compared to Guild Wars 1? Genuine question, as i've not played GW1.

In guildwars a character could collect every skill in the game, the amount of choice in potential builds being such that, PvP was a constantly changing environment with team builds dominating, getting countered and eventually dying out.

Same thing in PvE, the amount of skills available led to some of the most innovative and fun solo and team builds which took timing and skill to master 55 SV necro/monk/mez, invinci sin, 120hp dervish, eoe bomb trapping parties, barrage parties?

Everyone thinks removing specific classes from a game is a good thing, I personally think it's a bad thing, people actually like healing, mezing, tanking, dpsing. Placing the onus the individual to heal, mez and dps and possible tank is just watering down the experience.
    In the old guildwars monks were eventually replaced in pve and a lot of PvP by necros, ritualists, dervishes etc, this goes to show that you didn't need to roll a monk to just heal, likewise a monk could just smite if he desired.

Guild wars grew into one of the most complex and rewarding mmorpgs ever made because of one thing choice, which to a large extent is missing from guildwars 2.

...well you asked..

Advertisement