Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best socket sets - Limerick

• 02-08-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend where I could get a good quality socket set preferably in Limerick city but anywhere else in the country for that matter? I wouldn't be using it a lot so don't need a top notch set but having said that don't want something that will break first time I use it. Main thing is value for money followed by reasonable quality. Also if somebody could let me know the brands to look out for and the brands best avoided please? The Halfords sets seem a bit pricey specially as quite a few people mentioned to me that they reckon the quality of their tools can be a bit suspect.

Many thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭guil

i bought a 1'2 inch sealey set in 2004 for around 130, its bein used a lot and nothin has broke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

guil wrote: »
    i bought a 1'2 inch sealey set in 2004 for around 130, its bein used a lot and nothin has broke

Thanks guil. Will keep the name sealey in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got a set in Lidl about 2yrs ago...still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I have the Halford pro set and it was worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend where I could get a good quality socket set preferably in Limerick city but anywhere else in the country for that matter? I wouldn't be using it a lot so don't need a top notch set but having said that don't want something that will break first time I use it. Main thing is value for money followed by reasonable quality. Also if somebody could let me know the brands to look out for and the brands best avoided please? The Halfords sets seem a bit pricey specially as quite a few people mentioned to me that they reckon the quality of their tools can be a bit suspect.

Many thanks in advance for all replies.

Have a 20yr old Halfords set, still going strong. They give a lifetime warranty too. General advice is you're not supposed to use any chromed sockets with power tools, there's some risk the chrome coating will shatter. Splinters in your eye are not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

king dick i jest not or tengtool but are expensive ,but excellent value at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

For value for money the halfords professional kits are excellent, I paid 99 sterling for a 150 piece kit and it's very good. Lifetime warranty too.

Teng are very good but more expensive, hazet also good, have a hazet kit the last 15 years and it's still perfect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Last time I bought a set in Argos. Decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Halford had a set of those spaners with the twisty thing at on end and an open end the other. Think they were about 50-60 Euro, seemed like good value. They are handy to use, you dont have to keep taking the spanner of the nut and it grips all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have a Kamasa set for the past 20 years, I don't use them that much but they're still going strong. I have another set I got from the states, can't remember the name but they're the ones that connect with the side of the bolt rather than the corner - they're good for bolts that are on too tight/damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

The big Halfords set is good value for money but you should wait till they have it on sale. It's regularly on sale at half price.

You should make sure whatever set you go for includes a 1/4'' and 1/2'' set as you'll never need any more.

If you use e-bay you should be able to pick up a very good set for around half the price charged in shops here.
    Sealey are ok but do break if pushed.

I recommend Britool if buying from e-bay. Better quality than Halfords and the same price.

Folks, many thanks for all yer responses all of which are very much appreciated and much much more than I expected. The general consensus is that the Halfords sets are decent enough for the money so thats more than good enough for me. I think I'll wait till the next Halfords sale and buy. In the meantime I will have a quick scout around the hardware stores, motor factors and ebay and if I see one of the other brands mentuoned at a good price I will pick it up. Main reason I'm looking for a set is that I'm appalled at the extortionate rates garages and mechanics charge for labour so going to try and do as much of my own car maintenance as possible. I am limited with what I can o with the set of spanners I have at the moment. As such I would anticipate that it would have paid for itself after the first few jobs.

Lashed wrote: »
    The big Halfords set is good value for money but you should wait till they have it on sale. It's regularly on sale at half price.

Lashed, a tall ask but would you know when the next Halfords half price sale is expected roughly? Do they have them periodically or any such pattern? Also do the sales run for a few days or would they only be for a morning like Next clothing for example? Apologies for bombarding you with all the questions Lashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

Sorry but I'm not sure.
    I was in there a few weeks ago and I'm fairly sure the 120 piece set was around E100 which is good value.
    The sale might still be on.
    If not, have a look and see what they have and you could always ask a member of staff when the next sale is coming up because they have them fairly often as far as I can see although the staff there are pretty useless so they probably won't know.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_177693_langId_-1_categoryId_165572

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Its also worth keeping in mind that most of halfords tools are rebranded Draper tools which are fairly decent, For example look at the the set of ratchet spanners they have on offer and also look at the Draper set, Exactly the same, same box, same spanners, different price!!!

In my opinion though you really get what you pay for regarding tools. I've forked out a lot in the past few years on tools and mainly stay with either Teng or Snap on, both are dear especially snap on but they last and dont get damaged easily unless you abuse them. But for occasional work Draper is good.. I have quiet a few draper tools in my box and they never gave me any hassle and plus they are not that expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got the Halfords Advanced 150 piece Socket/Ratchet Set, as did my mate, another mate got the 120 piece set, none of us have had problems, and we've been doing rough enough work with them.

They have a lifetime warranty, so quality can't be that bad :)

I think I paid around 120 euro for my set when it was on sale at Christmas.

Good selection of spanners, ratchet spanners, extensions, unusual sockets, and small screwdriver heads. incredible value for money. was all I needed to completely dismantle a car.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As I only do little bits to the car, like oil changes, I got these last week.

Halfords Advanced Professional 18 Piece Socket Set 3/8"

or if you want more

Halfords Advanced Professional 120 piece Socket Set

I've only spotted recently that the irish site is up, and you can reserve online for pickup in store...

MarkR wrote: »
    As I only do little bits to the car, like oil changes, I got these last week.

Halfords Advanced Professional 18 Piece Socket Set 3/8"

or if you want more

Halfords Advanced Professional 120 piece Socket Set

I've only spotted recently that the irish site is up, and you can reserve online for pickup in store...

Picked up the 18 piece set during the week MarkR. Spotted the 120 piece set also but as I already have spanners the smaller set should keep me going for the moment and seem to be a good starter set. May pick up a breaker bar and additional pieces in the future if and when needed.

Does anyone have opinions on halfords car parts? Rear shocks in Halfords are 34 euro a piece for my car while other motor factors are at least 60 euro each with them and many are more expensive than this. Somebody told me the some Halfords car parts can pretty low grade (the same guy that seems to have a vendetta against Halfords!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a Metrinch socket and spanner set and it is brilliant.

This set in fact: http://www.caulfieldindustrial.ie/files/productdetail.asp?ProductId=121443&PName=METRINCH+Combination+Socket+%2B+Wrench+Set

I bought it on eBay years ago and paid less than a third of that price including postage from the US.

Metrinch sockets fit both metric and imperial because they are not like normal hexagonal ones which apply their force to the corners of the nut/bolt. They apply force to the side wall. This reduces the chance of rounding the head. If a nut has been rounded at the corners, they can often remove it.

Advertisement