Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLS couriers

• 15-08-2006 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Yes, them.

I ordered a lens from a German camera supplier (Digital Wonder World), which was eventually dispatched to me via GLS. Having done some googling on the company over the past few days, I've read nothing but horror stories about their service.

To cut a long story short, my package has seemingly been bounced around depots and has sat in one for the past five days, but as the depot numberings in their package tracker is their own internal numbering, as opposed to the numbering in a list of their depots that they have available, so I have no idea where my lens is being held. As I'm travelling to the US for two months on Friday coming, I really would like to get this lens before I depart. And as such, has anyone actual contact numbers that will work or a link to depot lists that will give the numbering of the ones listed in their package tracker?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Ordered some computer equipment from Dabs.com (about €650 worth), their courier in dublin was GLS, their delivery driver left just stuff in the porch of the house and drove away.

I use An Post now, when they don't get an answer from the house, they have the sense to take the goods back to their depot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

they have a warehouse in Blanch GLS

General Logistics Systems
    Ireland
    Unit 47 Rosemount Business Park
    Ballycoolin
    Dublin 11 (Ireland)

Telephone: +353 1 8606-200
    Fax: +353 1 8606-251

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 danublue

How about a company that does not deliver to rural Ireland? Over a number of years I have had to drive to various locations to pick up parcels from this company as they do not deliver other than to main road locations. At the moment they have a parcel of mine that they will not deliver because I live in a rural area, they argue that the postal address is wrong! The parcel arrived with them five days ago, I paid for express door to door delivery. I could have gone and got the goods the time it has taken GLS.
    Danublue

• Registered Users Posts: 23 maryd26

Hmm... my boyfriend bought a lens which was supposedly signed for and delivered, but not his signature and nobody was in the house at the time... anybody know anything about what level of insurance they have and the like? It was ordered from England, and via Parcelforce then GLS, but I'm not sure whether insurance was actually purchased. I don't think it should be needed in the circumstances though...
    Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hot_cur

ordered bike part in England 3 times, each time order end up being sent back was told to make sure your phone number is with order, but this did me no good. I have emailed the royal mail (parcelforce) and made a complaint about GLS. But you can take this company to the small claims court it cost 9.00 euro but the main problem is the drivers are all nonnatlions and cannot find there way around. if I was you I'd take it to the small claims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I recently had a package "sent" via this company. All i can say is they appear to be absolute cowboys, firstly they said that they attempted delivery but that it was a wrong address (its the address i put on every other bit of mail and courier stuff and they seem to find my "invisible" house).

After this they said it was missing, so i rang them up. After 45 mins on hold they said that they lost the parcel and didnt even apologise. Really a poor poor excuse for a courier and they must be by far the cheapest out there otherwise i dont know why anybody would use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They delivered an item to me that was shipped from the US. It arrived soaking wet and badly damaged and 18 days late!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Last summer I ordered a dog bed from Zooplus.ie (.ie but really in Germany) The parcel spent a fortnight going around a depot in Germany.I really had hassle trying to get it.
    GLS Ireland just kicked to touch and said it had nothing to do with them as it was in Germany.
    Zooplus said they were trying but only moved when I threatened to charge back my card.
    When the parcel arrived(about a month after dispatch) it appeared as if a truck had driven over it - literally,the cardboard box was destroyed and bound up with tape.Luckily the dog bed was soft and in a heavy plastic bag so it was fine,but how any company could let out a parcel in the state it was in is beyond me.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Oceana2u

I have been trying to find out how good/bad GLS are since yesterday as I am just about to open an account with them to deliver my products to the UK and Ireland. I had hoped they had improved since a few years ago when they were notorious for being bad. Needless to say I will not be signing up with them after reading this.

No customers should have to put up with this consistently high level of incompetency described above and in so many other discussions I have now found. But more importantly no company should allow its own products to be shipped in such an irresponsible manner.

At the end of the day a company will survive while providing this kind of nonsense service ONLY because it gets away with it. And it gets away with it ONLY because its customers do not protest enough to the right targets.

If every dissatisfied customer did at least one of the following this rubbish service would soon either go to the wall or be forced to get its act together:

GOLDEN RULE: Keep a diary for every transaction over the internet, for example record each event, each effort you made to rectify the situation, whatever you were told each time, and the name of the person who dealt with you on each occasion, etc. This kind of record carries a lot of weight in a court, or even when applying to Paypal, etc. for a credit card chargeback.

