Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A NOVENA OR PRAYER THAT WORKS

• 27-02-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows of a prayer or novena that works. I'm unemployed for nearly a year now and have been looking and applying for jobs every day. I have been on lots of interviews but have had no luck. Someone said to me pray and it will happen. I had an interview for a job I really wanted last week and came second on the panel meaning I didn't get it, I've been so depressed ever since and my confidence has been kicked out of me.

Thank you:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/novena/jude.htm

Novena to St.Jude, Patron Saint of hopeless cases.

Pray this novena, but my advice is that before you do, go to a good confession, receive the Eucharist that same day receive Eucharist every day for nine days whilst praying the Novena, within these 9 days I would also advise you to fast and read a passage of the Gospel.

Keep your prayer strong and be steadfast in doing the things I invite you to do.

God bless and take care,

Pax Christi,
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

irishhigh wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows of a prayer or novena that works. I'm unemployed for nearly a year now and have been looking and applying for jobs every day. I have been on lots of interviews but have had no luck. Someone said to me pray and it will happen.

Maybe some more practical and pro-active advice that might work...

1. Are you aware of a specific reason why you are an unattractive candidate e.g. you once got caught with your hand in the company tea money? If your references are going to be bad (i.e. a refusal to give a reference), you need to prepare yourself to deal with this. Try to gain some good references, maybe by volunteering somewhere (charity shop, old folk's home, whatever). You can then use these to vouch for your character.
    2. Have you got any feedback about why your interviews have been unsuccessful? Any interviewer should be able to highlight specific problem areas. Don't be shy, give them a ring and ask for feedback.
    3. Are you applying for jobs you are qualified to do or are you looking at jobs which require direction changes/new skills? If the latter, you will likely be competing against people with more experience and you might expect to need more time to land the job you want.
    4. Have you considered doing stuff in the meantime, like a few courses? Anything that improves your CV in any way would be useful, not just now but for the future. What gaps do you have? Computing skills, a language....? Easier said than done but you never know, it might give you the edge you're looking for. Most big libraries will have careers advice centres.
    Most importantly:
    5. Are you walking into job interviews expecting a knockback? Negativity is really easy to detect and if you are sitting with slouched shoulders and a frown, nobody's going to employ you. Or worse, are you going into interviews like they owe you something? Be honest about what attitude you are projecting. Make sure you're smiling and bright, even if inside you are groaning. Try to be positive, tell yourself what a great guy you are before you go in :)

It seems like you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment but you will get to the end and everything will be fine. Good luck.

doctoremma wrote: »

1. Are you aware of a specific reason why you are an unattractive candidate e.g. you once got caught with your hand in the company tea money? If your references are going to be bad (i.e. a refusal to give a reference), you need to prepare yourself to deal with this. Try to gain some good references, maybe by volunteering somewhere (charity shop, old folk's home, whatever). You can then use these to vouch for your character.
    2. Have you got any feedback about why your interviews have been unsuccessful? Any interviewer should be able to highlight specific problem areas. Don't be shy, give them a ring and ask for feedback.
    3. Are you applying for jobs you are qualified to do or are you looking at jobs which require direction changes/new skills? If the latter, you will likely be competing against people with more experience and you might expect to need more time to land the job you want.
    4. Have you considered doing stuff in the meantime, like a few courses? Anything that improves your CV in any way would be useful, not just now but for the future. What gaps do you have? Computing skills, a language....? Easier said than done but you never know, it might give you the edge you're looking for. Most big libraries will have careers advice centres.
    Most importantly:
    5. Are you walking into job interviews expecting a knockback? Negativity is really easy to detect and if you are sitting with slouched shoulders and a frown, nobody's going to employ you. Or worse, are you going into interviews like they owe you something? Be honest about what attitude you are projecting. Make sure you're smiling and bright, even if inside you are groaning. Try to be positive, tell yourself what a great guy you are before you go in :)

It seems like you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment but you will get to the end and everything will be fine. Good luck.

there you go irish high, prayer and action, its seems that the Holy Spirit is already directing you, listen out for his voice, for he inpsires even those who are not of his fold to advise his children without them even knowing it.

