Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

It depends where you are going in Central London. You can get to some places in Central London quicker from Stansted.

The Heathrow Express will get you to Paddington in 15 minutes, whereas the Gatwick Express will get you to Victoria in 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Heathrow may be physically closer although the Heathrow Express is very expensive as opposed to the Gatwick express which is much less.

You could get a tube changing at two stations to get onto the Central line to bring you in to the centre of London which is a pain in the arse with luggage.

Heathrow to South Ealing to Ealing Broadway to Central line= London City Centre area(Bayswater,Oxford Street etc)

http://www.tourstolondon.co.uk/london-underground-map.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Heathrow may be physically closer although the Heathrow Express is very expensive as opposed to the Gatwick express which is much less.

You could get a tube changing at two stations to get onto the Central line to bring you in to the centre of London which is a pain in the arse with luggage.

Heathrow to South Ealing to Ealing Broadway to Central line= London City Centre area(Bayswater,Oxford Street etc)

Heathrow Express isn't expensive considering you get into the heart of London withing 15 mins.

It doesn't really matter which airport you fly into, fly into whichever is cheapest. You can access London in under 30 mins via both also with Luton too, Luton is a mere 20 mins away too by train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There are two trains from Heathrow, the Express and the Heathrow Connect. The Heathrow connect departs every 30 mins, takes 25 minutes and costs £6.90. Both go into Paddington.

In all honesty, you are talking a difference of 30 minutes to get to the west end from any of the airports, so it is best to weigh that up against air fares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

Though if you're coming in to Gatwick, there are trains by First and Southern which are much cheaper (£15 return) than the Gatwick Express (£30 return). And go to more stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I live in London and only ever fly to Heathrow. The other airports are too far away and too much hassle in my opinion. It only costs a few pounds on the tube from there to anywhere on the tube map. Like I go to zone 3 and it costs £1.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

thanks everyone, especially magic marker - never would have thought of looking up googe maps :rolleyes:
    Looks like Heathrow wins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I usually fly into Gatwick these days since it tends to work out cheaper than Heathrow. Heathrow trains take about 15-20 mins to get into the city, Gatwick is about 30!

Is stanstead easy to get from? ryanair are doing a deal at the mo, no taxes and charges!

• Advertisement

Catch the Stanstead Express directly from the airport lower level right to the city and catch a tube from the station to any place in London.

They even sell the train tickets on board, cheaper than anybody else I might add.

https://www.stanstedexpress.com/index.asp?SID={D450D0DE-F73B-4E51-B0AF-C98D719E7612}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

The cheapest place to get a Stansted Express ticket if continuing to Liverpool Street is this address at a cost of £15 single or £21.50 return.

johnfás wrote: »
    The cheapest place to get a Stansted Express ticket if continuing to Liverpool Street is this address at a cost of £15 single or £21.50 return.

Stanstead Express on a Ryanair flight is £10 or £19.50 Return on board which is a 15% reduction from the rgular fare.

I cannot find any Euro prices for it but if you have £'s then buy them in £'s because the exchange is better.

Flying to gatwick is double the price of stanstead thanks 4 ur help everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You can skip the Gatwick Express and just get a local train in, doesn't run as frequently and stops at 2-3 places but is nowhere near the price of the Express

Dont worry Countrygurl,

Not everybody likes replying to threads especially threads which repeat themselves over and over. Most dont mind answering questions as the search option can be a pain because although the words you use are specific it can bring up many strange results.

Im sure you have also heard of backseat modding. Moderators often close down threads and suggest you use a search option or link to the closest thread about the subject you ask about.

You were not ingorant in asking this question. Not everybody is boards.ie savvy or internet savvy.

Here is a little link that may have answered your question. Not really for you but just for the pedantic pats of this world.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Gatwick+or+Stansted+Which+is+Closer%3F

zAbbo wrote: »
    You can skip the Gatwick Express and just get a local train in, doesn't run as frequently and stops at 2-3 places but is nowhere near the price of the Express

That's a very good point. The Waterloo train might take a bit longer, but I believe it is a lot cheaper. I quite often catch it from Clapham junction.
    zAbbo wrote: »
    I think it would, would be very handy as a resource.

That's what i was thinking. I don't mind answering threads, but if people can post tips etc then it would help everyone who does the journey a lot.
    actually gazza i did research and couldn't find a post to answer my question. sorry for my ignorance....
    anyway it has now gone off topic, thanks again to everyone.

