Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attic conversion: How much for Architect?

• 27-08-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    I have an attic conversion lined up where quotes are coming in at between 13 and 15K including VAT.

I was wondering if I got an architect involved to just spec up to do a minimal amount of work but would just keep my mind at ease, how much should I expect to be paying?

Role of architect would be:
    1. Ensure builder is insulating correctly
    2. Perform on site visit during construction.

Any ideas?

Is there a going rate such as architect usually takes 10%?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cart before horse sort of situation!

I would suggest an architects opinion of what might be sufficient insulation and an attic conversion companies opinion of what might be sufficient insulation will differ! So you may need to re-visit pricing? Will all depend on what regulations/standards you want your attic conversion to meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 attic

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Cart before horse sort of situation!

I would suggest an architects opinion of what might be sufficient insulation and an attic conversion companies opinion of what might be sufficient insulation will differ! So you may need to re-visit pricing? Will all depend on what regulations/standards you want your attic conversion to meet?
    I have chose insulation based on my own research.

I am doing for roof:

1. 150 mm Kingspan TP 10
    +
    2. TW 56 37.5 mm (25 mm insulation, 12.5 mm plasterboard).
    Roof U-value = 0.16 per square metre.

And for walls:

1. Kooltherm K18 102.5mm thickess.
    Wall U value = 0.20.

For windows:
    Velux...
    2 * P10 GPL 3060 (U value=1.3)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

attic wrote: »
    I have chose insulation based on my own research.

Fair enough!

If you have a good idea of the insulation/standards you want (as you seem to) it might be worth getting a structural engineer to specify/inspect structure (and in conjunction look at other work during construction)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 attic

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Fair enough!

If you have a good idea of the insulation/standards you want (as you seem to) it might be worth getting a structural engineer to specify/inspect structure (and in conjunction look at other work during construction)?

It's a non habitable conversion. I got quotes from various tradesmen for it.
    But I was happy to get my architect mate to stick his nose in even if it costs a bit more. I just want to kinda have an idea how much I should pay him?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

moved to prices forum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I know a Consulting engineering firm in Dublin that will inspect the house at all key stages, design any structural members as and when required, and issue certificates of compliance with building regs and planning regs if required for 1k plus VAT.

That should give you an idea of where you should be paying mates rates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

kceire wrote: »
    I know a Consulting engineering firm in Dublin that will inspect the house at all key stages, design any structural members as and when required, and issue certificates of compliance with building regs and planning regs if required for 1k plus VAT.

That should give you an idea of where you should be paying mates rates etc

Can you pm me those details please.

Advertisement