Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auris needs body work!

• 16-08-2008 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi there,

I have a black Toyota Auris which has a white stain on the driver door. The stain is caustic, and came from a leaky pipe in my apartment car park. I tried a couple of household items on it, but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone recommend someone in Dublin who specializes in this type of work? i.e. removing such stains...

Thanks in advance

C
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what household items did you use?

have you contacted the management company for your apartments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

colmmcm got in there before me, what household products? Jif and brillo pads? You should go to a decent motor factors, explain your problem and try some compound or clay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Try some T-Cut. You can get it at Halfords or any motor factors. Goes on and off like a wax and should clear the paintwork of contamination.

I'd say leave it till the management comany sees the damage, they may be liable. no point in showing them the faint mark that may be left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 collym

The management company have said that they'll fork out for it, thank God.

Re: household products.... I used some kitchen worktop cleaner, and a cloth. I also used a brillo pad on a tiny area, it works but it appears to leave scratch marks. So I guess thats not an option.

• Advertisement

don't ever use household cleaners on paintwork, or admit to having done it.

Nuf said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73733

Anything like this ? Have a read

Don't rub it with anything if you can avoid it especially a brillo pad.

I myself would try spraying the area with vinegar, let is sit for a few minutes but don't let it dry and see if it loosens it, two applications then shampoo wash the area.

Yeah, that post from detailingworld.co.uk is exactly what its like. Only on a much smaller scale. I'll try some of the measures suggested in the posts.
    Thanks alot for yer advice lads!

Forgot to say best to dilute the vinegar 50:50 with distilled water rather than applying it neat. See how you go. Let the acidic nature of it do the work rather than rubbing. Rinse down the area with a hose or a watering can using very little pressure, rather than trying to rub it off. The less you touch the paint the less you are going to mark it.

• Advertisement

guys, Toyota black will show up any marks from acidic or abrasive cleaning. leave it to the professionals to repair it, especially as the management company are paying for it and these measures could make things worse.

Can you recommend an "expert" that I can take it to in Dublin?

Colm the pros use a more acidic product than vinegar believe me. What is used is also used to remove concrete and industrial fallout. The type of stuff you need rubber gloves on when using. Makes vinegar look like lemonade.

A 50:50 mix of distilled water & distilled white vinegar is harmless once removed after a minute or two, then the area is shampoo washed. This is the way to remove light water spots from paint and it is recommended by some of the leading pros in the industry. It will do no harm once done properly. Solution not allowed to sit too long and dry out. The area will have to be polished and waxed afterwards but this would be the case with any colour. The most important thing is for the OP not to touch the paint anymore than is possible as it is the friction generated by rubbing the debris and or with a cloth or sponge which does the damage.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80224-paint-clinic.html

that's all true Tom, but as the OP has already attacked the car with Brillo pads and Mr Sheen, the chances of him having proper car shampoo or polish aren't very good

(No offence collym)

Yeh no worries Colm. The car can be polished and waxed later on. It won't look bad, just will not have any paint protection in the meantime. Won't matter for the sake of a few days or weeks. The priority is to get the stuff off the paint as soon as humanly possible before it hardens more and more.

If the op just sprays or pours the mix over the area, rather than touch or rub it with his hands, cloths, sponges nothing, then rinses down the area he cannot make things worse. Will help to loosen and neutralise the contamination. Might have to do 2 or 3 times but as touchlessly as possible. Just leave the brillo pads for pots & pans and mr sheen for the furniture.

Bring it to detailer or someone if you are based in Dublin, cos the average valetor wouldn't be too clued up on this sort of thing. He might do it for free:D or maybe it could cost 50 to 100 quid.

None taken! You're correct, I dont have wax or polish. Can anyone give me a definitive answer??

Go to Detailer.ie
    Northwest Business Park, Blanchardstown
    Phone Andy on (086)3724658

Cheers dude, much appreciated!

Advertisement