Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safety Razors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

keith16 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thinking of dumping the old cartridges and picking up a safety razor.

Had a read through some of the thread, not really sure where to start tbh, a wealth of info.

Any suggestions for someone starting out? One I picked out from the thread was the Feather AS, but seems a bit pricey and I'm afraid I won't like it and just go back to the cartridges.
    I started with this starter kit as it comes with different blades etc, i found it great to get me into it anyway as its not expensive and will give ya a feel for it
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

I also watched youtube videos on shaving with these types of razors to learn the correct way to do it starting off , i found these videos essential really
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Hi All,

Had a read through some of the thread, not really sure where to start tbh, a wealth of info.

Any suggestions for someone starting out? One I picked out from the thread was the Feather AS, but seems a bit pricey and I'm afraid I won't like it and just go back to the cartridges.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html
    Any of the razors listed as an option in the above starter kit are well suited for learning with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Thanks both, much appreciated. Looking forward to getting started with this and hopefully not ending up looking like I crawled through a mile of barbed wire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Thanks both, much appreciated. Looking forward to getting started with this and hopefully not ending up looking like I crawled through a mile of barbed wire!!
    Just watch the youtube videos i find it especially helpful to make up my shaving foam then do a hot towel wrapped around my face , then put on foam and shave .

The videos i linked to will explain better but the general rule is let the sharp blade do the work leave the razor glide along the face dont put pressure on it.

Best of luck , i though Derby blades were nice to start off with , i use Feather blades mostly now

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

The general rule is let the sharp blade do the work leave the razor glide along the face dont put pressure

I agree 100%. Don't do what I did the first time and think that if you scrape against the grain you will get a totally smooth shave. Never put pressure on these razors. If you shave very lightly once with the grain of your beard, then re-lather and shave very lightly across it, you will get a good result. When you get to know how your razor feels in your hand, you might feel like lathering the stubborn bits again, and shaving against the grain. Very short strokes (what Mantic in his YouTube videos calls "buffing") are best for this.

You're going to be glad you did this. No one ever comes back here to say they regretted it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Hi All,

I bet you €100 you won't go back! For the first time ever I actually look forward to shaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I've also been thinking about ditching my first (and only) razor of 14 years - the Gilette Sensor Excel for a safety razor (i have in many ways ditched it already; the missus complaining is what usually gets me to shave after 3 months of growth!). She jokes i look about 50 with the beard and 20 without, but she's right (i'm actually 29! :D)

A question about safety blades - what kind of availability would they have in high street shops and are they compatible with all safety razors? (think i might get that starter kit with the second razor). I'm also guessing that because it's a single blade and doesn't clog, it'll go through a few months worth of growth without having to trim first? (my facial hair is very thick and when i do have a decent bit of growth i have to trim it with an electric clippers before i can touch it with the wet shave).

Cheers lads (well i assume everyone is in here, for obvious reasons! :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

I've also been thinking about ditching my first (and only) razor of 14 years - the Gilette Sensor Excel for a safety razor (i have in many ways ditched it already; the missus complaining is what usually gets me to shave after 3 months of growth!). She jokes i look about 50 with the beard and 20 without, but she's right (i'm actually 29! :D)

A question about safety blades - what kind of availability would they have in high street shops and are they compatible with all safety razors? (think i might get that starter kit with the second razor). I'm also guessing that because it's a single blade and doesn't clog, it'll go through a few months worth of growth without having to trim first? (my facial hair is very thick and when i do have a decent bit of growth i have to trim it with an electric clippers before i can touch it with the wet shave).

Boots and Tesco's have 10 packs of blades available for about €3.50 but I find them a bit dull. Your best bet is to buy a sample pack of blades like this http://www.shaving.ie/products/50-Blade-Premium-Selection-Sampler.html and find which works best for you. Then bulk buy what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Look in barbers. Almost every one in Carlow sells some kind of blade so you'd be pretty safe in Galway.

