Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Endings [ABC]

• 14-04-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yet another "relationship dramedy"... I was fairly dreading this one but I was actually pleasantly suprised!

It got mixed.. in fact, largely negative.. reviews in the US, but it's got a strong comedic cast and some cracking lines in the opening 2 episodes.

Adam Pally (Max) is the best thing about it by a mile, but he's got some great chemistry with Damon Wayans Jr (Brad), who is the absolute image of his father.

This is definitely worth a watch!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Didn't expect this to get any positive feedback around here at all... I was looking forward to it purely because of the cast, but got 10 minutes into the first episode and found it to be a chore to watch so threw in the towel about then.
    I do agree its a very strong cast, but I don't think that will be enough to draw in the viewers. ABC comedies have generally been weak over the past 5 or 6 years (probably longer) with the exception of Modern Family and The Middle... Everything else they put out just hasn't done it for me...
    But then again, what do I know, I'm probably one of the only people who really likes Mad Love...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Didn't expect this to get any positive feedback around here at all... I was looking forward to it purely because of the cast, but got 10 minutes into the first episode and found it to be a chore to watch so threw in the towel about then.
    Give the second episode a watch actually.. and then see if you feel the same way - I preferred that to the first one.

The uber-gay guy in the second episode is clichéd but quite funny... "DRAAAAAA-MA!".

But then again, what do I know, I'm probably one of the only people who really likes Mad Love...
    I noticed Mad Love creator Matt Tarses is executive producer on this..

.. myself and the other half have given up on 'Mad Love' - it's just not LOL funny but I actually laughed numerous times during 'Happy Ending'.

As I've said, Max is definitely the show-stealer.

If it gets picked up for season 2 I may give it another chance over the summer (but only because its a strong cast and because you've recommended it)... - with Game of Thrones starting this weekend and the return of Doctor Who the following weekend, my tv schedule is becoming fairly crammed as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this the one with Elisha (Jack Bauer's daughter)?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is this the one with Elisha (Jack Bauer's daughter)?
    Yeah, that's the one..

.. she gets kidnapped twice in the pilot! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I seem to remember one of the cast members calling this the next 'Friends'. Bold statement to make, but I'll give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Watched the first episode tonight. Not too bad. Couple of laughs in it. Got me better than outsourced, so I'll give it six or so episodes for it to find it's groove before I make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It has got a second season renewal :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It has got a second season renewal :eek:

Easily explained = Elisha Cuthbert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

naw i think it's because it's actually funny
    Max is the best character and Wayans is the spit of his dad

• Advertisement

I *REALLY* don't get this show??????....it was broadcast out of order, double eps. = burned off quickly....ratings are below average to poor.....but it got renewed?????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Happy_Endings_episodes

It's gotta be Cuthbert shagging someone or it was ultra cheap to renew, i decided to start watching this, seen the first two [in correct production order] i'll lash onto the next two now, but it's no way as funny as Friends With Benefits!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

They're hoping it'll be the next friends.

It's good & I enjoy it, but then Melissa & Joey is my guilty pleasure so I may not be the best judge

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I watched an episode of this on E4 last night... was actually pleasantly surprised, it was quite funny. I might add this to my show list.

ABC has ordered six additional scripts, not episode but it's a clear sign of a full season order: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/10/13/revenge-suburgatory-given-full-season-episode-orders-happy-endings-gets-additional-script-order/107230/

Have caught up on this show now.. and easily one of the best comedies on ABC right now.

Not one weak link in the cast and some very funny dialogue in it!

"Get a tan. You look like the ghost of Tilda Swinton."

Basq wrote: »
    Have caught up on this show now.. and easily one of the best comedies on ABC right now.

Not one weak link in the cast and some very funny dialogue in it!

"Get a tan. You look like the ghost of Tilda Swinton."
    Same here. Never watched it before and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Reckon this is one of the best comedies on the box at the mo. The script is razor sharp, modern, it has good pace, it's clever. Really enjoyed last week's ep. about the hipsters - "Over it!"
    Good, pure entertainment, with only a minimum of sentiment.

This show just gets funnier and funnier.. as under-rated as 'Community' is, even less people seem to know about this.

tumblr_lutq82dITP1qfhg93o1_250.giftumblr_lutq82dITP1qfhg93o2_250.gif
    tumblr_lutq82dITP1qfhg93o5_r1_500.gif

.. and..
    Shuttin' down the fallopes #menopause

Looks like a shoo-in for renewal as well!

Tis looking VERY likely we'll see a third season.......

It is actually a very good and very under-rated show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭brian_t

I missed the start of this show on E4 but I see Channel 4 is starting to show it at 3.35am next Thursday night/Friday morning.

I also see that E4 is showing season 2 immediately it finishes season 1 (starting Dec 8).

"I love you too, you little freak gingie!"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Think I'm going to start watching this after reading this thread :) Sounds like a show I'd like!

It's excellent Your Text Here.. really comes into it's own late in the 1st season.

Finally got around to watching this show and I gotta say it's "Amaazing!"
    Every scene is truly brilliant...
    And Elisha Cuthbert is the best looking woman on the telly box, by a mile...
    Brad is easily my favourite character - the majority of his comedy lies in his reaction to the other characters... Genius...
    I hold this show in as high a regard as I do Community, Parks & Recreation and Cougar Town and I shall not rest until it gets the recognition it deserves...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

Brad is easily my favourite character - the majority of his comedy lies in his reaction to the other characters... Genius...
    I hold this show in as high a regard as I do Community, Parks & Recreation and Cougar Town and I shall not rest until it gets the recognition it deserves...
    Cougar town???? Really your opinion is now null and void

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Hell yeah, Cougar Town is hilarious. Anything with Busy Phillips in it is a must for me though.

halpin17 wrote: »
    Cougar town???? Really your opinion is now null and void

Amazing comedy - very similar style of humour as Happy Endings and Community... First few episodes are a bit dodgy, but once it hits its stride, its brilliant... Don't judge it purely on the fact its called Cougar Town and stars Courtney Cox...
    :cool:

It has one of the strongest comedic casts on TV right now IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Agree with all of this. Even with the bit about Cougar Town, very well written, refreshingly unsentimental. Penny can!

Advertisement