God bless you irish high,

Stephen <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭irishhigh

Most importantly:

EXCUSE ME? Don't ever again hint that I stole from my last job! I have a degree in Social Science, General Nursing And a post grad in phlebotomy! I have had very positive feed back from any job interview I have been on and have had my C.V looked over for me! I recieved a scholarship to attend university and my I.T skills are very good. Think before you write and insulting post again!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Would you react like that in an interview?

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Not at all, no one has ever been that rude to me in an interview. All you can do is thank them for there time. I have never had any negitive feed back either. I know that its so many people and so little jobs, but for a comment like that is not called for and missing the point of the thread. The question was does anyone know any prayers, Not can you be as rude as possible with your career advice

EXCUSE ME? Don't ever again hint that I stole from my last job! I have a degree in Social Science, General Nursing And a post grad in phlebotomy! I have had very positive feed back from any job interview I have been on and have had my C.V looked over for me! I recieved a scholarship to attend university and my I.T skills are very good. Think before you write and insulting post again!

No offence intended in the first post at all and a tip - "e.g." means that you are going to make an example, not a specific and true statement. I was simply making a list of things you might try/not have thought of/need encouragement to face, given that we've all faced similar situations at some point. If that's how you respond to positive and well-meaning advice, it's no wonder you don't have a job. I'll not bother trying to help anyone next time.

I would recommend the use of a spell-checker on any documents you submit for job applications. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Not at all, no one has ever been that rude to me in an interview. All you can do is thank them for there time. I have never had any negitive feed back either. I know that its so many people and so little jobs, but for a comment like that is not called for and missing the point of the thread. The question was does anyone know any prayers, Not can you be as rude as possible with your career advice

Way to bite the hand that feeds you. Even if you didn't find that helpful, I did Emma thanks.

Irish High, it appears you picked up doctoremma wrong, it does not appear to me in her text that she implied you stole, only your own conscience according to emmas post could correct you and keep you safe on that one.

I don't feel Emma wrote with any malicious intent or was anywhere near aware of your skills etc etc....

we must remember that we all can do better in no matter what profession we indulge in and that none of us ever really have it covered, being a guitarist for many many years I could never say I've got it covered, but I'm always learning and open to advice, even if most of the advice is not relevant to me.

God bless and take care,
    *waving white flag*
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

5uspect wrote: »

I remember an interview I had years ago for a particular position I though I wanted. I was working but did not like where I was working. All was going well. The interviewer showed me around and talked me through how everything worked and so on and then when we went back to the interview room he said straight to my face: "You're very cynical aren't you?" I went red faced as you can imagine and tried to respond in defense of myself in a kindly and respectful manner and as I was doing so he then said: "No I don't mean cynical, I mean condescending?" Only that I heard that some interviewer's employ tactics like this in order to see how you react I sort of kept shtum and didn't bite the bait (if that's what it was) although I was very close to telling him to shove his job. Anyway I just said that I did not see myself in that light and that everyone is entitled to their opinion and so on. But I could not wait to get out of there. We parted company and shook hands and all that and I went away really pissed off. A few days later the recruitment agency called me and said that out of ten candidates I was their first choice (they probably would say that) and offered me the job but I declined out right. I told him what the interviewer said in the interview and that I would not work for weirdos like that. It taught me one thing at the time, the job I was in wasn't that bad after all and I ended up staying there for another 8 years or so. But yeah, really weird. I was anything but cynical or condescending so he must have been trying to see how I would react. How he had the brass balls to do it is beyond me. Anyway just thought I'd share that with you all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Ha, tis no wonder you aint getting jobs with that attitude.

I remember an interview I had years ago for a particular position I though I wanted. I was working but did not like where I was working. All was going well. The interviewer showed me around and talked me through how everything worked and so on and then when we went back to the interview room he said straight to my face: "You're very cynical aren't you?" I went red faced as you can imagine and tried to respond in defense of myself in a kindly and respectful manner and as I was doing so he then said: "No I don't mean cynical, I mean condescending?" Only that I heard that some interviewer's employ tactics like this in order to see how you react I sort of kept shtum and didn't bite the bait (if that's what it was) although I was very close to telling him to shove his job. Anyway I just said that I did not see myself in that light and that everyone is entitled to their opinion and so on. But I could not wait to get out of there. We parted company and shook hands and all that and I went away really pissed off. A few days later the recruitment agency called me and said that out of ten candidates I was their first choice (they probably would say that) and offered me the job but I declined out right. I told him what the interviewer said in the interview and that I would not work for weirdos like that. It taught me one thing at the time, the job I was in wasn't that bad after all and I ended up staying there for another 8 years or so. But yeah, really weird. I was anything but cynical or condescending so he must have been trying to see how I would react. How he had the brass balls to do it is beyond me. Anyway just thought I'd share that with you all :)
    I've never had a weird interview like that, I've always got on great with the panel, but there is always someone with a bit more experience than me. Nursing jobs are so hard to find and it just gets a bit wearing going to interview after interview. I can't believe I went into a holy forum to ask for a prayer and got dogs abuse from that emma. Anyway thanks for sharing.

stevewr1 wrote: »
    Ha, tis no wonder you aint getting jobs with that attitude.

He/She is in a delicate situation, and I always like my heavenly Father forgive and forget. simply rubbishing His/her posts does not help him/her in any way, we must correct each other with a spirit of gentleness, and doing such a thing on a forum with only words is difficult as most people percieve correction as rejection and shouting with anger.

in fairness to irish high the OP did ask for prayers and that must be credited to him/her

He/She is a good soul He/she means well, we must repay evil with love, repaying evil with evil can only draw out more evil.

God bless you Irish High, and your in my prayers until you get that job, and when you do pm me and let me know.

God bless
    Stephen <3

Can I please just say thank you for SOME of the replies but can we just stick to the thread question.

Thanks

1. As an atheist, it was rather tongue-in-cheek to suggest that I was offering more practical advice than praying - this was intended to counterpoint the prayer request rather than ignore it.

2. The use of "stealing company tea money" is such a ridiculous crime to me that I used it without any serious consideration that someone would think I was making an accusation. I mean, does anyone get caught stealing company tea money? It was the most laughable example for getting a bad reference that came to my head. Like Arthur stealing the Christmas club money in Eastenders. :)

1. As an atheist, it was rather tongue-in-cheek to suggest that I was offering more practical advice than praying - this was intended to couterpoint the prayer request rather than ignore it.

In fairness Emma as an atheist that you are a reply to a thread requesting for prayer to God and help from God was never really your place to begin with seeing as you don't believe.

I dont say that in a condescending tone just so you know. they are just my thoughts on the subject, your post wouldnt of bothered me too much as I learn to scrape off the mould and look for the cheese ( advice of the spirit) but from looking at the ops post, all she asked for was prayer, I would of love to give advice but did not want to detract from the original request and thread topic.

God bless
    *waving two white flags and wearing a helmet now*
    Stephen.

can we just stick to the thread question.

In response to:
    Just wondering if anyone knows of a prayer or novena that works.

No.

He/She is in a delicate situation, and I always like my heavenly Father forgive and forget. simply rubbishing His/her posts does not help him/her in any way, we must correct each other with a spirit of gentleness, and doing such a thing on a forum with only words is difficult as most people percieve correction as rejection and shouting with anger.

in fairness to irish high the OP did ask for prayers and that must be credited to him/her

He/She is a good soul He/she means well, we must repay evil with love, repaying evil with evil can only draw out more evil.