1. After the situation has eventually been rectified (i.e. chargeback, delivery finally arrived etc.) write to the company from whom you purchased the product describing your experience with GLS. This carries more weight AFTER the situation has been rectified as emotions are running high during the event and the company will put your complaint down to your anger/frustration, etc. However, receiving a calm, collected complaint after the issue has died down cannot be dismissed so easily.

2. Send a copy of the above letter to GLS Head Office.

3. Write to Customer Affairs describing your experience and enclosing a copy of your "diary of events".

4. Go to the Small Claims Court to recover any losses or costs to you. This will only cost you a nominal fee (9 Euros or thereabouts) which will be reimbursed if you win. Remember that there are very strong and clear EU and US based rules regarding internet trading and a seller's liabilities, the most important being that regardless of geography internet traders have automatic legally binding commitments to adhere to - regardless of what they may wish to write in their own Terms and Conditionss.

You may feel that your single complaint will make no difference but the power is in numbers and all the above would soon react strongly if they were receiving regular written complaints about the same company.

For more on your rights as an eCommerce customer the IIA (Irish Internet Association) has a very useful and clear guide.

Oceana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Oceana2u wrote: »
    Needless to say I will not be signing up with them after reading this.

Good choice. I'd avoid any company that only offer GLS for delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks for reminding me.....I had another episode recently.

I sent 2 Zippo lighters for repairs.Zippo USA sent them to their European repair centre in Germany(why they just couldn't repair them in the US I don't know)

Germany seems to like GLS because my lighters were returned via them.

The packet was left on a neighbours doorstep,my house number was clearly on the envelope and just around the corner literally from where it was left(there was someone in all day here)

Luckily I have decent neighbours

I checked the tracking number - it had some fictitious name as having signed for it

I complained by email to GLS and Zippo : no response.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

Well interlink/dpd just lost a 37" TV I was due. It left Athlone due for Limerick but never appeared. It was the second TV that week! So I guess its not just GLS that are completely incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

And to that, I had an absolutely atrocious experience with UPS lately. Is there no reliable, decent courier company? It took UPS 10 days to get something to me that was 'guaranteed' in 2, and only after I rang them twice and gave them instructions to a massive government building in the center of Galway City they said they'd never heard of and couldn't find (the county Council).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If its any good, we use Fastway for all Irish deliveries and its rare to have a complaint. All goods must be signed for by the recipient, but fastway will not accept a parcel from us unless we have a mobile / daytime number for the recipient - this way the courier with the goods can contact the recipient before delivery to ensure its delivered properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bikebits

these guys are the worst people i have ever dealt with it years. i had a package which was left in their ware house for two weeks. It was sent by parcel force and after i got the tracking number i could see that it was stuck in the warehouse. But it was obvious from the e-mails and phone calls i had with them that they had no idea where it was in their warehouse. Eventually when i refused to get off the phone from their call center and insisted in speaking to someone in the warehouse did I eventually get them to go and find the package and tell me when its was in their hands was i able to get it into a van and delivered. i got a multiple of excuses, no phone number, not enough information on address etc etc. eventaully I got the package, it was dropped into the garage the following evening, with no phone call from courier driver and no one signed for it. So much for all the excuses why they couldn't deliver. The people on the other end of the phone were no where near help full either , Thats probably because they get endless abuse from irrate customers and just don't give a crap about there job anymore. To be honest i dont know how any one in this age of technologhy could run a courier buisness so irresponspibly bad and not do anything about it. How hard can it be?? I think when i started referring the woman on the phone to the achievements of the pony express and how their company failed to come anywhere near that level service even though there was 200 years of progress in the postal service since then did total communication break down i got my package all be two weeks later, lots of calls, waiting, e-mails etc. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Brint

jor el wrote: »
    Good choice. I'd avoid any company that only offer GLS for delivery.
    Me too - they are absolutely retarded. Beyond incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

GLS are a joke.
    i ordered parts from Slovakia, and tracked them on the net.
    They arrived in Ireland to the depot but never arrived to Rural ireland to me.
    After many calls and emails, I rang them up, and told them to FOOKING deliver the goods in the next 24hrs or i would drive up to them and it would not be pretty if i have to come into their depot.
    low and behold........the next day - a van arrives!
    The gentle art of persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭La Madame

I never got something through GLS, An Post and UPS seem to be ok for shipments from Germany - INTERLINK / DPD at least in Co. Cork if you do not want to go mental - HANDS OFF - the Company is run by Aliens who want to destroy mankind!

