Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue Fee?

• 22-03-2008 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

If you have been rescued by the Coast Guard Helicopter Emergency Services do you have to pay a fee? Would be interested to know if there is a charge and how much it would be? Any insight would be appreciated. I'm not planning anything but just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 here.there

I know if they do an air ambulance run between hospitals or off an island etc they charge a fee and its big money but I don't know about a rescue from a boat / sea

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to be rescued by the chopper, you can relax, you won't get a bill. The lads in the chopper / the company that provide the service are on an annual retainer from the Government. Whether they do 1 call or 1,000 calls in the year, it doesn't matter, they get paid the same. Much the same as when an ambulance comes for you, you don't get billed off us either.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Thanks for that Buzzman...

Phew, that's a relief. My partner was rescued over the weekend and I was wondering if we were to expect a bill. Not that I mind as there is no price on a life but just so I could budget for it. Thanks Again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Glad to hear your happy ending, don't forget the RNLI do great work and depend on donations...(hint);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Actually, while you won't face a bill, it doesn't mean CHC don't get paid extra for the job. The contract they have to provide helo's to the coastguard involves some fixed charges for parts of the contract, plus a 'per hour' charge for actual airtime when one of their helicopters is on a live shout.

This charge was in the region of €6500 per hour last time I was speaking with a CHC pilot about this. That bill is paid for by the coastguard on behalf of the government/taxpayer etc. When the RNLI/Mountain Rescue etc call upon the coastguard to task their helicopter rescource on an operation, the coastguard will oblige if it's available, and pick up the tab....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 here.there

I remember talking to a doctor in Sligo before and he said if they have to use the Coastguard helicopter to get a sick person off an island or down the country the charge was around 5000 euro or so to the hospital. Not sure if thats passed on to the patient or not with VHI etc. Must be free for a sea rescue I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Hmm strange one, think at sea it would be recovered through insurance, like commercial fire charges etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Decieboy

buzzman wrote: »
    If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to be rescued by the chopper, you can relax, you won't get a bill. The lads in the chopper / the company that provide the service are on an annual retainer from the Government. Whether they do 1 call or 1,000 calls in the year, it doesn't matter, they get paid the same. Much the same as when an ambulance comes for you, you don't get billed off us either.

I realise that this is a quote from last year but wonder if it is still relevant today. I took ill at Cork Airport in January and airport staff called for an ambulance that took me to A&E at the South Infirmary Hospital. I was not admitted however and released later that night having been given the all-clear. I subsequently paid my 100 euro A&E bill as I am not a medical card holder. I was therefore surprised this week to receive a bill for 87 euro from the HSE Ambulance Service for use of their ambulance. Does anyone know if I am obliged to pay for this service even though I did not request it?

Thanks.

Advertisement