God bless you Irish High, and your in my prayers until you get that job, and when you do pm me and let me know.

God bless
    Stephen <3
    I will of course. your an Angel

In fairness Emma as an atheist that you are a reply to a thread requesting for prayer to God and help from God was never really your place to begin with seeing as you don't believe.

I was checking that all the more obvious bases had been covered. God helps those who help themselves etc etc... :P

I dont say that in a condescending tone just so you know. they are just my thoughts on the subject, your post wouldnt of bothered me too much as I learn to scrape off the mould and look for the cheese ( advice of the spirit) but from looking at the ops post, all she asked for was prayer, I would of love to give advice but did not want to detract from the original request and thread topic.

God bless
    *waving two white flags and wearing a helmet now*
    Stephen.
    Stephen, What is an atheist doing replying to a novena and prayer thread. It's just odd

• Advertisement

I was checking that all the more obvious bases had been covered. God helps those who help themselves etc etc... :P

haha, yes Emma but we must understand that God is not as instant as a cup of nescafe, we must wait in patience for it to come.

we must put God first before we put ourselves, and through doing so God helps us in the most mysterious ways

e.g there was this story of a guy in the desert, and he approaches his spiritual master and says ''I have so much faith in God that I am gonna leave my camel outside untied and have faith in him that the camel will not run away''

the spiritual master said, ''you fool, tie the camel yourself, God will not do for those what those can do for themselves''

but what both of them didnt know is that God inspired both to tie the camel, as scriptures says ''my ways are not your ways''

but if you want a lesson in how NOT to pray then here it is:

a man was down on his knees praying to God, a guy runs up and says ''hey your beard is on fire'' ''I know'' said the man in an angry tone ''but cant you see I'm praying for rain?''

we always expect God to help us in our way but as I've already stated, scriptures say ''my ways are not your ways''.

God bless
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I think that DrEmma offers some good advice. Perhaps point one could have been expressed with a little more diplomacy but there was no malicious intent as far as I can see.

I encourage you to pray. There is no right way to go about it, just do it.

Look Guys,

I have tried everything to find a job and nothing so I'm turning to him AGAIN for help. The first time when my Mother was killed SOme months ago in a car crash and now when I feel like I am on the road to depression. So forgive me If I blew my top with Emma but I'm just really hurting at the moment

I have tried everything to find a job and nothing so I'm turning to him AGAIN for help. The first time when my Mother was killed SOme months ago in a car crash and now when I feel like I am on the road to depression. So forgive me If I blew my top with Emma but I'm just really hurting at the moment

I am sorry to hear that. The last thing you need is hackneyed advice about getting a job when you might be battling with something more serious. Have you seen a doctor or spoken with a therapist/counsellor? Maybe you need to concentrate on feeling good again before you worry about jobs (although I appreciate that getting your head straight doesn't get the mortgage paid).

Anyway, I genuinely didn't intend to give "dogs abuse" although I don't actually know what that is. I'm off this thread. Although I will add that it's odd that you ask the rest of the board to forgive you for blowing your top unecessarily with me....

Look Guys,

I understand, I've lost many people in my life, but losing ones Mother is awful sad and not something I've yet experienced, but I advise you to practice the sacraments, go to a healing mass, get confession from a prudent and prayerful priest in your area, read the Gospels and allow God to heal your wounded soul.

Pray for your beloved mother, and pray to your Spiritual Mother St.Mary for her prayers to God are pure and Holy and he always listens to her.

Give yourself time to breath, go to the adoration of the blessed sacrament, sit with him for a while, for when you do, you are sitting in his ultimate and divine presence, and an hour in sun to get a tan, is the same in sitting in front of Jesus, because our souls get a tanning and healing from him.
    I often call the blessed sacrament the burning bush hehe.

speak to him as you would your best friend, a loving father, tell him your innermost worries and lay them upon him, just pour your heart out to him and await his Holy Kiss of healing.

