Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose barrel problem with kj sig p226. Advice needed.

• 08-02-2008 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi,

I am completely new to airsoft and I recently received my very first gun. A
    KJW Sig P226 pistol (all metal).

Now I'm not sure if this is a serious problem or not, but the outer barrel frequently moves slightly when the gun is tilted. It's seems it's loose.

I removed the slide (not having a clue what I was going to do) and was able to get a look at where the outer barrel ends, and sure enough it slides back and forth when I tilt the gun. It's very loose.

I have 0 knowledge on this so I cannot figure out a way to fix it. Is this even fixable at all? I'm worried that I might have caused it. Although when the gun arrived it's slide was pulled forward a bit, enough to expose the spring. Maybe that caused damage?

I would really like to get this sorted and I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Mr.Blue wrote: »
    Hi,

I am completely new to airsoft and I recently received my very first gun. A
    KJW Sig P226 pistol (all metal).

Now I'm not sure if this is a serious problem or not, but the outer barrel frequently moves slightly when the gun is tilted. It's seems it's loose.

I removed the slide (not having a clue what I was going to do) and was able to get a look at where the outer barrel ends, and sure enough it slides back and forth when I tilt the gun. It's very loose.

I have 0 knowledge on this so I cannot figure out a way to fix it. Is this even fixable at all? I'm worried that I might have caused it. Although when the gun arrived it's slide was pulled forward a bit, enough to expose the spring. Maybe that caused damage?

I would really like to get this sorted and I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

its a "floating" barrell
    the return spring might be slack

nice pistol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Mr.Blue

rbd wrote: »
    its a "floating" barrell
    the return spring might be slack

nice pistol
    Oh okay, floating barrel, well i've learned something. I assume it's a common problem then? Are you fairly sure thats the problem with mine though?

Here's the exploded diagram I got in the gun manual:
    GP-KJW-KP01-226-4.jpg
    Just to be sure you all know, the part thats moving is number 16. Looking at it, there doesnt seem be any type of spring near it when all together..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The Barrel on mine moves a bit too but I always assumed it
    was was supposed to. Its never been a problem for me though.
    GBB works fine.

Its my favourite looking GBB. A person I work with owns
    a real steel P229 which is the shorter version of the P226.
    They look and feel identical. (Apart from the stronger spring on the RS)
    The airsoft metal mags feel way better than the cheap ass real steel plastic
    mags that come with the real thing.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    The Barrel on mine moves a bit too but I always assumed it
    was was supposed to. Its never been a problem for me though.
    GBB works fine.

Its my favourite looking GBB. A person I work with owns
    a real steel P229 which is the shorter version of the P226.
    They look and feel identical. (Apart from the stronger spring on the RS)
    The airsoft metal mags feel way better than the cheap ass real steel plastic
    mags that come with the real thing.

~B
    Hmm.. I guess it's normal then. I expected the gun to be more sturdy tbh. I guess the only bad thing about it moving is it makes a clink sound everytime.
    Everything else about it I like though. And I can't believe the power of it!

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

The outer barrel on my KJW P226 is solid as a rock and I've had it for a year now. A full strip of the slide assembly might help, it may just have been installed badly in the factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Mine is the same, it was solid when I got it over a year ago but since the first strip down which I did a day after I got it its been loose. It's the inner and outer barrel rattling against each other beside the hopup unit.

Still works great though and its still my favourite GBB.

It does kind of take away from the realistic feel of the gun.. Even though it seems to be performing alright (as I said), it was mainly the realism I was after when I decided on this gun.

Is the real version prone to this imperfection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Not at all. The real P226 is highly engineered, no rattle. Since myself and a few others don't suffer this problem with theirs it may be a quality control issue with KJW's. Maybe replacing the outer barrel would sort it out? You could buy an aftermarket threaded barrel so you'd have the bonus of being able to use a silencer.

Fiach Dubh wrote: »
    Not at all. The real P226 is highly engineered, no rattle. Since myself and a few others don't suffer this problem with theirs it may be a quality control issue with KJW's. Maybe replacing the outer barrel would sort it out? You could buy an aftermarket threaded barrel so you'd have the bonus of being able to use a silencer.
    Okay well I want to get this sorted. I hate small imperfections and the fact I did not get the quality I'm entitled to.

