Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Convert Commercial to Passenger

• 21-08-2008 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If I wanted to convert a Commerical VW Golf Van to a Passenger Car what costs would I incur: It is already on Irish plates.

New VRT Rate?
    New Tax Rate?
    Would it need to be re-registered?

Cheers,

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm not sure its strictly legal. Normally when they're made into a commercial in the first place the mounts for rear seats/belts etc are destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It is legal and can be done. Can be fairly costly depending on the origins of your van. Some vans enter the country as cars and are then converted, but some enter as vans and these are the ones that are harder to convert. Someone in the know should be able to tell you with a quick inspection on VIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Physically, the rear seat belt harneses would have to be reinstalled which to my knowledge is a big enough job.

Not sure about the VRT situation.

Would presume the tax would change from commerical to private. Insurance may have to be changed too if it is currently insured as a commerical vehicle.

Don't think it has to be reregistered if it is already on Irish plates.

Might work out cheaper to just sell the van and buy a similar car version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Sell it and buy or import a car version, unless it's about 3 years old or less it won't be worth while, you will be talking about the guts of €5 or 6k to do it right as you will have pay VRT and have then buy and fit seats, belts with new anchor bolts, rear window glass with fittings. When you come to sell the car you will likely have little interest as the conversion will put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If it was converting the other way it can be alot easier. There's no way it would be economical to convert it to passneger unless it origionally was a passenger. Just sell it and buy a passenger. It'll the ALOT less hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭conor2949

could somebody please PM me the contact details of any companies in the UK or ireland that will be able to convert my landcruiser to passenger from commercial.

thanks
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

conor2949 wrote: »
    could somebody please PM me the contact details of any companies in the UK or ireland that will be able to convert my landcruiser to passenger from commercial.

thanks
    Conor
    www.carzone.ie seems to have a good selection. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

conor2949 wrote: »

thanks
    Conor

http://www.mauricemoffettltd.com/ is the cheapest that I have found so far. Been getting some crazy quotes from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You would be liable for VRT, and if you convert the vehicle and don't sort the VRT out, it can be seized, with a penalty and the VRT to be paid before it will be released. Possible court appearance?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

esel wrote: »
    You would be liable for VRT, and if you convert the vehicle and don't sort the VRT out, it can be seized, with a penalty and the VRT to be paid before it will be released. Possible court appearance?

+1

Jaysus i could see some one going from passenger to commercial, but commercial to passenger? I really wouldn't bother, just sell it and buy a passenger, it'll be a alot less hassle, paper work, etc. etc. Either way you will have to pay VRT, which will all the costs and time added up could cost you more in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement