Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CADETSHIPS 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

I'm half of thinking of giving it a try, so I rang the competition section to see how many army places are going. They said that 21 is the minimum they can take, and they're expecting that it will be similar numbers to last year.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TheBigLt

Just to say, I believe that a chap was in training for the 87th Cadet class 8 hours or so and left, and he wouldn't be the first to leave either. So we can't really say that every candidate picked to begin training is 100% suited. At the end of the day those who see it as a job aren't suited to it, it's the ones who see it as a way of life that are the ones who will last

TheBigLt wrote: »
    Just to say, I believe that a chap was in training for the 87th Cadet class 8 hours or so and left, and he wouldn't be the first to leave either. So we can't really say that every candidate picked to begin training is 100% suited. At the end of the day those who see it as a job aren't suited to it, it's the ones who see it as a way of life that are the ones who will last

Very true. I heard about that exact same guy. At least he quit early and his place was able to be given to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

feeney92 wrote: »
    Sure when I was in the Curragh last year going for the group assestments, a couple of lads left during the night and didnt tell anyone....just shows what happens when people are pushed to do something they dont really want to do themselves........

The strict discipline of loosely falling in in-front of the billets and having to take the used sheets off your own bed by YOURSELF was even too much military life for some people. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Tybalt

Sure when I was in the Curragh last year going for the group assestments, a couple of lads left during the night and didnt tell anyone....just shows what happens when people are pushed to do something they dont really want to do themselves........

Seriously? I can't imagine doing anything like that. Fairly bad thing to do when there may have been someone who really wanted it but just missed out at the psychometric stage who could have done well at stage 2.

I think it might be a better idea to have some kind of induction phase of a few days or week or two see how the top candidates get on in the type of environment. That should make sure the right people go on to training

TheBigLt wrote: »
    I think it might be a better idea to have some kind of induction phase of a few days or week or two see how the top candidates get on in the type of environment. That should make sure the right people go on to training

That's a pretty good idea.

The Australian Defence Forces run pretty much the entire competition for their cadetship's within one week where all of the candidates that met the requirements at application stayed in the academy for 7 days. Day one, fitness test. You fail, home you go. Next day psychometric testing, you fail, home you go. And so on.. At the end of the week after each stage of testing, which is pretty much the same kind of tests that you have to do for a cadetship in the PDF, your'e left with nearly the amount of candidates needed to fill the class.

All of this is done under strict military discipline, reveille, parades, PT, introduction lectures on military life etc. and even getting shown around and shown weapons displays and the likes.

They lose just as much people to quitting because its not for them as they do from the tests. Its a GREAT system. Also, it doesn't leave the candidates in a state of limbo wondering will they get a cadetship or not for nearly half a year.

That's a whole cadetship competition, done and dusted within one week. The PDF are well able to do something similar. They could easily have the psychometric testing done in the gym in the curragh, split the candidates into groups and different groups could rotate between taking tests and doing different things on different days. For example, group A be could be doing group tests on monday, while their buddies in group B are in the gym doing their psychometric tests.

Not only is it quicker, and better for the candidates and the selection process, its probably WAY cheaper too.

The Australian Defence Forces run pretty much the entire competition for their cadetship's within one week where all of the candidates that met the requirements at application stayed in the academy for 7 days. Day one, fitness test. You fail, home you go. Next day psychometric testing, you fail, home you go. And so on.. At the end of the week after each stage of testing, which is pretty much the same kind of tests that you have to do for a cadetship in the PDF, your'e left with nearly the amount of candidates needed to fill the class.

All of this is done under strict military discipline, reveille, parades, PT, introduction lectures on military life etc. and even getting shown around and shown weapons displays and the likes.

They lose just as much people to quitting because its not for them as they do from the tests. Its a GREAT system. Also, it doesn't leave the candidates in a state of limbo wondering will they get a cadetship or not for nearly half a year.

That's a whole cadetship competition, done and dusted within one week. The PDF are well able to do something similar. They could easily have the psychometric testing done in the gym in the curragh, split the candidates into groups and different groups could rotate between taking tests and doing different things on different days. For example, group A be could be doing group tests on monday, while their buddies in group B are in the gym doing their psychometric tests.

Not only is it quicker, and better for the candidates and the selection process, its probably WAY cheaper too.
    Yeah that's the nearest thing to a perfect competition as you can get. It makes sense, but this being Ireland it may happen in,oh lets say, 50 years to never!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

The strict discipline of loosely falling in in-front of the billets and having to take the used sheets off your own bed by YOURSELF was even too much military life for some people. :D

I actually know the story behind this as we we're told about it last year. The lad in question was an ultra marathon runner. When he got to the Curragh to start training, you do some overnight then the next morning you're giving your timetable. On inspection of the timetable he noticed he wouldn't have enough time to continue training for ultra marathons. He made the decision that his training meant more to him than a Cadetship. He decided to leave and the man behind him on the list got a place.

• Advertisement

Gooleybag wrote: »
    I actually know the story behind this as we we're told about it last year. The lad in question was an ultra marathon runner. When he got to the Curragh to start training, you do some overnight then the next morning you're giving your timetable. On inspection of the timetable he noticed he wouldn't have enough time to continue training for ultra marathons. He made the decision that his training meant more to him than a Cadetship. He decided to leave and the man behind him on the list got a place.