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

La Madame I warned you in another thread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Glumpy

Thanks for the information everyone - I was about to use GLS for a delivery to some friends.
    It seems to be a service that most couriers have a real problem supplying for some reason :confused:

I see someone recommends Fastway. Are there any other couriers that have done a good job for anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Glumpy wrote: »
    Thanks for the information everyone - I was about to use GLS for a delivery to some friends.
    It seems to be a service that most couriers have a real problem supplying for some reason :confused:

I see someone recommends Fastway. Are there any other couriers that have done a good job for anyone?

you might want to be aware that any previous comments in this thread are two years old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

danublue wrote: »
    How about a company that does not deliver to rural Ireland? Over a number of years I have had to drive to various locations to pick up parcels from this company as they do not deliver other than to main road locations. At the moment they have a parcel of mine that they will not deliver because I live in a rural area, they argue that the postal address is wrong! The parcel arrived with them five days ago, I paid for express door to door delivery. I could have gone and got the goods the time it has taken GLS.
    Danublue

I have driven over 5 miles to meet these guys in car parks... worst ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I would recommend Nightline, UPS, DHL, Fast Way or Interlink;) Nightline my preference drivers are friendly and everything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

GLS are a joke, I will make a point of never having anything delivered through them again. Ordered a Stereo from eBay not so long ago, web tracker kept saying it was delivered, but I certainly didn't have it. They were useless on the phone, hardly spoke English (same as the delivery driver who I contacted). Turns out my package ended up in a HARDWARE STORE 50 miles away. Eventually the driver picked up the wrongly delivered package, and delivered it to the NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOUR (Who I don't know, as it wasn't my home address I was getting it delivered to) without informing me. Eventually the neighbours (students :D) copped that they had a parcel for me and dropped it in

NEVER AGAIN :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Ordered a halloween costume last year in loads of time! It was guaranteed delivery to ireland in 2 days! Rand the company who told me it was delivered to ireland and GLS had it! 3 Days later no sign of it and it was the day of the halloween party! I had to ring gls...discovered they had driven by my door with it going from the dublin depot to the carlow depot and was left there! I had to drive to carlow and go in and get my own parcel and drive home again and get ready for my mates party! Never again!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

GLS (standing for Got Lost Somewhere) come up with some real howlers on their tracking information. I've had a few where it stated that there was no-one at home so the item was returned to the warehouse. There's always someone here! Items have been returned to the warehouse due to an incorrect address, but somehow turn up a couple of days later without anyone asking where we are. There's never been an incorrect address on any of the packages, all even having a phone number on.

Occasionally they do get it right and a prompt delivery occurs.

Sometimes the rest of the couriers can be just as bad - perhaps it's down to lack of postcodes or new drivers behind schedule coming up with an excuse after a long day on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Yeh....after paying €1600 for a guitar from the UK, Parcelforce over there decided to use GLS.

These muppets could not find my address and then after 10 days sent the guitar back to the UK. Then it got lost and i am pulling out my hair trying to get the insurance back from the seller.

I don't know why they didn't ring my phone number to find exactly where i live. Maybe they employ a lot of non-english speaking drivers who cannot ask for f**kin' directions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

If they are leaving stuff on your doorstep without a valid signature. Claim you never got it. Go to small claims court and hurt them. Its ridiculous that they would leave important things just sitting outside your door. I know this is dishonest but its the only way you will get them to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeh....after paying €1600 for a guitar from the UK, Parcelforce over there decided to use GLS.

Royal Mail own GLS, and also Parcelforce, so anything that's sent by Parcelforce will end up in the hands of GLS here. As such, avoid any UK company that uses Parcelforce (and tell them this) and also avoid anyone who specifically states they use GLS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

GLS customer service sucks. The delivery guy that came to my door was very rude also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement