Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning AVI onto disc in dvd format... like we used to do back in the stoneage

• 02-03-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭

I seem to have had some sort of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" experience when it comes to this.I can't remember how anymore. :(

Can anyone suggest a program to convert AVI to DVD format and an easy way to burn those files to disc? Any instructions would be seriously appreciated too.

I have to do several files over the weekend but in reading up I do not recall this video_ts, audio_ts stuff at all. It's also very important. Any help or nod in the right direction will be hugely appreciated :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭SickBoy

ConvertXtoDVD offer this and there's a trial version available but I think it leaves a watermark....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭corpo3030

There's a good free program called Freemake that will do what you need. It also comes in a paid version which works faster, but the free version is great too. I'd get the free one if I was you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

DVDFlick & it's freeware...
    http://www.dvdflick.net/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've recently found DVDStyler to be very useful in this regard. Not the easiest program to use and it has a tendency to pause for thought fairly often, but it's freeware and it does the job quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

i remember i used dvd shrink in the old days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I used to use Super myself. Will create a DVD complient mpeg file. Use ifoedit to create you dvd vobs. Burn with your fav burning software.
    Not an all in one job but works and is free.
    horse7 wrote: »
    i remember i used dvd shrink in the old days.

That's only for DVD->DVD transcoding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

SickBoy wrote: »
    ConvertXtoDVD offer this and there's a trial version available but I think it leaves a watermark....

+1, it is very easy to use too. Great little programme and will convert most video files to a DVD and I have yet to find something that it can't convert over. A pretty fast PC will do it in around half an hour or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Life savers!:)
    Honestly don't know what I'd do without boards sometimes!

Thanks a million to the lot of ye. I'll have plenty to work with there. I'm downloading dvdflick and convertx to dvd... hopefully I'll refind my memory now on how to burn them, although dvdflick seems to offer to burn them for you from what I can tell. I'll report in when I've managed it. I appreciate all the suggestions. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Life savers!:)
    Honestly don't know what I'd do without boards sometimes!

Thanks a million to the lot of ye. I'll have plenty to work with there. I'm downloading dvdflick and convertx to dvd... hopefully I'll refind my memory now on how to burn them, although dvdflick seems to offer to burn them for you from what I can tell. I'll report in when I've managed it. I appreciate all the suggestions. :)

You can use ImgBurn to burn the resulting content to DVD. ConvertX does come with inbuilt burning functionality, but I reccomend avoiding it (I've found it can cause issues with Windows (stopping burner from working after burn until next reboot at times))

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

mongdesade wrote: »
    DVDFlick & it's freeware...
    http://www.dvdflick.net/

I used this and found is very good. It did also burn to disk and gave an option for adding chapters which was handy as memory of "dvd authoring" has completely evaded me. The contents worked fine in the dvd players Ive tried and the quality was good. The only con was that it was slow...a remake with sock puppets wouldve been quicker to rustle up. It took a good 1.5-2 hrs between encoding and burning on a 700mb avi and my computer is core i7 so fast enough. I'll be using it again though. :)
    Thank you mongdesade!

• Advertisement

I used this and found is very good. It did also burn to disk and gave an option for adding chapters which was handy as memory of "dvd authoring" has completely evaded me. The contents worked fine in the dvd players Ive tried and the quality was good. The only con was that it was slow...a remake with sock puppets wouldve been quicker to rustle up. It took a good 1.5-2 hrs between encoding and burning on a 700mb avi and my computer is core i7 so fast enough. I'll be using it again though. :)
    Thank you mongdesade!

I think Convertx would be faster as it supports multi threading better. A 2 hour video takes me around 45-50 mins to convert. DVDFlick is great for free though :) . If your using a laptop you must ensure that the power options are set to "high performance/lower battery life" if you want to do encoding

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

I used Dvdflick to convert from aiv and burn a movie to a dvd only to find the sound is out of sync to the pictures.
    It fine on laptop, problem only on DVD
    any ideas whats wrong?

The problem seems to be happening when it being converted from aiv to DVD.

I used Dvdflick to convert from aiv and burn a movie to a dvd only to find the sound is out of sync to the pictures.
    It fine on laptop, problem only on DVD
    any ideas whats wrong?

The problem seems to be happening when it being converted from aiv to DVD.

Try re-encoding your video into another format, for a video to go oos after conversion means it is likely to blame.

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Try re-encoding your video into another format, for a video to go oos after conversion means it is likely to blame.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

It was converted to pal, should i just change to NTCH, NTCH-film or mixed.

They are the only other options.

Thanks Nick,

NTSC and Pal have different framerates. It shouldn't affect audio sync though. Try re-encoding the video into say Xvid or h264, you can use something like VirtualDub to do this. Then try encoding with DVDFlick!

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Thanks Nick,

NTSC and Pal have different framerates. It shouldn't affect audio sync though. Try re-encoding the video into say Xvid or h264, you can use something like VirtualDub to do this. Then try encoding with DVDFlick!

Nick

Thanks I'll give that a go.

Advertisement