All blades fit all safety razors. I prefer Feathers which I buy in bulk from shaving.ie but the blades that Tesco and Boots sell under their own labels are quite all right and Wilkinson Sword are OK too. Don't worry about the blades; just learn to enjoy this kind of shaving first.

I usually throw a blade away after three shaves. But if you are taking off a serious amount of stubble it might be as well to use that blade just the once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I just picked up the Basic Starter Kit from shaving.ie, will post back when it gets delivered and used, just totally sick of buying blades for Mach 3 and it's derivatives at this stage.

I wouldnt have great growth so a shave every two days is generally enough to keep me pretty clean shaven, I do like to shave most days though so hopefully this will make it a bit more enjoyable and save me a few quid along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm also guessing that because it's a single blade and doesn't clog, it'll go through a few months worth of growth without having to trim first? (my facial hair is very thick and when i do have a decent bit of growth i have to trim it with an electric clippers before i can touch it with the wet shave).

Straights are great at literally wiping several months hair. off your face. I go through phases of having a good bit of growth and a straight will just cleave straight through it. A DE will clog with a lot of of hair sometimes - easy to fix just partially unscrew and rinse. But if you regularly go beardy and then clean shave, I recommend a straight for the job. Plus if the straight is sharp enough, you can shape a goatee with one together with a comb.

Don't assume - I got my daughter a vintage Lady Gillette - she loves it, together with a rose scented shaving scream which she thinks smells like Turkish Delight.

Draupnir wrote: »
    I just picked up the Basic Starter Kit from shaving.ie, will post back when it gets delivered and used, just totally sick of buying blades for Mach 3 and it's derivatives at this stage.

I wouldnt have great growth so a shave every two days is generally enough to keep me pretty clean shaven, I do like to shave most days though so hopefully this will make it a bit more enjoyable and save me a few quid along the way.

Open comb razors are also great for removing a serious amount of stubble
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-25c-Open-Comb-Safety-Razor.html

The design means they don't clog as easily as safety bar razors.
    Don't be surprised as shaving becomes not a chore but enjoyable that you'll be shaving much more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I ordered a merkur 34c. I see in the blurb that you need to use a decalcifying solution regularly if you use it with hard water. What is a convenient choice for this? Vinegar?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hitemfrank wrote: »
    For me, the 40's style superspeed was the best vintage Gillette I shave with. I only shaved with a 40's type superspeed, a 50's type superspeed, a Fatboy and a Slim but the 40's SS was definitely my preferred of the four.

Interestingly enough I started off with a Merkur Progress and tried one or two others but I did buy a Superspeed (40's version) at one stage.

I've now completely use the Superspeed and have stopped using the progress altogether now, very happy with it as I got the razor, case and the old blade holder that came with the original kit for 25e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Cabaal wrote: »
    Interestingly enough I started off with a Merkur Progress and tried one or two others but I did buy a Superspeed (40's version) at one stage.

I've now completely use the Superspeed and have stopped using the progress altogether now, very happy with it as I got the razor, case and the old blade holder that came with the original kit for 25e

I started with a Merkur 34c and for some reason kept that instead of the 40's SS for the occasional time I do use a DE these days. If I was to ever move from straight razors back to DE's I'd definitely pick up a 40's SS and have it as my daily razor.

Sounds like you got a nice deal on the SS set.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

I ordered a merkur 34c. I see in the blurb that you need to use a decalcifying solution regularly if you use it with hard water. What is a convenient choice for this? Vinegar?

Why, was this advice in the blurb that comes with a new razor. I got a Mhule R89 from shaving.ie recently and nothing about hard water or any type of water was mentioned. Did the blurb indicate the razor(or blade) can be damaged in any way. The water out my way is v.hard or heavy with limescale which I suspect is a good indication of hard water, maybe this supposition is wrong?

Drakus wrote: »
    Why, was this advice in the blurb that comes with a new razor. I got a Mhule R89 from shaving.ie recently and nothing about hard water or any type of water was mentioned. Did the blurb indicate the razor(or blade) can be damaged in any way. The water out my way is v.hard or heavy with limescale which I suspect is a good indication of hard water, maybe this supposition is wrong?

My guess is that because they have a screw on head to lock the blade in, there is a chance that limescale could build up in the threads.

I honestly don't think there is anything to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It was on one of the sites selling it. It recommended doing it every time the blade was changed as maintenance. Dont remember what the reason it gave was. Maybe just to keep it looking nice!

I suppose the regular maintenance wont harm it but every blade change is a bit of overkill really.

• Advertisement

I use an ultrasonic cleaner (from Aldi) on my two razors every six weeksor so. Just some washing up liquid and warm water. It removes soap scum, watermarks and everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

I have a 34c also have hard water and I just use a soapy nailbrush to clean it. I think the shaving creams leave the residue not the hard water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Ok first time poster in this forum, looking for advice for a razor. Have been looking through this thread and all Im reading is 34c,15c...Aggressive razors etc.

The wife bought me a set a while back but I was disappointed that the blade was a handle for a mach 3 blade if you know the type...Got the soap and brush with it also...

So the soap is nearly run out now and I want to get away from disposables. I don't shave that often, maybe once or at a push twice a week. I have to let stubble grow a bit because I hack the bloody face off me if I don't....

So any suggestions appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Any budget in mind?

Go ahead and spend the € on the 34c - you won't go far wrong. The 42 is worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just finished my third morning shave having moved from the world of Mach3 with a starter kit from shaving.ie.

Only one nick this morning after butchering my face the first day! Lots of practice needed, especially on the angle and remembering not to apply pressure. The mantic videos and this thread are excellent guidance.

Some questions:

Naturally my first few days have been slow shaves as I get used to the new approach. However, as I get more accustomed should the shaving time be similar to what I'm used to with Mach3? Or is it the nature of DE shaving that it takes longer?

How often should I be changing blades? After 3 shaves on "normal" stubble?

Once you have your technique right you should be able to shave pretty quick. Wether it'll be as fast as with a Mach 3 will depend how long a Mach 3 shave takes you really.

I take my time when I'm shaving as I no longer hate doing it so even with a DE I take about 15 minutes from start to finish. I dont want to rush in the mornings.

There is no set time to change a blade. You'll know when it needs changing - it'll start to tug on the stubble instead of cutting it straight away. It will still cut but you should notice it tugging.

Some blades will last longer than others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Thinking of purchasing this as my first safety razor....Am I being ambitious or is it a good enough to start off with....

Any suggestions on the Shaving cream? Is the long handle better or stay with the normal one?

Thanks...

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Luxury-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

mad m wrote: »
    Thinking of purchasing this as my first safety razor....Am I being ambitious or is it a good enough to start off with....

Any suggestions on the Shaving cream? Is the long handle better or stay with the normal one?

Thanks...

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Luxury-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

I've both the long handled and short handled Progress, they are both good razors and there is not much difference. my advice would be to o with the short handled model. As for cream, all those listed as an option are good. From the options in that starter pack, I'd go with Taylor's avocado. It's really down to personal preferences with scent.

The benefit with starting with a Progress is you can dial it down to 1 for the first few shaves whilst you get used to DE shaving.

mad m wrote: »

I started with the long handle and it gave me confidence to try it out at a few different settings, but after a few months I found it a bit heavy and went to a smaller razor, a Merkur 15C. But that was just a whim, and I could have turned down the dial on the Progress to get the same result. So I would recommend the Progress as a starter but perhaps with the shorter (normal) handle. As regards cream, go for Omega which is the same as Proraso but cheaper (mind you, I am waiting for http://www.shaving.ie to get the Proraso Sandalwood cream back in stock).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Right lads, have had two proper shaves in the 5 days since I got my kit, really enjoying it so far but some questions:

1. The cream I got is great, I've been mixing it in a bowl with a small bit of water with my brush and making a lather. Is this the right/best way to be doing it?

2. Should I favour short or long strokes with the razor? Finding that short strokes means I need to re-apply the lather but at least that way I can get a good clean shave.

Advertisement