Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for Mary Davis, presidential candidate

• 14-06-2011 4:54pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mary Davis, probably best known for her involvement with the Special Olympics, has announced her intention to run for the office of The President of Ireland (http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0526/president.html )

We will be videoing an interview with Mrs Davis next week based on questions put forward on this thread. That video will kick off a dialogue with her on this site over the course of a few days (like we did with Steve Donnelly).

So, if you have questions you would like to hear answers to, we'll put them to the candidate and you'll have a chance to follow up with her next week!! Just post your questions on this thread!

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Interesting idea. I have a question.

Presidential nominees often have themes to their office - particularly Mary Robinson (women, human rights, emigrants) and Mary McAleese (building bridges).
    Some of the nominees so far are building on themes of business and enterprise.

(i)How appropriate does Mary Davis consider the development of Irish business and trade to be for an office like the Presidency?
    (ii)And secondly, what would be the theme of her own Presidency, were she to succeed?

Does she think she stands at an advantage with her name being "Mary" - 3 times the charm and all, 3's the magic number, good luck comes in 3's etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

What cost savings would you bring to the role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Does Mary davis understand the constitutional role of the President? Does she understand what powers the office has? Shas remarked that she would refuse to sign a Budget if she thought it was unfair, does she not understand that a money bill cannot be referred to the Supreme Court and only bills that are deemed unconstitutional can be. Do you plan on wasting taxpayers money by referring every bill you don't like to the Supreme Court?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Do you have a source for the remark? We'll happily probe the extent of her understanding of the powers of the office but I'm not interested in what the americans call Gotcha Politics. I certainly won't be asking questions with derogatory comments built in like the last one you suggest.

I'm interested in pressing the candidates in a fair manner to deliver as much information to the electorate as possible. Winning points is of no interest to me. Just sayin' :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/davis-puts-foot-in-presidential-campaign-with-budget-claim-2673632.html

(I don't think she necessarily needs to answer more questions on it... I think it's clear Mary Davis just hadn't read the rule book. )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I think it would be reasonable to ask her what her opinion is on the recent controversy surrounding David Norris and whether its a smear campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

DeVore wrote: »
    Do you have a source for the remark? We'll happily probe the extent of her understanding of the powers of the office but I'm not interested in what the americans call Gotcha Politics. I certainly won't be asking questions with derogatory comments built in like the last one you suggest.

I'm interested in pressing the candidates in a fair manner to deliver as much information to the electorate as possible. Winning points is of no interest to me. Just sayin' :)

DeV.

Certainly, heres a source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/davis-puts-foot-in-presidential-campaign-with-budget-claim-2673632.html

I also think its a valid question to ask what exactly she deems necessary to refer to the Supreme Court,(perhaps just phrase it in a less loaded manner for me ;)). Doing anything in the courts doesn't come cheap so she has questions to answer regarding this.

And for the record, what I said wasn't derogatory, I didn't attack her character or insult her.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Fair enough, I guess derogatory is too strong, though it was as you term it yourself a "loaded" question, but I have no problem at all asking awkward or difficult questions if they are in the public interest.

Also, when I was asking for a source, I wasn't doubting you, I just want to be able to go in and ask questions with a back up stronger then "some guy on the Internet said you said" :)

To get us back on topic, I guess my questions revolve around what she believes makes her qualified to be the president of Ireland beyond the Special Olympics organisation. That event was fantastic and a real tangible win for the country and the participatants but I need more that a wave of goodwill to elect someone. She most likely has an answer to that but I don't know it so I want to hear it.

So, I'd you had a chance to ask her a question, what is it? Remember, you may well be questioning the next President... I mean, one of them has to win, right?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

A few questions & different wordings

I fully recognise all you have achieved with Special Olympics Ireland, and your work on various boards and the Council of State. However, are you really up to the job of defending the constitution? What qualifies you for the role?

What has been most thorny issue for you serving on the Council of State, and how did you make up your mind on that issue?

What was your advice to the President on the Banks Bill? Should it have been passed? Did we deserve a referendum on the bailout?

Are you ecumenical? [for divilment :D] Would you have a problem attending a protestant service? In the North?

Is Fleishman-Hillard running your campaign? (Husbands works for this PR company)

You are a member of many boards (Irish Sports Council, Broadcast Commission of Ireland, ICS Building Society, Dublin Airport Authority, National Sports Campus Development Authority, and The Irish Times Trust) Why? How much do you earn from them and what skills do you bring to the DAA for instance.

edit (Some of the above might be a bit too Gotcha for your taste. I'd say however we should know what she makes off the boards she belongs to - she's a bit of a collector! I'd say as soon as you mentioned 'boards' you got her attention :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter recently said HERE that
    The programme for Government contains a commitment to reform and modernise aspects of family law. In this context, I want to assure my colleague the recommendations in the Law Reform Commission’s report are under consideration by me and my Department, as are other crucial reforms in the area of family law. Ultimately, it is my hope to publish a family law Bill. In addressing some of the areas of family law, I expect not to be in a position to publish that Bill until next year.

Most commentators (HERE and HERE) and the media (HERE, HERE and HERE) have been enthusiastic about the proposals to grant automatic guardianship to unmarried fathers but do not seem to be aware of the "hidden agenda" of reducing the status of guardianship by removing the need to act jointly (as per Section 6.-(1) of the Guardianship of Infants Act 1964) and so granting full power and control to the custodial parent (usually the mother). The proposals also recommend granting guardianship to people other than parents (aunts, uncles and new partners) and so will further undermine a non residential parent (usually the father).
    Ireland is obliged to alter the current system to allow a child to know and be cared for by its parents by the Convention on the Rights of the Child but reducing the rights of married fathers to create equality for unmarried fathers would be unconstitutional (Why not just grant unmarried fathers the same status as married fathers without reducing the status of married fathers?).
    Also, the repeal (rather than the amendment) of the Guardianship of Infants Act would result in all previous Court Judgements becoming irrelevant, the most powerful being B. Vs B. which emphasised the equality of parents. Judge J. Walsh stated on page 61 as follows:

“The main purpose of the Guardianship of Infants Act, 1964, was to give to both parents of an infant equal rights in guardianship matters. In doing so, it provided a statutory expression of the rights already guaranteed by the Constitution".