These sites may be useful in London.

www.nationalrail.co.uk gives you the times of all trains to Stansted and the local trains to Heathrow, Gatwick and luton Junction (For Luton airport).

www.tfl.gov.uk gives you all the info you will need regarding London transport, it includes Bus, Tram, Tube, DLR, ferry etc. and also gives fairs, ticket options etc etc.

I didn't mean to take the thread off topic, i didn't think the suggestion of a London Sticky would upset people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I now fly into London via London City Airport because you hop on the DLR and you're in the city centre in around 15 minutes and can get almost anywhere then on the Tube system. It also means I don't have to go near the hole that is Heathrow airport which I detest.

gandalf wrote: »
    I now fly into London via London City Airport because you hop on the DLR and you're in the city centre in around 15 minutes and can get almost anywhere then on the Tube system. It also means I don't have to go near the hole that is Heathrow airport which I detest.

Who do you fly with, Cityjet?

i would love to use LCY but i have always found it a very expensive option, especially when you have to do it everyweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Who do you fly with, Cityjet?

i would love to use LCY but i have always found it a very expensive option, especially when you have to do it everyweek.

Cityjet are the only option in there now. BA have pulled out of the route. I head over to London at least once a year and at the weekends the prices aren't too bad. Especially as a day pass for the DLR and Tube is around £6.50 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Following suggestions in the London Airport thread, it was decided by Buffybot and I to give a London sticky a go.

In light of this, I've used that thread to kick off the sticky and removed all the posts discussing the merits of such a sticky. Sorry if that causes anyone any inconveniences.

Anyway, as the subject says, the thread is for Q&As for the Greater London area.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Hi

Hs anyone stayed in an apartment in London - was hoping to get over for a few days in the summer. As we are bringing three kids it gets quite expensive in hotels.

Have found a few online but they seemed to aimed at the business traveller (and priced accordingly) - would prefer if it was not too far out but as long as its hand for public trnsport and reasonably price dI'd be happy.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

Going to London on the May Bank Holiday with 2 other people. Friday till Monday.

Looking for somewhere to stay that is near the city centre that isnt dear but is nice and will have a double&single bed.

If you can recommend hotels, it would be great?.

Also if you can recommend places to eat, visit, go out in, etc, that would be great as well.

Don't think this is the best place for my question above - think there has only been one reply in a week which was another unanswered question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, excellent value right in the heart of Kensington, excellent Hotel restaurant and bar,great coffee houses close by, very close to Harrods, Kensington Gardens and direct tube line to Heathrow. Very very nice area imo.

First link is Hotel official site, second link is Holiday Inn UK where you can get better value rates with breakfast just type in London and when list of hotels come up click on Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, don't confuse with Holiday Inn Kensington which is a different hotel. Expect to pay approx £80-£110 depending on how busy hotel is, but even at £110 exceptioonal value imo.

On the minus side rooms are quite small but generally are in London anyway, perfect though for two adults, anymore than two I would say it is cramped.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/lonhi

http://www.holidayinn.co.uk/h/d/hi/925/en/home

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    Don't think this is the best place for my question above - think there has only been one reply in a week which was another unanswered question.

As a thought, have you considered staying in Windsor?

There are two ways of getting into London from Windsor, via slough, or a direct train into Waterloo which takes 55 minutes. If you fly into Heathrow, there is a direct Bus to Windsor, the

The good thing about Windsor though, is that you have Legoland, which the kids will love and you also have the castle.

Windsor town itself (Which is built around the castle) is a nice place to loose yourself for a day, viewing the castle, a boat trip on the thames, a trip on the Royal Windsor Wheel, laugh at the Penguins at Eton School and then easy for a day trip into London.

Windsor has loads of very good restaurents and, if you are feeling rich, you can even grab a cab and go to a little known greasy spoon in Bray called the "Fat Duck", or watch a show at Windsor Theatre.

Cheers - I had considered Windsor for Legoland but I haven't really looked into it. Sounds like a nice place but I assumed it was expensive - I will look furhter into it.

Scrap that - prices for self catering are insane.

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    Scrap that - prices for self catering are insane.

Bummer. I know it can be expensive at times, but I thought it would be cheaper than London.

I'll have a dig around, see what I can find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 roxy81

I am heading to London in 2 weeks with my mam for pure shopping. We have our flights booked to Heathrow. We have not booked the hotel yet...............thats another area we need help with as this break has crept up on us both.

Basically we need some advice from somebody thats done this before. Between us our sense of direction would not be great so we need an idiots guide to getting around London.

Any hotel suggestions would be great, preferably near the shops would be fantastic?
    Also are the shopping streets easily accessible by tube from the airport?

All help thoroughly appreciated, thanx a mil.

Rox

Advertisement