No I was talking about the guys that just left during the group stage, not the guy that left when he stared the cadetship. But God isn't mad how rumours spread, I had heard he left because he wouldn't be able to get the time off to train with his GAA club for the first 3 months. The marathon explanation seams much more plausible I must say. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tybalt

Has anyone here had to do a flexibility test during a cadetship competition? And if so what level of flexibility is required?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

What I find hard to believe is that anyone thinks they have time to train like a serious athlete while in their cadets training. I mean, I'm planning to go for it and I know it realistically means stepping back my long term sports training goal by at least a year.

Tybalt wrote: »
    Has anyone here had to do a flexibility test during a cadetship competition? And if so what level of flexibility is required?

I've spoken to people who have done it. Its standard in Army medicals so anybody in the Army will tell you, they just get you to stretch downwards and try to touch your toes etc. Its just tests for the kind of stretches that you would be doing after training normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Lockstep

FWIW, I know a guy who got into the cadetship class a couple of years ago straight out of school. He was VERY good though.

That sounds like a really, really good system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

This is near identical to how the British Army do it, except it's over a 2 day assessment (AOSB Briefing), then a series of 5 day regimental selections (not compulsory, but good to have a regiment sponsor you through the last round) followed by a 5 days assessment (AOSB Main Board). Only differend is the drinks on the last night at main board... if you happen to get caught shagging a female candidate, or lets say you drank too much and piss the bed and exchangedd it with someone elses yet STILL got caught...... you can redeem yourself on the last mornings activities (FINAL ASSAULT COURSE :cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ECSD

Lads if you get past the first stage then your on the right track....its the toughest of all the stages and after doing a cadetship, with all the late nights of cleaning gear, doing night navigation exercises and battle PT's I can honestly say that the toughest thing about it is getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 limboninja

ECSD wrote: »
    Lads if you get past the first stage then your on the right track....its the toughest of all the stages and after doing a cadetship, with all the late nights of cleaning gear, doing night navigation exercises and battle PT's I can honestly say that the toughest thing about it is getting in.

I found the group assessment tough!! its where I fell down last year!! the people who had done it a few times had the edge over the rest of us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

If the worst part of your Cadetship were night nav's, battle PT's and scrubbing kit well then they must be rolling Cadet's in cotton wool down in the Jedi Academy. :D

Thanks for the advice.

How challenging was the training in the cadetschool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ThawkA

[Deleted upon request]

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

limboninja wrote: »
    I found the group assessment tough!! its where I fell down last year!! the people who had done it a few times had the edge over the rest of us!!

The Group Assessment took on big changes last year over previous so no one had any edge over anyone else at the end of the day if you're the right candidate you'll get through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Are you sure?? Where abouts did you find this out? (Dont mean to come accross as snotty or anything)

I speak from experience and it's also in the 2011 Cadetship Information and Rules Booklet...
    2. MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS

a. School Leavers/Non Graduates Army & Air Corps must posses a minimum of Grade C3 in 3 Higher Level papers and Grade D3 in 3 Ordinary/Higher level papers, in a single sitting of the Leaving Certificate Examination.

Each candidate for Army (Line) must possess a minimum of Grade D3 in the following Ordinary/Higher level subjects:
    (1) Mathematics. (2) Irish. (3) English. (4) Third language. (5) Any two Matriculation subjects not already selected.

b. Graduates Army & Air Corps must possess as a minimum Grade D3 in the following Ordinary/Higher level subjects:
    (1) Mathematics (2) Irish or English (3) Any four Matriculation subjects not already selected.

AND
    Must have obtained a recognised degree i.e. a Third Level Degree awarded up to the end of 2004. With effect from 2005 have successfully completed an Honours Bachelor Degree programme at pass or honours level (level 8 of the National Framework of Qualifications).

Section 2.b. makes no reference to a requirement for graduates' to have completed all the required LC subjects in a single sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Capt Blackadder

Gooleybag wrote: »
    The Group Assessment took on big changes last year over previous so no one had any edge over anyone else at the end of the day if you're the right candidate you'll get through

That it did. I wish they'd go ahead and launch the thing already.

I speak from experience and it's also in the 2011 Cadetship Information and Rules Booklet...

Section 2.b. makes no reference to a requirement for graduates' to have completed all the required LC subjects in a single sitting.

So to sum it up, if you have a degree, you also need to have met the LC standards.

For anyone in the situation of having a degree and not having the LC standard met, I reckon you should ring recruitment and see; if you have a degree, can you go and obtain the LC standards on your own accord with another sitting of the subjects that you didn't meet the standard with in the past.

Well, so it begins.

The applications for cadetships are now online.

Anyone know the numbers breakdown yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Defence Forces are now accepting applications for Cadetships as follows:
    Army (Line) - 21 places
    Army (Equitation) - two places
    Air Corps (Pilot) - five places
    Naval Service - 14 places broken down into the following:
    Operations - nine place
    Marine Engineer - four place
    Electrical Engineer - one place

Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Interesting to see so many Naval Cadets. Usually there are a total of about 8.

Advertisement