Think I could get the gun replaced or is something like this usually not covered? Also does anyone have contact info/email for KJW? I'd like to talk to them about it. I shouldnt have to go and buy a new barrel..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I got an aftermarket threaded barrel for mine, it fits alot tighter but there is still a little rattle from the hopup unit moving with the inner barrel against the outer one.

I went back to the old barrel as it cycled quicker with it installed.

• Advertisement

I got an aftermarket threaded barrel for mine, it fits alot tighter but there is still a little rattle from the hopup unit moving with the inner barrel against the outer one.

I went back to the old barrel as it cycled quicker with it installed.
    See what I can't understand.. is how it's possible for some kj p226 pistols to have this and some not at all.. The design of that area with the notches connecting the outer and the inner barrels is surely done the same way with every kj p226.. :confused:

If I do decide to replace the barrel I would prefer to have one the similar to the original. Where could I find one like that? One that does not wobble around of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

Seems I have one of those wobbly KJW P226s too...strange
    The KJW P229 is very sturdy...would recommend it over the P226. Great fun, great blowback and solid as a rock, and I got it for a steal ($60 on ehobby during an auction ;))

I still love the P226 though, as a backup to my backup :D

Guys it's off topic but I'm finding this gun to be very inaccurate.. Didnt notice this over the past few days as I've been focusing on the build quality.

Was shooting at an apple (indoors) from only about 4-5m away and clearly aiming for the very top of it. However all the hits were at the base of the apple! I remember when shooting at a box the results were pretty much the same.. All the shots land below where I'm aiming...

Am I supposed to adjust gun or something? Or is this this bad news...

Nah, you have to adjust the hop up, remove the slide, and you should see a wheel at the end of the inner barrel. adjust it until the bbs fly straight, it's fairly simple to do once you know how to do it (took me ages to do it!)

Yeah I thought so. I did have a quick go at adjusting it earlier but it didnt seem to make a difference. I only moved it to the halfway point.

So I guess it's different for every gun right? Or is there a general position that applies for all p226s?

it depends on the hop unit (I think). you should adjust it until the bbs fly as far as possible. The setting may be different between other P226s and gbbs

Ah right. The instructions on adjusting it in the manual are not very clear. The original position (out of the box) was set to the far left. I guess I'll just keep moving it and testing until it fires straight. Not sure I will be able to spot the changes though..

It's tricky to do this outside but I have a fairly large room with a good quality metal spring back target box (for my airgun). That'll be good for testing the accuracy.

Right well I spent a long time adjusting and testing. It's not making any difference no matter where I set the hop. I was firing at a paper target from quite far away and the hits kept landing below or to the side of where I aimed. After every adjustment, I just got the same result.

What am I doing wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

Bad shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have a KJ M9 and it has the same thing, the front of the slide is quite loose around the outer barrel. Also, fixed hopup:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

The hop up is fixed for .2s is it lethal? I have a full metal one in the post

zero19 wrote: »
    The hop up is fixed for .2s is it lethal? I have a full metal one in the post

Seems more like .12s:rolleyes:, doesn't work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

I have a KJ M9 and it has the same thing, the front of the slide is quite loose around the outer barrel. Also, fixed hopup:eek:

I have a KJW M9 and only discovered how to adjust the hop-up recently. It has no wheel like most hop up units, there is a tiny hole on the unit with a 1-1.5mm allen head that can be turned to adjust the hop-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Yup, the HFC M9 is the same

I have a KJW M9 and only discovered how to adjust the hop-up recently. It has no wheel like most hop up units, there is a tiny hole on the unit with a 1-1.5mm allen head that can be turned to adjust the hop-up.

Where? Cant find it? Mines actually a Umarex rebrand so maybe it lacks the adjustment feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

Where? Cant find it? Mines actually a Umarex rebrand so maybe it lacks the adjustment feature.
    First you remove the slide. At the end of the recoil spring there is a piece of galvanized looking metal about 25mm long (the hop-up unit) with a tiny hole on top of it, that is the hop-up adjustment point.

Advertisement