God bless
    Stephen <3

I understand, I've lost many people in my life, but losing ones Mother is awful sad and not something I've yet experienced, but I advise you to practice the sacraments, go to a healing mass, get confession from a prudent and prayerful priest in your area, read the Gospels and allow God to heal your wounded soul.

Pray for your beloved mother, and pray to your Spiritual Mother St.Mary for her prayers to God are pure and Holy and he always listens to her.

Give yourself time to breath, go to the adoration of the blessed sacrament, sit with him for a while, for when you do, you are sitting in his ultimate and divine presence, and an hour in sun to get a tan, is the same in sitting in front of Jesus, because our souls get a tanning and healing from him.
    I often call the blessed sacrament the burning bush hehe.

speak to him as you would your best friend, a loving father, tell him your innermost worries and lay them upon him, just pour your heart out to him and await his Holy Kiss of healing.

God bless
    Stephen <3
    God Stephen,

This is the first time I've really had a good cry since the accident. I think maybe God mean't for us to talk. I've taken your kind words and advice on board and I'll pray for you too.

I am sorry to hear that. The last thing you need is hackneyed advice about getting a job when you might be battling with something more serious. Have you seen a doctor or spoken with a therapist/counsellor? Maybe you need to concentrate on feeling good again before you worry about jobs (although I appreciate that getting your head straight doesn't get the mortgage paid).

Anyway, I genuinely didn't intend to give "dogs abuse" although I don't actually know what that is. I'm off this thread.

I once heard that a Jewish professor said she was envious of the Catholics sacrament of confession because it was a free session with a pshychologist haha.

well if you do go see a counsellor do try to see one who is Catholic so your religious position will not be harmed in any way. there is a site someone quoted here before I'll try and get it for you.

Pax
    Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: You have to ask yourself firstly, why am I praying?

If you are praying to demand things of God, that isn't the right mindset I don't think. There is no guarantee that God will answer your prayer in the way that you desire. Sometimes our intentions differ to those of God. I thank Him for all the times that He has said no to my prayers. Thinking back, if a few of them were answered they would have been bad rather than good.

Try phrasing your prayers more to appeal to God, with the caveat "If it is your will Father, let x happen in my life". He already knows what is on our mind.

Now you are probably going to say. Why pray at all if God already knows what is on my mind?

The reason is that prayer is something that is also at work within you as a person helping you to persevere.
    Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Rather than thinking what prayer will make God do what I want Him to do. Try letting your requests be known to God, and realise, that He has your prayer in mind, and He will answer it according to His will in time.

He is our Lord, we aren't His.

Jakkass wrote: »
    OP: You have to ask yourself firstly, why am I praying?

If you are praying to demand things of God, that isn't the right mindset I don't think. There is no guarantee that God will answer your prayer in the way that you desire. Sometimes our intentions differ to those of God. I thank Him for all the times that He has said no to my prayers. Thinking back, if a few of them were answered they would have been bad rather than good.

Try phrasing your prayers more to appeal to God, with the caveat "If it is your will Father, let x happen in my life". He already knows what is on our mind.

Now you are probably going to say. Why pray at all if God already knows what is on my mind?

The reason is that prayer is something that is also at work within you as a person helping you to persevere.

Rather than thinking what prayer will make God do what I want Him to do. Try letting your requests be known to God, and realise, that He has your prayer in mind, and He will answer it according to His will in time.

He is our Lord, we aren't His.
    Yeah, I,ve never thought of it like that. It's a good way of putting it. I'm also thankful for unanswered prayers in the past.
    Thank you

• Advertisement

http://www.chastitysf.com/index.html

Here is that site, I mentioned previously, he is a Catholic Pshychologist and his website is all free to browse, let this be your starting point.

God bless
    Stephen

Advertisement