He also said

“Section 6 of the Act states the equality of the parents and recognises them as the guardians of the infant; there is nothing in any provision of the Act which purports to confer on the court or any other body the power to displace either one or both of the parents from the position of guardian or guardians”.

Would you allow for such a law to be enacted?

NOTE: Hidden Agenda = Not in the Press Release but in the REPORT
    SUMMARY OF RECOMMENDATION
    4.05 The Commission recommends that a general statutory requirement
    to consult should not be included in legislation concerning parental
    responsibility.

page 45

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MadsL wrote: »
    You are a member of many boards (Irish Sports Council, Broadcast Commission of Ireland, ICS Building Society, Dublin Airport Authority, National Sports Campus Development Authority, and The Irish Times Trust) Why? How much do you earn from them and what skills do you bring to the DAA for instance.

I second this question, the kind of important background info on candidates I think is important. I would also add which if any she would be keeping if elected and if any, why and does she feel it would impact her role as president.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I second this question, the kind of important background info on candidates I think is important. I would also add which if any she would be keeping if elected and if any, why and does she feel it would impact her role as president.

I presume she'd have to resign from all her non presidential roles? :confused:

Good question cookie!

My question is this:
    Who would her preferred nominees to the Council of State be, and why she would chose them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Mary, will you please provide us with some photos for the next Photoshop Competition?

This one is working out fairly well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056298465

Now now, there is a serious side to boards and a frivolous side. I love both , genuinely, but this is the serious side :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

What role do you think the Catholic church should play in Ireland going forward?
    What is your policy on drugs? Is the current system working?
    What is your opinion of the current Age of consent laws in Ireland, is it a fair system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Given the decline in support for people with disabilities, especially school children
    losing more learning support time and the lack of mainstream support for adults with autistic spectrum disorders and the ever looming further cuts in these cases, what would be your position on the rights for people in these areas or lack of rights as it currently is the case,would you sign off on bills taking away more from these areas if you are deemed elected as President of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

With recent leak showing that the government is implicit, or rather ignored the fact, in special rendition flights, meaning that we have long since taken a side in a horrendous International War; what as a President are you going to do to get this country back to "neutral state"?

As the president is role is twofold; maintaining the constitutional rights of the people and being our representative, what are you going to strengthen both those positions?
    Let me elaborate. With the recent annihilation of Ireland's reputation abroad, and the movement by the EU to lower the voice of smaller nations, what are you going to do to make our voice heard in the international community?
    Secondly, with NAMA essentially wiping away the right for the people to decide how government spending is allocated, how are you going to re-enforce people's rights to decide how the government spends our money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

MadsL wrote: »
    A few questions & different wordings

I fully recognise all you have achieved with Special Olympics Ireland, and your work on various boards and the Council of State. However, are you really up to the job of defending the constitution? What qualifies you for the role?

What has been most thorny issue for you serving on the Council of State, and how did you make up your mind on that issue?

What was your advice to the President on the Banks Bill? Should it have been passed? Did we deserve a referendum on the bailout?

Are you ecumenical? [for divilment :D] Would you have a problem attending a protestant service? In the North?

Is Fleishman-Hillard running your campaign? (Husbands works for this PR company)

edit (Some of the above might be a bit too Gotcha for your taste. I'd say however we should know what she makes off the boards she belongs to - she's a bit of a collector! I'd say as soon as you mentioned 'boards' you got her attention :D)

I'd say there is every chance she is ecumenical as her husband is Church of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Delighted to confirm our interview with Mary is on Wednesday morning, so video should be live Thursday or Friday at the latest. Keep the questions coming please :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Should Irish people abroad have a say in who their president is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 demurph

How is you campaign being funded and have any individuals given financial assistance that exceed the current SIPO regulations for political donations?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Question: How will one manage to cope and voice own opinion when limited in voice by government restriction to what matters/topics she can address?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Do you have any criticisms of Mary McAleese's actions in her capacity as president?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Do you believe that gender balancing legislation is the best way to deal with making women more active in politics?

(Do you believe that legislation forcing women into politics cheapens their achievement and would affect their authority to be a TD)? - Same question just more leading.

With a growing Ethnic community in Ireland do you believe that legislation involving positive discrimination should be introduced to reflect this in our political system as well and how would you propose to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thanks folks, all questions now ready for Mary's interview tomorrow.

Cheers

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

WAIT: Deep Dish or Thin Crust?

If it's important to US Republicans... actually, nevermind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Good morning all,

We have the interview processed and uploaded (was just over 45 mins) and you can see it here.

Thanks again everyone for your questions folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Many thanks for asking my questions. Unfortunately I feel she showed quite a limited opinion on both subjects, without a nod to the complexities of both issues or evidence of the current system working. "drugs are bad" and "too available" is too simplistic a way of looking at the problem, she not once considered that IF they are so easily available through criminal elements, then what other problems is that creating.
    Similarily, on the age of consent, she talked about "protecting young people" but did not acknowledge the gender imbalance of the law, or the frankly appalling situation where a 17 and 16 year old can consensually be together and one be branded a rapist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Good interview. It's the longest a video on the net has kept me interested in a long time.

Advertisement